D200 Dr


Status
Not open for further replies.

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
I've seen some interests from people asking about D200 DR, got some time yesterday and took some shots, handheld.

I am not skilled and may have done it wrongly, but this is what I did, took 2 shots, one metered at sky and the other at foreground image. In PS, I followed a link found in Fuji Forum kindly posted by Wind30.

I set my camera to AP F8 and this is the final result.

http://static.flickr.com/26/99661589_5a6178c54a_o.jpg

Tried the in-built Image Overlay feature but found out not like what I intended as in PS, nevertheless Image Overlay is a good feature that I shall try think of something useful to take at later stage.

If got time today, I will try Bracketing with many exposure levels of the same image and see how PS HDR turns out.

Overall, I like what I got out from my D200, maybe I am easily pleased, :bsmilie:


























Just kidding, to lighten up the day. On tripod lah! :sweat:

../azul123
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
Can I ask how many stops difference are there between the two shots (metered sky, metered foreground)?

Can you recover the sky highlights from the metered foreground pic using adobe RAW compensation?

Glad you like the method I found in luminous landscape. I found that it is simple, quick and the result is quite nice, not flat.
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
wind30 said:
Can I ask how many stops difference are there between the two shots (metered sky, metered foreground)?

Can you recover the sky highlights from the metered foreground pic using adobe RAW compensation?

Glad you like the method I found in luminous landscape. I found that it is simple, quick and the result is quite nice, not flat.
Let me go check the original and revert later (it's on a different notebook):sweat: , today if got time I plan to do like you did +-0.3EV and see the results.

Thanks for the link, it was quite easy to follow for the second method. I actually met you before right? saw your wedding photos you posted, nice :thumbsup: .

../azul123
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
Just checked, since I did spot metering so the image was exposed for the spot I selected. I don't know how to check what ev difference between them. I see the shutter difference is 1/1500sec and 1/90sec.

Does this help?

I will try to mirror the test you did using bracketing with 0.3ev steps, if I can get out of office this afternoon.

../azul123
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
espn said:
I see white halos.
Did you mean the white border surrounding the image? how to get rid of them? the original over and under exposed image don't have but the Blended got this.

../azul123
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
azul123 said:
Did you mean the white border surrounding the image? how to get rid of them? the original over and under exposed image don't have but the Blended got this.

../azul123
I can't see the original image, and I don't have both images, don't know your workflow too. :dunno:
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
If you want to test DR, you should provide the NEF, not JPG.
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
azul123 said:
Upload the original jpg, could only upload the first 2 images max-out on my free account...

http://static.flickr.com/31/99908627_5658340c35_b.jpg

and

http://static.flickr.com/19/99908628_308b2662bc_b.jpg

I shot in RAW and convert it to jpg. Hope someone can do better justice to D200 DR, apologies in advance for my lack of PS skill. :sweat:

../azul123
Sorry the large file can be downloaded here.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=99908628&size=l

and

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=99908627&size=l

../azul123
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
Wah NEF, don't know where to send to, it is a very large file leh....

Right now in office testing CLS with my friends SB800 and my SB600, very happy... :thumbsup:

../azul123
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
azul123 said:
Wah NEF, don't know where to send to, it is a very large file leh....

Right now in office testing CLS with my friends SB800 and my SB600, very happy... :thumbsup:

../azul123
Pro liao :thumbsup:
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
espn said:
Pro liao :thumbsup:
No lah, must find out what the heck you guys all talk about, don't want to miss out... buy buy buy must come with try try try mah. :bsmilie:

Still doing MO for SB800?

../azul123
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
azul123 said:
Let me go check the original and revert later (it's on a different notebook):sweat: , today if got time I plan to do like you did +-0.3EV and see the results.

Thanks for the link, it was quite easy to follow for the second method. I actually met you before right? saw your wedding photos you posted, nice :thumbsup: .

../azul123
yup, I have met you b4.

I think I bought something from you, or you from me when I had my D70.

1/1500 and 1/90 has around 4 stops difference in exposure. Basically 90x2x2x2x2=1440. Thus I am really interested in how much highlights you can recover from the shot exposed for the foreground. That is the test of the DR of D200, how much range you have from ONE NEF file. Can you develop the RAW file exposed for the foreground at -2 stop, -3stops and -4stops in adobe camera Raw? (using the exposure slider on the right hand side)

With a wide dynamic range camera, you ONLY need one RAW file to do what you did. No need tripod and makes the blending result better as there is ZERO shake blurring as both pics are the same raw file. Example on my s3pro I can shoot only the foreground pic, and use ACR to develop two jpg, one 0eV and another at -4eV which will give me TWO jpegs, one exposed for the foreground and another for the background.

Else can you host the NEF for the shots exposed for the foreground somewhere? If you don't have anywhere to host, I can open an account for you on my server and you can ftp it there. If you are interested, pm me.
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,775
0
36
Eastern Bloc
wind30 said:
yup, I have met you b4.

I think I bought something from you, or you from me when I had my D70.

1/1500 and 1/90 has around 4 stops difference in exposure. Basically 90x2x2x2x2=1440. Thus I am really interested in how much highlights you can recover from the shot exposed for the foreground. That is the test of the DR of D200, how much range you have from ONE NEF file. Can you develop the RAW file exposed for the foreground at +2 eV, +3eV and +4eV in adobe camera Raw? See how good the highlights are in the sky.

With a wide dynamic range camera, you ONLY need one RAW file to do what you did. No need tripod. Example on my s3pro I can shoot only the foreground pic, and use ACR to develop two jpg, one 0eV and another at -4eV which will give me TWO jpegs, one exposed for the foreground and another for the background.

Else can you host the NEF for the shots exposed for the foreground somewhere? If you don't have anywhere to host, I can open an account for you on my server and you can ftp it there. If you are interested, pm me.
Better if you can let me FTP to your server and you can take a swipe at the RAW files, me not technical leh...

PM me how and where to send it to, do keep me posted on your findings, interested to know how D200 compares, but no matter what I'll be sticking with this as too much hassle to move from brand to brand.

../azul123


../azul123
 

Status
Not open for further replies.