D3 or D600

Hardie369

Feb 16, 2011
Hi guys, wanna get some opinion.. which is more worth it to purchase? Have e oil spots issue been resolved??

Heard about the D610? If you can wait and see.

D4 as main body and D600 as backup.

Nobody likes the Nikon D3...

I'd pick the Nikon D600. If I were to consider the size of the D3, I'd definitely choose a Nikon D3s or a Nikon D4 over the Nikon D3.

Thanks for the suggestions.. budget wise D4 and d3s is out of e question.. hehe.. D610?? I originated from Oly background so still contemplating Canon or nikon.. Nikon low light capabilities is one of e pulling factors..

Would prefer the D600 for the more casual shooter.

The D600 has a higher dynamic range and ISO wise is equal or better than the D3 when sample down to the same image size.

What this translates to is that you can retain and recover more colors in your landscape photos and shadows in other general subjects. It is also smaller and lighter and hence more friendly to body fatigue for long day shootings or carrying around.

Thanks for the suggestions.. budget wise D4 and d3s is out of e question.. hehe.. D610?? I originated from Oly background so still contemplating Canon or nikon.. Nikon low light capabilities is one of e pulling factors..

I like my D3 for the 'shiok' factor - intangible stuff like the solid build, short mirror blackout, comfortable grip, etc. And if i decide to shoot the D3 for pleasure, apart from the weight penalty, it's a bit like driving a slightly older high end sports car..

most of the time i'm shooting for web anyway so the MP count and dynamic range work fine in most cases. Too many MPs would just be a hindrance at the end of the day.

I'm sure the newer cameras outclass the 6 year old D3/D700 in some other aspects, just sharing the reasons why i haven't felt the urge to change. For other users it may be a different value proposition. :)

Enjoy shooting whatever you buy!

Thanks for all the reply.. so far went to Canon Vivo to test e 70d 7d 5dmark3 and 6d.. I tink 70d too light.. whr is e nearest nikon showroom that can test2 the body?

And the 100d is super light.. like my oly e620 back then...

the D3 has been discontinued if I am not mistaken.

You can test the D600 at the Nikon show room. Please take note that they are no longer located at the Fuji Xerox building.

Thanks for all the reply.. so far went to Canon Vivo to test e 70d 7d 5dmark3 and 6d.. I tink 70d too light.. whr is e nearest nikon showroom that can test2 the body?

And the 100d is super light.. like my oly e620 back then...

you can try the D4 D3s D800 D800E and Canon 1Dx.
Oh ya...You can take a look at Pentax and Sony too. They are equally good too.

Its not just about Canon and Nikon only. But if that's what you only looking for. Then. Go ahead.

Nobody likes the Nikon D3...

I'd pick the Nikon D600. If I were to consider the size of the D3, I'd definitely choose a Nikon D3s or a Nikon D4 over the Nikon D3.

I like the D3... Doesn't mean I don't like the D3s or D4... but D3 in its day is king. And my D700 (same sensor as D3) is still going strong and still being used for paid assignments.

you can try the D4 D3s D800 D800E and Canon 1Dx.
Oh ya...You can take a look at Pentax and Sony too. They are equally good too.

Its not just about Canon and Nikon only. But if that's what you only looking for. Then. Go ahead.

Thanks for the suggestions bro.. but those are way beyond my pay grade.. haha.. can only look2 see2 approach.. budget wise abt 2-3k only. ..

Anyway I saw technogadgets price quite steady lei

Unless you are doing paid assignments and really needs a full frame. Or is printing very big size. I think the D7100 is one very good camera.

I recently just acquired one and if you like to have a good build feel, just add a grip.

Thanks for the suggestions bro.. but those are way beyond my pay grade.. haha.. can only look2 see2 approach.. budget wise abt 2-3k only. ..

Anyway I saw technogadgets price quite steady lei
Erm..... You looking for first hand or second hand product?
And do you already have any FX lenses?

With a budget of 2-3k... and you're looking for D600 or D3..not say its not possible but i think its abit hard..unless u already have FX lenses.
If not you will be left with very little or no more budget for your lens. (I dont know about you..but in most cases..a lens is more important than the body..IMO)

So..If u dont have any FX lenses and with that budget..I honestly think.. Its better for you to buy a APS-C camera and mount a good glass on it instead.

Last edited:
Unless you are doing paid assignments and really needs a full frame. Or is printing very big size. I think the D7100 is one very good camera.

I recently just acquired one and if you like to have a good build feel, just add a grip.

Thx for ur advice.. how's e build quality? Similar to d7000?

So far any oil spot issues??