D200 can IR or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanz170

Jan 23, 2005
Tampines
With all this hype about D200, does anyone here know if D200 takes good IR as D70/D70s?

TIA.

Bad news, seems like the D200 cannot do IR, I can't even get a white balance set with the IR filter on. I also cannot get a pic with the IR filter on. The camera can focus pretty fast with the filter on but can't do any other thing. Will try other means to see if I can it to take IR. Any suggestions ??. :dunno: :cry:

Dennis said:
Bad news, seems like the D200 cannot do IR, I can't even get a white balance set with the IR filter on. I also cannot get a pic with the IR filter on. The camera can focus pretty fast with the filter on but can't do any other thing. Will try other means to see if I can it to take IR. Any suggestions ??. :dunno: :cry:

Forget the white balance for now. Just try taking several (bracketed) shots, like from +1 to +10 in 1 stop steps and see if there's remotely anything visible. (Did u cover the eye piece??? )

Dennis said:
:eek: Dennis! Buy D200 liao? :eek:

Wah I think D200 really cannot take IR photo.
Here is a 15sec shot with sun and no balance set.!!!

Hi Ark, Yes got it while collecting my 18-200.
Your new IR for Kallang is nice. :thumbsup:

200_0232-vi.jpg

Dennis said:
Wah I think D200 really cannot take IR photo.
Here is a 15sec shot with sun and no balance set.!!!

Hi Ark, Yes got it while collecting my 18-200.
Your new IR for Kallang is nice. :thumbsup:

Wah 15s also so dark :eek: Taken with R72? Have you tried with P007?

Thanks Bro ;)

Not yet, but with R72 like that I don't think others will work properly. Still D70 is the best.

ark19 said:
Wah 15s also so dark :eek: Taken with R72? Have you tried with P007?

Thanks Bro ;)

Like that PandaOng happy liao :bsmilie:

Looking at your image, actually IR radiation is recorded, that's why your foliage is pinkish and whitish when converted to BW. Have you tried other ways of CWB?

Yes it has to be because the image was formed with the R72 but it is just not sensitive to IR. I will be trying to see if I can put the WB in via the PC from other photos from the D70.
BTW anybody know what is the colour temperature settings when we take IR. The D200 allow me to directly set the WB in kelvin colour temperature.

Max 2.8 said:
Looking at your image, actually IR radiation is recorded, that's why your foliage is pinkish and whitish when converted to BW. Have you tried other ways of CWB?

Dennis said:
Why ??. :dunno:
Cos his DSLR also need long exposure mah ;)

Dennis said:
Yes it has to be because the image was formed with the R72 but it is just not sensitive to IR. I will be trying to see if I can put the WB in via the PC from other photos from the D70.
BTW anybody know what is the colour temperature settings when we take IR. The D200 allow me to directly set the WB in kelvin colour temperature.

Try 2000 - 2500

I don't use my D200 for IR. I use the C5050. Magnitudes better, even though the C5050 sucks for IR. :D Get the drift?

What you get is just 10 million lousy pixels.

Its Xmas...no war please....

There's ways to make IR image from digicams, just have do some test....

Merry xmas everyone...

Max 2.8 said:
Its Xmas...no war please....

There's ways to make IR image from digicams, just have do some test....

Merry xmas everyone...
Haha...no ill intention meant lar. :D It really is a big losing war trying to do IR on dSLRs, really needs heart stopping operations done on it. dSLRs ain't cheap. And i guess it's commonly known that the more advanced (ie more MP) your cam is, the more IR cut they are going design it with as it messes up with the sensor.

You have a 12-24/4 lens, and you buy a 77mm R72 which costs a bomb, then bang balls. :D Just get any old 2-3 MP digicam from B&S, best. Can handhold somemore. After I tried IR on the D70 by modding my small R72 to fit (with black tape...:bsmilie: ) i gave up. Thought that the ISO1600 could help out things. Carrying a big tripod for the dSLR under bright sunlight is also.....

Dennis, btw i don't think that red image is formed by near-IR passed by the R72. R72 still lets through some red tinge of light, just look through it at a fluroescent light (very very little IR) with your naked eyes.

BTW, you can set the K directly on your D200, it's mentioned somewhere in the manual.

If there really is a need for bigger IR prints, I guess one just have to go b/w IR film. Really bo bian.

Have fun!

I have no problem with it at all. 77mm still very useful to me as I still have my trusty D70 that can do IR like no other, after all 95% of my lens uses 77mm filters. I even shoot handheld without having to change the ISO on the D70.
Don't know why you are having problem with it leh, should be Ok one.
In fact my P&S son't give me better IR shots than my D70.
I am just trying to see if it works with the D200 but it seems like it is worst than the Canon's. I already know that this is going to be a problem even before I get the D200 but I don't get the D200 solely to do IR so no problem here. BTW setting the colour temperature directly on the D200 is not the problem, problem is it does not work. :cry:

2100 said:
Haha...no ill intention meant lar. :D It really is a big losing war trying to do IR on dSLRs, really needs heart stopping operations done on it. dSLRs ain't cheap. And i guess it's commonly known that the more advanced (ie more MP) your cam is, the more IR cut they are going design it with as it messes up with the sensor.

You have a 12-24/4 lens, and you buy a 77mm R72 which costs a bomb, then bang balls. :D Just get any old 2-3 MP digicam from B&S, best. Can handhold somemore. After I tried IR on the D70 by modding my small R72 to fit (with black tape...:bsmilie: ) i gave up. Thought that the ISO1600 could help out things. Carrying a big tripod for the dSLR under bright sunlight is also.....

Dennis, btw i don't think that red image is formed by near-IR passed by the R72. R72 still lets through some red tinge of light, just look through it at a fluroescent light (very very little IR) with your naked eyes.

BTW, you can set the K directly on your D200, it's mentioned somewhere in the manual.

If there really is a need for bigger IR prints, I guess one just have to go b/w IR film. Really bo bian.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.