D30 user, do you need ultra fast CF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
Any of D30 user out there using Ultra fast CF?

how great is the different when compare with normal CF? (esp during photo taking in continuous mode)

if i remember correctly, Sandisk Ultra fast CF (128MB) is abt $30 more expensive then normal CF

how abt other brand like Ridata 16x, 20x, Lexar 20x, 24x

which ultra fast CF u all use?

which brand/model is more worth to get?

i know that 1GB microdrive is cheap and fast......but i really dun think it is reliable enough....esp when one of my harddisk just died 2 days ago....i also may carry the CF ard to transfer data...so i think CF is more suitable for me..

btw, i am looking for 128 or 256MB only....

The so called ultra fast Sandisk cards are a marketing gimmick, check out dpreview's comparison and you will see that these cards are not faster, in fact slower than other cards

IMHO, there is not going to be a big difference between the speeds of the card that are available.

The perceived speed is more dependent on the buffer memory speed, whether you are shooting JPG or RAW etc.

I have used the Ridata 256 which is a 20x, Transcend 512 which is a 26x and don't really notice a speed difference.

Hi

for D30, CF card speed matters a lot. Put in a Sandisk one and watch your camera crawl ;)

Best value for money are the Ridata ones - FASTER THAN LEXAR at comparable speeds (specified by both manufacturer)

You can't go wrong when u store your data with Ridata :D

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

for D30, CF card speed matters a lot. Put in a Sandisk one and watch your camera crawl ;)

Best value for money are the Ridata ones - FASTER THAN LEXAR at comparable speeds (specified by both manufacturer)

You can't go wrong when u store your data with Ridata :D

sigh...regretted selling away my Ridata 16X when i sold away my PocketPC last time....

btw, do u mean Ridata 16x or 20x?

how much is it selling now?

thanks Red Dawn...i almost got the SanDisk luckily u reminded me...how do u test if the CF is fast or not BTW? i am too busy to think of a test method now

Originally posted by kamwai

btw, do u mean Ridata 16x or 20x?

the Ridata i tested against the Lexar 8x is the 16x version.
much faster for considerably much less.

thanks Red Dawn...i almost got the SanDisk luckily u reminded me...how do u test if the CF is fast or not BTW? i am too busy to think of a test method now

simple - i put into Jed's D1 and my own D30 and compare write speeds of a series of buffer filling shots.

Bear in mind i have no experience with Sandisk's "Ultra" series of supposedly ultra fast CF. but i doubt they will be any much faster for the kind of price premium u have to shell out for one.

wonder which shop will open the box and let me try out which is fastest....

so exactly how u test?
continous shot at RAW until buffer full...then see how long it takes for the red LED to stop blinking??

or one RAW shot enough already?

If you are getting the Ridata 256, they are 20x speed. The 128 ones are 16x speed.

Originally posted by kamwai
wonder which shop will open the box and let me try out which is fastest....

so exactly how u test?
continous shot at RAW until buffer full...then see how long it takes for the red LED to stop blinking??

or one RAW shot enough already?

continuous JPEG shooting for 8-9 shots, and then visually look at the blinking LED and counting the seconds.

it should be very obvious. Putting in a first generation Sandisk CF and a ridata CF and the ridata will finish the write operation much faster. Even with Ridata 16x and Lexar 8x, it's farily obvious which one is faster.

i have no experience (and money) for trying out Lexar's faster offerings compared to comparable ridata and Ultra Sandisk cards.
But from wat i've seen, the Ridata does offer more value for speed for money.

I understand Lexar Media offers lifetime warranty for their cards; this may account for the price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.