D300 and accompanying lens, need recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightice

Oct 5, 2007
Hi guys,

I went to a shop to test the D300 today, it retails for RM5500 with Malaysian 1 year warranty. I'm malaysian.

I tested the Tokina 11-16 and 16-50, Nikkor 12-24 and a really huge one I cannot remember.

I love the 11-16 and the 16-50.

My usage will be taking landscape, candid with friends especially in restaurants etc and also to take photos while travelling. Especially town photos.

It is a pity they did not have the 35mm f/2 for me to test, but based on what I tested, I would like to take pictures that would be exactly how my eyes frame the shot.

Based on the 16-50 , I'd say its around 22-28mm.

I did not get to test the 16-50 in low light conditions, e.g Restaurants or night shots handheld.

But is there a recommended lens I could try? e.g Prime with large aparture for such a scenario? I read that many people recommend the 35 f/2, but I think based on the testing of the 16-50 it may be too tight for what I'd want. I would get the 16-50 but its heavy and after 45min - 1h of holding it and shooting random shots, it gets really tiring.

Reason I choose the D300 over the canon 40D is because I find it feels more natural. Purely a personal thing. The 40D is much lighter though.

I did test the 40D with the canon 10-22mm , in the view finder its very much darker compared to the tokina 11-16 + D300.

AFAIK, there's no reasonable lens that allows you for shooting nite shots without the use of a tripod... unless you dun mind shooting at above ISO1600?

if you want a lens dat does all you listed, i suggest the nikon AFS 17-55mm/f2.8. i suspect a lot of CSers will tell you a whole range of other lenses after my post. bottom line, go and test.

btw, the reason you found the setup heavy is becos the D300 is a heavy body. if you want a lighter body, try the D60.

Second nightwolf75's comment. If you do not need the bells and whistles, the D60 is a swell body. I love the uber light D60 I got for my gf :bsmilie:

Ryan

You cant have your cake and eat it too.

For constant f/2.8, only Nikon's own 17-55 has an internal motor but that is a huge beast. The D60 would not be able to AF with either the Tamron or Tokina lens.

Seems like a D80 + Tamron 17-50 would be the best option...

EDIT: I just came to know that there is a new version of the Tamron 17-50 with an internal motor. That should work with the D60.

Hi guys,

I went to a shop to test the D300 today, it retails for RM5500 with Malaysian 1 year warranty. I'm malaysian.

I tested the Tokina 11-16 and 16-50, Nikkor 12-24 and a really huge one I cannot remember.

I love the 11-16 and the 16-50.

My usage will be taking landscape, candid with friends especially in restaurants etc and also to take photos while travelling. Especially town photos.

It is a pity they did not have the 35mm f/2 for me to test, but based on what I tested, I would like to take pictures that would be exactly how my eyes frame the shot.

Based on the 16-50 , I'd say its around 22-28mm.

I did not get to test the 16-50 in low light conditions, e.g Restaurants or night shots handheld.

But is there a recommended lens I could try? e.g Prime with large aparture for such a scenario? I read that many people recommend the 35 f/2, but I think based on the testing of the 16-50 it may be too tight for what I'd want. I would get the 16-50 but its heavy and after 45min - 1h of holding it and shooting random shots, it gets really tiring.

Reason I choose the D300 over the canon 40D is because I find it feels more natural. Purely a personal thing. The 40D is much lighter though.

I did test the 40D with the canon 10-22mm , in the view finder its very much darker compared to the tokina 11-16 + D300.

Give the Sigma 24/1.8 a try if you think 35/2 is a bit tight.

:eek:
buying a D300 to take candid snapshots of friends in restaurants??
Since you find it heavy, why choose a D300 in the first place?
I even find my D80 too cumbersome to bring to dinners with friends. Sometimes I bring the darn thing out of the bag, and everyone else just "roll eye look sky" as though going "oh boy... here we go. Serious photography again".
Seems like the PnS cameras don't get such a negative reaction ;)

I did try D80 + 50mm f1.8 combo (the lightest combo I own) and it worked quite fine taking photos of my friends in Starbucks. Not TOO tight. Can fit 2 persons in the frame from across the coffee table. 35mm f2 should have no problems whatsoever.

If you insist on D300, perhaps the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Nikon's own "DX King", the AF-S DX 17-55 f2.8, would be a great pairing. You have about RM10,000 handy? You'll need it for both body + lens ;)

Actually main usage is night/day landscape/para shots, thats why the tokina 11-16.

The night candids are just to get more use out of the camera, especially when travelling overseas.

Anyway, thanks for the kind recommendations, I would try to find the 24 f/1.8 and give it a test. I don't see any prices for the 24 f/1.8 sigma on the price guides, anyone have a rough idea its cost in Singapore.

I'll also try to get my hands on the tamron 17-50 to have a go.

My other considered system would be

Canon 40D + Tokina 11-16 + Tamron 17-50 + Sigma 30 f/1.4

it looks like your lens choices aren't going to change much no matter what body you choose. I think that it's a S$700 difference between D300 and 40D.

On the wide end it won't really be much of a difference, but its 1mm on the wide end between both bodies.

Once i get to test the other setup I'll decide between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.