D200 + the sea = ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlcling

Mar 10, 2007
hi guys,

thinking of bringing my cam to a fishing trip, but that would mean sea water environment although will minimize contact with sea spray....

any tips for caring about the d200? should i bring a dry box along?

Whats the main purpose of the trip?

If its fishing, forget the camera and juz concentrate on fishing. If its photo taking, then why dun get bothered too much about the environment. As long as you wipe it after use, corossion will be reduced greatly.

If you are only away for a few days, then don't bring the dry box. Also, dry box doesnt help in reducing corrosion.

salt water with camera never ok.:rolleyes:

The salt water causes most of the corrosion. In fact, in case of flooding, it is recommended to soak the unit in fresh water... since this reduces corrosion. The D200 is weather-sealed, as are some Nikon lenses. Try to get some kind of protection, even if only splash-proof. You cannot afford to soak in pure water at the end of your trip. :eek:

Bear in mind that you might ruin or compromise all your equipment on this trip. Is it worth it? You decide. Once exposed to water, there is no turning back.

brought the d70 out on a fishing trip before off krabi.
came back alive. stored everything in a sealine bag when not in use.

u aren't going wakeboarding or planning to go deep sea and hitting some storms rite...???
if u gonna be out for a couple of days, it will be ok. the d200 is weathersealed.

gaffer up like bak zhang... when return just remove the tape and give it a good wipe. :bsmilie:

Dun forget the weather seal doesn't protect the exposed screws, etc...

Be careful with the sea spray, they can be very fine. If it's a few day trip, I'd suggest you go with something less expensive. Dun forget, you should be packing gear which may be lost if you do meet with any mishaps (touch wood though)

My fren just lost a few thousand dollars worth of fishing gear when a poor condition ferry capsized. Lucky all of them escaped safely.

Dun forget the weather seal doesn't protect the exposed screws, etc...

Be careful with the sea spray, they can be very fine. If it's a few day trip, I'd suggest you go with something less expensive. Dun forget, you should be packing gear which may be lost if you do meet with any mishaps (touch wood though)

My fren just lost a few thousand dollars worth of fishing gear when a poor condition ferry capsized. Lucky all of them escaped safely.

why must bring cheaper equipment?

eg. a biz man have a $10million boat, but scare to be damage from floating woodens logs out at sea, leave the boat in the dock, whats the point?

You might try 'Camera Rain Covers' such as those sold by Photosharp.

http://abetterphotoguide.bizhosting.com/

The advantage you have is that you are not going under water, where you would really need a housing (2k$ +++).

haiz, just get some spare filter so you can dump them when they get too dirty... camera/lens body ain't that bad unless the water is really splashing badly.

why must bring cheaper equipment?

eg. a biz man have a $10million boat, but scare to be damage from floating woodens logs out at sea, leave the boat in the dock, whats the point?

Up to you...

But if I'm going for a fishing trip and not a photography trip, why should I bring high end equipment along?? :dunno:

Your choice, I'm just telling you the dangers involved and if you like to take risks, go ahead.

hi guys,

thinking of bringing my cam to a fishing trip, but that would mean sea water environment although will minimize contact with sea spray....

any tips for caring about the d200? should i bring a dry box along?
you should leave your D200 in the dry box at home.
bring a weather proof disposable camera, and enjoy your fishing trip.

looks like i shall not be bringing... but i'm not expecting to treat it to really rough conditions... but just thought i could be prepared for sunsets/rise.... :)

Up to you...

But if I'm going for a fishing trip and not a photography trip, why should I bring high end equipment along?? :dunno:

Your choice, I'm just telling you the dangers involved and if you like to take risks, go ahead.

if the boat sink, all will be lost, its on the sea, dangers are sure there, boats are design to float, but they will also sink ma.

if the boat sink, all will be lost, its on the sea, dangers are sure there, boats are design to float, but they will also sink ma.

if all is lost, then i don't mind having my stuff sink with me.... hahaha

if all is lost, then i don't mind having my stuff sink with me.... hahaha

that aside

enjoy your fishing trip

catch some big fish and show us pics;p

Go ahead then...

But I'm a fisho and a photog, so I won't want to divide my attention on 2 different hobbies on one trip. Either I concentrate on fishing or photography.

And I,for one won't want to risk such equipment when there are possible dangers to it. If you are happy, go ahead.

but anyways worries about the boat sinking aside, whats the general care for it?

i.e, wipe with a damp cloth after the trip, etc, etc...

I used to bring my SLR to sea many years ago, but recently my Nokia died even when there was no direct spray at it.

Most will tell you to get a digital compact for $300+ and a housing for another $300+ and you have complete peace of mind. I do that (although my compact cost a fair bit more)... and bring the camera swimming, snorkelling, diving with me. And the compact (if selected carefully) can bring back gorgeous sunrise and sunset photos.

I would not bring my DSLR on a fishing trip.

but anyways worries about the boat sinking aside, whats the general care for it?

i.e, wipe with a damp cloth after the trip, etc, etc...

Keep well away from water or salt spray, unless you have a weather-proof or water-proof covering. A good wipe and cleaning of lens element would be ideal, do not wipe the lens directly. Allow the cleaning solution to dissolve any possible salt and let it dislodge to the side, else you may risk a scratch.

diediealsomustdive has brought up the equipment which would be more ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.