D30 & D60 shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
Two shots of Ronald McDonald taken today at JBP. One taken with D30, and another with D60.

d30ronald.jpg

Canon EOS D30 (Custom White Balance)

d60ronald.jpg

Canon EOS D60 (Auto White Balance)

Both shots were taken handheld, using the same Canon 50mm F1.8 Mk I lens. Both resized to 400x600 pixels using Photoshop 6.0.

Thanks to Tomshen for letting me use his D60.

Originally posted by rty
Two shots of Ronald McDonald taken today at JBP. One taken with D30, and another with D60.

d30ronald.jpg

Canon EOS D30 (Custom White Balance)

d60ronald.jpg

Canon EOS D60 (Auto White Balance)

Both shots were taken handheld, using the same Canon 50mm F1.8 Mk I lens. Both resized to 400x600 pixels using Photoshop 6.0.

Thanks to Tomshen for letting me use his D60.

The D60 one appears to have a higher contrast and colour saturation.

Regards
CK

Strange, I can't display my pictures using the IMG tag. :(

D60 pic looks a bit warm, is it because the WB setting? I haven't set up the custom WB setting, will check it later.

Originally posted by tomshen
D60 pic looks a bit warm, is it because the WB setting? I haven't set up the custom WB setting, will check it later.

Hi Tom

remember the day at SEED when i tested out your camera in the food court?

i told u the D60 seems to produce MCUH warmer images as well....i think i read a similar comment in dpreview recently......Adam Tow did a test of the D30 / D60 / 1D and commented on the same characteristic..

the D30 shot looks to be in better focus compared to the D60 one.

is the contrast better for the D60 one? I thought it is the opposite but then I am not a pro...........

rty, any comments on the speed of the cameras? Both have manual or mechanical zoom lens right? and what is the interval lag between shots? Can it take shots at intervals similar to normal SLRs?

And how fast is the auto focussing?

Originally posted by kaipium
the D30 shot looks to be in better focus compared to the D60 one.

Well it's very difficult to judge at those sizes. If anything looks unsharp at those sizes they will be painfully unsharp in the full resolution versions.

is the contrast better for the D60 one? I thought it is the opposite but then I am not a pro...........

Constrast is a subjective thing. Ideally a camera will be able to judge the contrast of a scene accurately and interprete it exactly to the photographer's intentions, but this is not always possible. To tell from one specific shot is impossible, because while one camera might render the scene closer to what you hope to be, it may interpret every other scene completely wrongly to what you perceive. Put another way, it's impossible to say that a high contrast rendition is good, or a low contrast rendition is good, it depends completely on the scene. And while I may get flamed for this, the advantage of the digital (whether captured or scanned) is that once you have the details captured, you can then adjust the contrast to suit. Hence it usually makes more sense to err (slightly) on the side of low contrast so that details will not be lost at either extreme.

rty, any comments on the speed of the cameras? Both have manual or mechanical zoom lens right? and what is the interval lag between shots? Can it take shots at intervals similar to normal SLRs?

Both accept interchangeable lenses from the Canon EOS line and hence take the attributes of those lenses. Zooms are completely manual... depending on what you mean by mechanical, then they might or might not be mechanical. They are mechanical in the sense that they are not electronically operated -- you turn the ring and the lens zooms; however they are not electronically mechanical, if you get what I mean. As in, not in the way that, say, a car is mechanical, which it is.

And how fast is the auto focussing?

Maybe I shouldn't go here. Several thoughts:

[1] Both these cameras have poor autofocusing by Canon's standards.

[2] Some say still faster than anything Nikon can throw at the autofocusing problem. I dispute this, as does Phil Askey among others.

[3] At any rate, I personally believe that unless you need the fastest thing out there, modern AF on any SLR camera, D30, D60, F55, EOS 300, whatever, is fast enough for 95% of the applications out there. Possibly even more. That makes point [2] moot. Point [1] as well come to think of it.

Originally posted by kamwai
hmm...any reason why not using AWB for both camera?
In fact he was using AWB, which has a warmer setting than that of D30. Some say it's an improvement over d30 and some may find it a bit over warm. I haven't fully explore this issue coz now gotta too many other things to look at first.

Jed, thanks for the reply. A lot of my questions have been resolved.

Only last question is the interval time between shots. How long is the delay? For example, my C2100 has a 2-3 seconds delay between shots for the camera to write the data which I am finding quite irritating........this is the probelm of exposing myself to the 1D.....

There isn't delay if you stay within the camera's buffer, about 8 shots for both cameras. As in, you can take 3fps for 8 shots, and then a single shot every time a single picture has been written to the CF card. Of course once the buffer has been flushed to the card you can keep shooting at 3fps again. So if you have 2 images left in the buffer (six have been written to the card already) you can shoot at 3fps for another 2 seconds.

Trust me this should be more than enough unless you're shooting indiscriminately. My main areas of shooting are in sports and wildlife and I don't run out of buffer space.

Jed, thanks for the info again.

Yep, sounds like the D30 or D60 is more than enough.....

Originally posted by Jed
There isn't delay if you stay within the camera's buffer, about 8 shots for both cameras. As in, you can take 3fps for 8 shots, and then a single shot every time a single picture has been written to the CF card. Of course once the buffer has been flushed to the card you can keep shooting at 3fps again. So if you have 2 images left in the buffer (six have been written to the card already) you can shoot at 3fps for another 2 seconds.

Trust me this should be more than enough unless you're shooting indiscriminately. My main areas of shooting are in sports and wildlife and I don't run out of buffer space.

For D30, let's say u just shot a 4s shot, u have to wait abt 8s for the camera to process the pic, (i dun mean writing to CF as the red light is off) then after the 8s "busy" then it starts to write to CF, but during this 8s of 'processing' time, you cannot shoot anymore even u are in continuous mode, u have to wait for the pic to finish process first then u can shoot another one. If u are using faster shutter speed, that is alrite, but if u are using long exposure, it will become very slow already.

Read from review that for D60, you can shoot again even if the first photo still processing, the processing will be paused once you press the shutter, is that true?

I'm not 100% sure I know what you're saying, but I got the last bit. With the D30, you can keep shooting, as long as you're set to continuous shooting rather than single shot. Which you should be anyway for the greater flexibility.

Originally posted by Jed
I'm not 100% sure I know what you're saying, but I got the last bit. With the D30, you can keep shooting, as long as you're set to continuous shooting rather than single shot. Which you should be anyway for the greater flexibility.

now i know why already.....ok...let's say if i shoot at continous mode at 4s shutter speed (at lowest resolution and highest compression), i have to wait 8s for the camera to process the pic (before writing to the CF as the red LED doesn't blink). even i hold on to the shutter or press the shutter again and again...it will shows busy and i cannot take the next pic until the 8s is over.

I repeated the above with 1s shutter, and there will be a 2s of 'busy' time until i can take the next shot. Next i tried single shot mode, but it is still the same.

In the end, i disabled the noise reduction and found out that it only takes abt 2s to process even i set the shutter to 10s......so actually the main reason for the delay is due to noise reduction

but if i use faster shutter, let's say 1/250, then i can really shoot continously because the processing time is too short to be noticed...noise reduction is not activated for such short exposure too....

Quote from dpreview
There was a problem with the D30 in the way that it used its buffer in Single Shot drive mode, you couldn't take the next shot until the currently buffered image had been processed (converted into the JPEG / RAW output file). This meant that after taking a single shot the camera displayed a 'Busy' warning on the viewfinder LCD (approx. 1.5 seconds) and you couldn't take the next shot until it had gone.

This limitation has now been removed, with the D60 you can take shots as quickly as either you can press the shutter release or the camera can auto focus. And because of the way the D60 uses its buffer (see above) it means that in Single-shot drive mode you will almost NEVER find yourself in a situation where you can't take the next shot.

so my question is, does D60 have the same problem that i mentioned above when noise reduction is on & shoot with long exposure???

Status
Not open for further replies.