D200 Mf

Status
Not open for further replies.

koshinki

Jan 19, 2007
picasaweb.google.com
Hi,
do u all use Manual Focus to shoot? i realized that when i use manual focus, i can't really confirm the object is 100% sharp. so end up when transfer to PC with normal monitor, it is out of focus. D200 viewfinder is not like the rangerfinder camera, u can see a big circle mark to confirm the thing u take is 100% sharp before u press the shutter release button.

So how do u all confirm the sharpness when use Manual Focus?

thanks

just me

Dec 26, 2006
Hi,
do u all use Manual Focus to shoot? i realized that when i use manual focus, i can't really confirm the object is 100% sharp. so end up when transfer to PC with normal monitor, it is out of focus. D200 viewfinder is not like the rangerfinder camera, u can see a big circle mark to confirm the thing u take is 100% sharp before u press the shutter release button.

thanks
In manual focus, when the object is in focus, a little yellow dot will appear at the bottom left of the D200 viewfinder... if that's what you are looking for...

koshinki

Jan 19, 2007
picasaweb.google.com
if the dotkeep going to blink? is it "already" in focus or "almost" in focus? i use auto focus, the green/yellow dot is steady. but when i use manual focus, no matter how i do it, still blink.... :dunno:

thanks.

just me

Dec 26, 2006
if the dotkeep going to blink? is it "already" in focus or "almost" in focus? i use auto focus, the green/yellow dot is steady. but when i use manual focus, no matter how i do it, still blink.... :dunno:

thanks.
The dot should not blink when in focus...a solid dot will appear... try aiming at something at a distance.

Itsbits

Feb 13, 2005
HooKit Hwatok
Not so sure about Nikon... I'm a canon user.. but one of the mistakes that I made when I started using manual lenses (non canon lenses) is not to calibrate the "diopter" to my eye.. not sure if I spelt that right.. cos I have been shooting auto all thetime. so when I hear the beep..it has to be in focused.. and I'll just bang it off and blame it on my handshake or peopole moving if the image is not sharp in the computer after.. haha. so anyway.. back to manual focusing the first time.. no matter how hard I try.. i still cannot get it right. but after I adjusted.. I can tell mostly if it is in focused or not. If I am using my canon lenses that has AF.. when shootingi the MF mode, the focusing light willl still light up when half pressing the trigger if it is in focused..

Hope it helps. Cheers,

John

Hi,

thanks

jnet6

Apr 21, 2004
not here often anymore
As this is a nikon forum, best to hear from nikon user.
Thanks Itsbits for the info about canon.

As most others have said/mention, when your picture is in focus, a green/yellow dot will appear solid. If blinking, means you are near by just need to fine tune abit more to get a solid dot.
*btw the dot is found at bottom left side in the viewfinder.

scenar

Aug 23, 2005
Hi,

thanks
if you are trying to focus on a subj there does not have obvious contrast lines / consists of fine pattern (i.e. poor AF targets) the "dot" may not become solid. As long as the obj looks more or less "sharp" you prob would have got it right. Don't worry too much abt the blinking dot! Hey, at least the d200 has a real nice viewfinder. MF on something like a d70 viewfinder is next to impossible!

koshinki

Jan 19, 2007
picasaweb.google.com
thanks for jnet and itsbits.

as jnet said, maybe i need fine tune my focus when i see blinking. but this is a bit hard for me. :bsmilie: everytime try to "fine tune", the dot still blinking. if the object is super big, then is ok. but when i focus to a small object, really not easy. :sweat:

itsbits,
u r canon user. thanks for the reply again.
u mention initially u use MF, u face the prob same as me. and after u adjusted, it will bcome better. so how u adjust? just re-focus again or u have others hints or tips to share?

koshinki

Jan 19, 2007
picasaweb.google.com
if you are trying to focus on a subj there does not have obvious contrast lines / consists of fine pattern (i.e. poor AF targets) the "dot" may not become solid. As long as the obj looks more or less "sharp" you prob would have got it right. Don't worry too much abt the blinking dot! Hey, at least the d200 has a real nice viewfinder. MF on something like a d70 viewfinder is next to impossible!
haha... correct. when i used my D70, i nvr nvr use choose the manual focus because as u said, near to impossible.
i tried to shoot when the green dot blinking, but come back the photo look a bit out. is not handshake, can obviously see it is cause by not focus properly.

hacknet

Mar 20, 2007
i like to shoot MF with my 50mm prime. the important thing is to try to focus on something with contrast. if you point at a blank wall, neither your eyes nor the AF sensor will be able to tell if it is in focus or not. normally, i would aim at the edge the recompose again. i get sharp shots most of the time this way.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
I MF occasionally with my D200 and shooting macro. And the yellow dot does help to confirm the focus. But do note that this is a lil hit and miss especially when there is not enough light to allow the sensor to register the focal target. It's also difficult when the subject is much smaller than the focal sensor spot.

jocs

Apr 4, 2005
Hi,

thanks
When it's in focus, you will see the green dot in your viewfinder. You can use that to judge if it's in focus.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
Hi,

thanks
Did you adjust the eyepiece correction so you can see better? I am able to manual focus on the D70s focusing screen with the aid of a DK21m magnifier, which is still smaller than the D200 screen.

koshinki

Jan 19, 2007
picasaweb.google.com
Did you adjust the eyepiece correction so you can see better? I am able to manual focus on the D70s focusing screen with the aid of a DK21m magnifier, which is still smaller than the D200 screen.

i already adjusted the eyepiece too the best which base on my eye. i think i not really can confirm the think in focus (i mean sharp like autofocus! not agak agak sharp). i don't think is the camera prob. sometimes i also see the yellow/green dot working when i aim for the big clear object. if small or dark, it is a bit difficult to confirm it bcoz the dot keep going blinking...

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
i already adjusted the eyepiece too the best which base on my eye. i think i not really can confirm the think in focus (i mean sharp like autofocus! not agak agak sharp). i don't think is the camera prob. sometimes i also see the yellow/green dot working when i aim for the big clear object. if small or dark, it is a bit difficult to confirm it bcoz the dot keep going blinking...
As mentioned, when there is low light or when the object is too small for the sensor to pick up, this will happen. You can either assist by using a torch or other light source to light up the object and MF till it is sharp or shoot a few and hope you'll get one good hit.

koshinki

Jan 19, 2007
picasaweb.google.com
As mentioned, when there is low light or when the object is too small for the sensor to pick up, this will happen. You can either assist by using a torch or other light source to light up the object and MF till it is sharp or shoot a few and hope you'll get one good hit.
haha... this is the answer..... shoot a few and hope you'll get one good hit.:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

itsybitsyspidy

Jul 5, 2004
put camera on tripod. switch of AF. focus until you hear beep or green dot is present. now adjust the diopter until what you see is sharp to you. from here you know you have adjust your diopter to your eye, and you can now shoot in MF.

2 cents.;)

koshinki

Jan 19, 2007
picasaweb.google.com
put camera on tripod. switch of AF. focus until you hear beep or green dot is present. now adjust the diopter until what you see is sharp to you. from here you know you have adjust your diopter to your eye, and you can now shoot in MF.

2 cents.;)[/QUOTE
thanks... good idea. go back home try again for this.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
Don't use the centre area of the screen to focus, it's quite hard to tell. Use somewhere off centre, and you'll notice it's easier to see if the object is crisp when it's in focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.