d200 vs 5d review by a "N user" who owns d200

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT_

Nov 4, 2005
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200-vs-canon.htm

my summary version
resolution is higher.. oh well.. nevermind it's almost same..??
5D still uses a dial that requires a second hand.. ???
D200 is weather proof?? I don't think the 5D is??
and lots more....

yahyahyah.. jus nothing is better then.. yah i know..

C vs N. Yet again. Can postpone till after Christmas for whatever reasons it was started?

Thank you for the link, and it was interesting reading. The D200 even made me a little excited when I first heard about it, even though I know I clearly have no more money to spend on it.

The one sentence in the review that really struck me what this:

"The D200 trumps the Canon 20D in spades, and every time Nikon announces something Canon one-ups them the next week."

How true. All camera manufacturers...Nikon and Canon in particular, have tricks up their sleeves that will be revealed in due time. They're just playing a waiting game, waiting for the competitor to respond so that they themselves can strike back even harder.

As far as I'm concerned, I am already stuck into a Canon system. It will be a relatively costly exercise for me to decide to change systems and have to sell and buy new lenses.

Again, as I always say, everything has its strengths and flaws. It's ultimately up to you to decide if you can tolerate the flaws or now, or if the strengths completely outweigh the flaws.

Even a full-frame sensor in itself is a disadvantage, in my opinion. And so is size and weight. Therefore, I feel that even the biggest and best cameras on the market these days have a flaw. Who'd bring a 1DsMKII with them everywhere in preparation for a possible candid shot? I find it difficult to do that even with a 350D and it's quite annoying to have to remove everything from a dry box and hook the lens up before leaving the house for a trip.

With a compact digicam, I'll just slip it in my pocket and I'm ready to go. BUT, a compact digicam also has flaws...the shutter lag, poorer image quality...etc We could go on for months.

fWord said:
With a compact digicam, I'll just slip it in my pocket and I'm ready to go. BUT, a compact digicam also has flaws...the shutter lag, poorer image quality...etc We could go on for months.
Haha... same sentiments... I've been using my Fuji F10 instead of my bulky DSLR more frequently, bringing it everywhere instead of a bulky camera bag.

Think we have been inundated by many "digital marvels" recently that we never pondered what we actually need... I'll use what best to help me take that shot, be it a compact or a DSLR ;p

Xing said:
Haha... same sentiments... I've been using
my Fuji F10 instead of the bulky DSLR more frequently, bringing it everywhere instead of a bulky camera bag.

Think we have been inundated by many "digital marvels" recently that we never pondered what we actually need... I'll use what best to help me take that shot, be it a compact or a DSLR ;p

The Fuji F10 or F11 is what I'd choose if I were forced to sell my whole DSLR system and go for a compact (ie. no superzooms either). The high ISO performance is stellar, compared to other cameras in its category, so it's a highly versatile shooting tool.

DT_ said:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200-vs-canon.htm

D200 is weather proof?? I don't think the 5D is??
and lots more....

As for flash sync speed, the D200 isn't any better than the D70s.
It is less than 1/500sec. It seems the D70 sometimes can even sync with flash at 1/700sec.
Try it if you have a D70 or D70s.

Faster flash sync speed is required for outdoor action photography or backlit subject.

DT_ said:
Ken Rockwell ... well wasn't he the chap that wrote a long piece on the D70 being superior to the Canon 20D and made a huge point about the Nikon's much faster flash sync than the Canon's 1/250s? And a few other things that were quite biased.

And its actually quite interesting that the Nikon D2X later came with the 1/250s flash sync. So if we follow his point of view, the D2X is actually less of a camera than the D70 :bsmilie: :bsmilie: If you want balanced reviews there are a number sites including http://www.nikonians.com/

The D200 is actually a very nice camera from the previews I had read .. except for noise and banding issues when compared to Canon's current offering. AF on the D200 looks very promising and its something that I find Canon to be lacking on the 20D/5D offerings. YMMV

ken rockwell is a kuku ;p

user111 said:

aiyah.... dun put it until so direct mah.... lets just say his reviews is pretty interesting if you are looking for some article to read just to pass your time..... e.g. something like "lao fu zi" magazine:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Just to clarify, on the D70 you can sync up to 1/500 only, I don't know how to sync over 1/700 but in normal circumstances you cannot.
D200 can sync up to 1/8000 with high speed sync activated.

forward said:
As for flash sync speed, the D200 isn't any better than the D70s.
It is less than 1/500sec. It seems the D70 sometimes can even sync with flash at 1/700sec.
Try it if you have a D70 or D70s.

Faster flash sync speed is required for outdoor action photography or backlit subject.

I think that KUKU didn't own a 5D. Just doing comparsion from other reports or some specification from sources.

:bsmilie:
user111 said:
:bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bigeyes:

He can actually review a camera or make comparative references without actually handling one. Talk about the irony of "reviewing". And he still has an amazing legion of followers who laps up his "reviews".

idor said:
aiyah.... dun put it until so direct mah.... lets just say his reviews is pretty interesting if you are looking for some article to read just to pass your time..... e.g. something like "lao fu zi" magazine:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

yea.. that's my point.. upon reading his article i find that it's very unfair, worst.. some pple tends to believe..

ASk tat kuku to do proper comparison, be more prof on his reviews. No ethical at all. wat another dumbass to be shot down???

DT_ said:
yea.. that's my point.. upon reading his article i find that it's very unfair, worst.. some pple tends to believe..

I think that's what he's known for.. but I still read him because I like his style, even if I don't necessarily always agree with the content.

Regarding the earlier post about candid shooting.. I own a 350D but will bring out either an XA2, Yashica Electro 35 GS or (soon) Canonet QL17. Like you said they all have their pros and cons. I would be happy with a D200 or a 5D too! But they're too big for me and give me arm pains. :)

shinken said:
C vs N. Yet again. Can postpone till after Christmas for whatever reasons it was started?

oh i not trying to spark a C v N war.. and i see no reason to post this thread on whichever fengshui date.. it's an "interesting" review i find quite unfair and believe most C user would think like i did, such as :angry: :thumbsd: :hammer: :ipuke: ... well, i only post it on canon forum..

+evenstar said:
He left out the fact that 5D is a FF DSLR...;p ;p yea, had some fun reading it to pass time:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

under the first paragraph.. it goes.. .. .. my goodness, a FF is a FF, it's no similarities from any crop sensor DC.. this first para enough to make me blur.. :dunno:

"

Similarities!!

Resolution is about ..........

"

Status
Not open for further replies.