D3 or D610

rodel

Sep 22, 2006
i am thinking to upgrade my D90, which should I choose D3 or D610

thank you

Since you mentioned these two specific models. I am sure you know of the differences / specifications between the D3 & D610.

The question is what type / genre of photography that you will be doing?

If you don't shoot action / sports / low light / high-iso photography, the D610 will be more suitable.

Last edited:
Why not d7200? That's the refreshed model of the D90..

D7200 is a good choice.
i am using a 24-70 on my D90 and i want to fully utilize this lens on FX format.
thus i am in between D610 and D3.

Last edited:
Anyway, everyone want a better camera, some even want the best of the best. Whether is the camera able to release it potential fully in the hands of the photographer? that is not the topic of dicussion and nobody want to touch on it.

So just need tell them which is better camera can liao.

Anyway, everyone want a better camera, some even want the best of the best. Whether is the camera able to release it potential fully in the hands of the photographer? that is not the topic of dicussion and nobody want to touch on it. So just need tell them which is better camera can liao.

Always when in doubt, get both since both 2nd hand prices are not more than $2k each.

Always when in doubt, get both since both 2nd hand prices are not more than $2k each.

best advice ever:)
buy and try
dont like just sell
lol

D90/D5000 sensor still one of the prettiest drawing sensors there is. At any rate if you sell the D90 you will miss it...you'll be sorry. :)

I am not sure if D3 holds low light high ISO advantage over D610: the sensors are 3-4 generations apart (D3-D300/D3s-D7000/D4-D7100-D600/D4s-D7200-D610).

DxO scores here.

Dynamic range score D4s ISO 3074, D610 ISO 2925, D3 ISO 2290 (the higher the better).

I think the D3 holds sway only in the high fps rate. The AF speed and accuracy may also have been surpassed.

Personally I would go for the later/latest generation unless I need the build and high fps rate (like for birding - I am contemplating getting D3s for this purpose, for comparison my FF solutions are D800 and Df).

At the similar cost range (mostly used prices +-#2000), speed D3s, resolution D800/E, high ISO Df. But my personal view in this matter is that the optimum solution (cost-performance compromise) is the D750. D7200 for reach but TS wants to optimally use his lenses, so this is out.

Can explain why D610 not good with low light/high iso?

Slow to AF, hunt in low light.

Even with a 24-70, it hunts in 90% darkness. IQ is sucky. If not in low light, it's pretty decent.

I am not sure if D3 holds low light high ISO advantage over D610: the sensors are 3-4 generations apart (D3-D300/D3s-D7000/D4-D7100-D600/D4s-D7200-D610).

DxO scores here.

Dynamic range score D4s ISO 3074, D610 ISO 2925, D3 ISO 2290 (the higher the better).

I think the D3 holds sway only in the high fps rate. The AF speed and accuracy may also have been surpassed.

Personally I would go for the later/latest generation unless I need the build and high fps rate (like for birding - I am contemplating getting D3s for this purpose, for comparison my FF solutions are D800 and Df).

At the similar cost range (mostly used prices +-#2000), speed D3s, resolution D800/E, high ISO Df. But my personal view in this matter is that the optimum solution (cost-performance compromise) is the D750. D7200 for reach but TS wants to optimally use his lenses, so this is out.

Shoot both at 6400, -2EV. Push up and you will see the difference.

Shoot both at 6400, -2EV. Push up and you will see the difference.

Didn't know capability of camera is to be judged based on under-exposed shots... :dunno:

Shoot both at 6400 metered correctly and see what you get.

Last edited:
Either camera will do fine. TS need to remember that D3 is quite old, meaning any 2nd hand ones you get will be quite old as well. Electronics break down over time and use. Personally, from a reliability stand point i will choose a newer camera.

Pro body D3S still the best,this beast never fail me even at 12600 iso

Didn't know capability of camera is to be judged based on under-exposed shots... :dunno:

Shoot both at 6400 metered correctly and see what you get.

It's not. It's about how far the image can be pushed. Both metered correctly, the IQ of the D3 will still be better.

It's not. It's about how far the image can be pushed. Both metered correctly, the IQ of the D3 will still be better.

Show...

I have shot with a D700 and now with D800, and I can certainly tell you that when metered correctly, D800 wins everytime. When pushed, I usually delete the image, so I don't really know. My premise is, of course, that the D700 sensor is the D3 sensor, which you may disagree.

And no, with the DxO data as my basis, I cannot agree with you on D3 IQ being better.