D300 at high Iso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richliow

Jul 9, 2005
Hi Folks (those who have D300).

Do you experience similiar problems like me.
ie at high Iso 3200 and above....
you lose details of colours?

ie it becomes greyish?

yes, indeed. the iso3200 is good for smaller print sizes only.
but it makes logical sense. usually we hit iso3200 under very dim conditions or when it is under tungsten light (note: reduced colours details even to our eye, needless to say a CMOS sensor). Surely we cannnot expect the sensor to see more colours than the eye right? it should only be less.

but if you shoot iso3200 under moderate lighting conditions (i.e. under a smaller f-stop eg. f22? f32?) then chances are there are much more details. try it.

ie it becomes greyish?

Check out 1 of my thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389563 for comparison, all shot in ISO Hi-1 using D300. Here's 1 of the pic from there.

DSC_0479e.jpg

Is this what you consider as lose details of colours? Personally I find it gainy and noisy, colours still present. I believe the result is the same as using high speed film of same ISO.

Cheers!

Is this what you consider as lose details of colours? Personally I find it gainy and noisy, colours still present. I believe the result is the same as using high speed film of same ISO.

Cheers!

Are you sure you can even get this good with film of the same ISO? ;p

ie it becomes greyish?

It depends a lot on your lighting situation. I think you'd probably only use that kind of ISO is very low light conditions. At those conditions, you eye probably cannot even make out if there is even colour, so how do you know if greyish is not the correct colour? ;p

It depends a lot on your lighting situation. I think you'd probably only use that kind of ISO is very low light conditions. At those conditions, you eye probably cannot even make out if there is even colour, so how do you know if greyish is not the correct colour? ;p

Well.. say you are shooting in your room......with the lights dimmed....at 3200....
You will certainly know that the objects you are shooting becomes greyish......

because you are familiar with the original colour of the objects in normal lighting conditions.

In my case, I was shooting my red sofa......which turn out grey at 3200.....
but strangely, the handbag on the sofa still retains its original colour even at 3200 iso.

this makes me think whether Iso 3200 cannot handle RED colour well.....

and for that matter Green colour too.

ie it becomes greyish?

Did you read any reviews of the D300 before buying it? On pretty much any of these mid-range DSLR cameras, 3200 is an extreme stretch, and should only be used if there's no other choice.

Or did you seriously think you could shoot at ISO 3200 and still get a perfectly clear, noise-free image?

Did you read any reviews of the D300 before buying it? On pretty much any of these mid-range DSLR cameras, 3200 is an extreme stretch, and should only be used if there's no other choice.

Or did you seriously think you could shoot at ISO 3200 and still get a perfectly clear, noise-free image?

I think you missed my point completely.
the discussion here is not about a perfectly clear or noise-free image.
The discussion here is about colour retention at 3200.
so far all my red colour objects and green colour objects have turned out greyish,
whereas my yellow is still okay.

Trying to investigate why is that so.

That's the behavior of the sensor when it's pushed to it's limit like that. This happens quite frequently in almost all sensors.

I have not done test above 1600 on the D300
so far with 1600 the colors are well maintained with proper white balancing
(this is done indoors in my room actually)

I guess in your case,try to shoot again maybe outdoors and see if there's still
color error.As for me,after shooting indoors with iso 1600,I think there will be
a visible change with iso 3200 but still have to try to confirm

Shooting outdoors with iso 3200 can be a different story :cool:

That's the behavior of the sensor when it's pushed to it's limit like that. This happens quite frequently in almost all sensors.

In other words, we can say that 3200 in D300 is still yet to be master by Nikon.
hopefully technology improvement can change all that .

In other words, we can say that 3200 in D300 is still yet to be master by Nikon.
hopefully technology improvement can change all that .

Heh, I still remember a time when ISO 400 or even 800 was a big deal in film. There had to be a damn good reason why we needed 800 to shoot, otherwise, tripod + stopwatch + cable release + Bulb mode was the only tools available..

I have not done test above 1600 on the D300
so far with 1600 the colors are well maintained with proper white balancing
(this is done indoors in my room actually)

I guess in your case,try to shoot again maybe outdoors and see if there's still
color error.As for me,after shooting indoors with iso 1600,I think there will be
a visible change with iso 3200 but still have to try to confirm

Shooting outdoors with iso 3200 can be a different story :cool:

:bsmilie:, I was about to ask him to shoot at 1600 on exactly the same spot and conditions. If 1600 shows no degration, we can confirm it's 3200.

I think you missed my point completely.
the discussion here is not about a perfectly clear or noise-free image.
The discussion here is about colour retention at 3200.
so far all my red colour objects and green colour objects have turned out greyish,
whereas my yellow is still okay.

Trying to investigate why is that so.

Can show some picture for us to better appreciate your problem?

Can show some picture for us to better appreciate your problem?

here goes
Ignore the text within...typo error....
left is 3200.....right is 1600

DSC_0169f.jpg

here goes
Ignore the text within...typo error....
left is 3200.....right is 1600

DSC_0169f.jpg

Have you tried changeing the in-camera wb from auto to something else? the auto wb in D300 seems to try to be smart(er). Also, check if the noise reduction is low or normal. low is better than normal IMHO.. That might contribute to the wb deciding things differently..

Ektarpress 1600 push 1 stop

14689INXS.jpg

14689Michael-Bolton.jpg

14689IMG0010.jpg

Haha, check this out!!! Dun play play with film, I believe its technology didn't keep still even with better digital imaging processor coming out.

Cheers!

Ektarpress 1600 push 1 stop

I'm already seeing grains even at this size but I agree colour is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.