D2H Users?

Ironman

Nov 14, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Dear D2H Users,

Can I check with you if the pictures taken both raw/jpeg are of bluish/greenish tint?

Is there any custom curve available?

cheers

There shouldn't be a uniform and general blue/green tint. As with a lot of cameras, particularly older ones, automatic white balance can be flakey as well.

It's been a while since I used the camera so I cannot remember if there were hue settings within that, and I never uploaded a tone curve but if something can do that then Nikon Capture will be the one that can do it.

somehow i notice my shots were generally towards bluish/greenish. even at custom white balance using Kelvin reading, my sunny outdoor shots needed approx 7300K in order to reach a warmer tone...

Checked Shooting Menu HUE setting?

If you have the user manual, turn to pg 69.

Last edited:
i'll try to post a picture over this weekend... i will set everything to AUTO, ie WB, Tone Compensation, Sharpening, and Hue at 0 deg.

i'll try to post a picture over this weekend... i will set everything to AUTO, ie WB, Tone Compensation, Sharpening, and Hue at 0 deg.

If its a new camera (bought from someone else etc.), maybe its worthwhile resetting the "Camera Settings" to Factory state....

-- marios

If its a new camera (bought from someone else etc.), maybe its worthwhile resetting the "Camera Settings" to Factory state....

-- marios

I've already reset to factory state... i'll be bringing along my cam out later, hope to show some pics...

just to check, do the pics shown in the camera LCD correctly reflect the WB condition from on ur monitor?

I've already reset to factory state... i'll be bringing along my cam out later, hope to show some pics...

just to check, do the pics shown in the camera LCD correctly reflect the WB condition from on ur monitor?
For my camera (D700 and D3 series) I found the pic on the monitor and on the camera LCD to be around there, no very significant differences, though I shoot in raw in order to modify the temp in ps.

Since you have reset the camera settings maybe you need to shoot in a control environment next to someone else and compare shots.

Ask the previous owner of any issues.

Send to NCS for a checkup explaining what the issue is, show examples from your camera & another camera, and hope for the best (pray for: "oh, its just a button that you need to click", fear: "sensor this and that"... )

-- marios

Just recalled something and not being biased towards other make.

I dumped 3rd party aftermarket lenses due to the said tint/hue during FILM days especially when shot on slides eg kodachrome 25 & 64.

These lenses are good during the first couple of years but after that they make excellent paper-weights in the office due to the said tint/hue.
I have a friend whose AF Tamron lens gave him the said tint/hue when shot with D300s but easily corrected with PP.

I still have one Tamron lens that i like and overcome the issue by fitting it with two 1B Skylight filter.

Since yours is giving blue/green at 0 tint/hue setting, have you tried setting it to +value?
Remove all lens filter?

Btw, does your D2H shows "error" on the 1st shutter trip?
It's a small issue and will go away after the first shutter trip.
Mine does and i've received notification from Nikon that they're aware of the problem and i should send mine over for free rectification of the said issue but that was years ago.
I wonder whether they'll carry out the retification for free now.

Just try out what Marios said otherwise its the service center as recommended.

Last edited:
D2H Test shot
D2H%20Test.jpg

Matrix Metering
1/640
f1.4
85mm
WB Auto +0
Tone Auto
Hue 0 deg
Sharpness Auto
Mode 1
ISO 200

D700 Test shot
D700%20Test.jpg

Matrix Metering
1/125
f1.4
85mm
WB Auto
D2XMode 1
ISO 200

Last edited:
Just recalled something and not being biased towards other make.

I dumped 3rd party aftermarket lenses due to the said tint/hue during FILM days especially when shot on slides eg kodachrome 25 & 64.

These lenses are good during the first couple of years but after that they make excellent paper-weights in the office due to the said tint/hue.
I have a friend whose AF Tamron lens gave him the said tint/hue when shot with D300s but easily corrected with PP.

I still have one Tamron lens that i like and overcome the issue by fitting it with two 1B Skylight filter.

Since yours is giving blue/green at 0 tint/hue setting, have you tried setting it to +value?
Remove all lens filter?

Btw, does your D2H shows "error" on the 1st shutter trip?
It's a small issue and will go away after the first shutter trip.
Mine does and i've received notification from Nikon that they're aware of the problem and i should send mine over for free rectification of the said issue but that was years ago.
I wonder whether they'll carry out the retification for free now.

Just try out what Marios said otherwise its the service center as recommended.
i did try to meddle with the Hue Setting, like not much difference leh...
my shutter sometimes does give a ERR, checked with NSC, the shutter is going to give up soon...

anyway, i did pay a visit to NSC, they told me that there is nothing wrong with the sensor as it maybe due to "older" technology (since D2H was released in 2003) vs my D700.

As for possibility of filter, I am using Nikon NC filter. Lens also using Nikon, mainly 17-35 and 85mm. guess its technology that made the difference...

Your comparision test can be considered void as you did not use the same shutter speed on the D2H as your D700.
Therefore the photo from your D2H looked about 1.5 stop underexposed.
You should not have used any pic control mode on your D700 to run a comparision test.
I believe some beg to differ.

The ambient light sensor on top of D2 series cameras can also affect the WB of your photos.
Was it taken indoor?
I do agree your D2H pic have a green tint but that could due to the flourescent lighting if i'm not wrong.

Another suggestion is to set the tone and sharpness setting to Normal and use Manual Exposure.

Try getting hold of Kodak's or Wratten's Colour Chart and include it with your subject for all comparision test shots.

As to the "error" after the 1st shutter trip and a blank exposure, i was told that it was caused by poor electronic parts not charging up properly and/or firmwares and not some BS about shutter going to give up. It a minor issue to me and no problem after subsequent shutter releases.
Otherwise, my D2H has no other issue except maybe it need a new set of rubber covers which has expanded slightly.

You can check whether your is covered under their service advisory, see here
http://www.nikon.com.sg/pagearticle.php?pageid=67

Also you can google up "Nikon D2H first shutter error".
This is what i found http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=20093

Your comparision test can be considered void as you did not use the same shutter speed on the D2H as your D700.
Therefore the photo from your D2H looked about 1.5 stop underexposed.
You should not have used any pic control mode on your D700 to run a comparision test.
I believe some beg to differ.

The ambient light sensor on top of D2 series cameras can also affect the WB of your photos.
Was it taken indoor?
I do agree your D2H pic have a green tint but that could due to the flourescent lighting if i'm not wrong.

Another suggestion is to set the tone and sharpness setting to Normal and use Manual Exposure.

Try getting hold of Kodak's or Wratten's Colour Chart and include it with your subject for all comparision test shots.

As to the "error" after the 1st shutter trip and a blank exposure, i was told that it was caused by poor electronic parts not charging up properly and/or firmwares and not some BS about shutter going to give up. It a minor issue to me and no problem after subsequent shutter releases.
Otherwise, my D2H has no other issue except maybe it need a new set of rubber covers which has expanded slightly.

You can check whether your is covered under their service advisory, see here
http://www.nikon.com.sg/pagearticle.php?pageid=67

Also you can google up "Nikon D2H first shutter error".
This is what i found http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=20093
i agree with your 1st statement mentioning about the shutter speed difference. while i was typing the info, i realised it may not be a fair comparison. :eek: However, I am not too sure either if exposure does makes a pic look greener/bluer. Maybe i try again later today...

:think: as for picture control, what should i use then? :dunno: Standard (SD)? there isn't any Mode 1, 2 or 3 for D700. Therefore i thought D2XMode 1 picture control maybe a best use for this test. Maybe I try SD picture control for the next test.

:think: as for fluorescent lighting present, i don't recall there is any, but this shot is taken indoor, with ambient light from yesterday harsh 34-35 deg sunlight shinning in through the glass wall while 3 tungsten bulb deco, located some 6m away from my location. These bulbs are not very bright compare when compare with the ambient light. Well, i would say they may make a slight difference.

Well, i do notice that my D2H pics turned out quite normal when its under the hot sun, using the exif datas listed above (only difference is shutter & aperature obviously). U mentioned about the ambient light sensor, could this be the problem? does your indoor shots also have such issues as well?

as for my shutter, it was NSC that info me that my shutter maybe dying soon. my problem is after a few shots, or a few 10s shots, the top LCD panel will show a ERR, however, currently it can be easily overcome by pressing the shutter button again and everything seems to be back to normal.

Maybe one day we can go for a shoot to see if mine really has a problem (or the problem is me, haha). :bsmilie: