D200 battery woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerahead

Jan 3, 2006
Singapore
Hi! This is my first posting.

I was wondering if anyone who has a D200 has the problem that the battery runs low quite quickly, perhaps after a couple of hundred shots :( - nowhere near the 1800 it's reported to last for. At first I thought it may be my playing with the camera too much, but even with regular use, my old D70 seemed to have longer battery life.

I wonder if it's a firmware problem. If so, I hope Nikon comes up with a patch.

Seasons Greetings to all!

Terence
:D

Discharge the battery and charge it a few times to hit optimal usage/power. Avoid using the LCD.

It's a known fact that the big LCD screen on the D200 (amongst other factors) comes at the expense of lower battery life (especially so if you compare it with the D70 series).

Manufacturers arrived at the so-&-so # of shots based on their own controlled environment. Such as... no. of shots with & or w/out flash, LCD screen on or off, etc... just a guide.

You could try the suggestion from the previous post... am not to sure if it helps. In any case, it's always good to have another battery.

Actually, 200+ shots per battery not bad... that's effectively 5 rolls of film already. You shoot that much a day? :dunno:

Wah... Errz got D200? Never lend me play play :( so sad... :cry:

espn said:
Actually, 200+ shots per battery not bad... that's effectively 5 rolls of film already. You shoot that much a day? :dunno:

definitely not good enough, especially when compared to specs ;p an ixus 30 and coolpix 3700 lasts longer on their small compact batteries.

but like u said, batteries usually take a few charge/recharge cycles to reach their optimal performance.

mpenza said:
definitely not good enough, especially when compared to specs ;p an ixus 30 and coolpix 3700 lasts longer on their small compact batteries.

but like u said, batteries usually take a few charge/recharge cycles to reach their optimal performance.
Given the size of the LCD, 200 shots is not bad already.

Depends on your usage - that 1800 figure they quoted in the manual, read closely the conditions they used to obtain that figure. They also quoted another figure of 340 under a different set of conditions.

The D200 does use more battery than the D70, mainly 'cos of the screen, but also the size of the files - writing 15MB uncompressed NEFs will use up more battery than the 5MB compressed NEFs on the D70.

I shot about 300 photos today and have 25% battery left, so battery performance is fairly decent - I think we were spoilt with the really good battery life of the D70.

Have been taking photos in bursts, so 100+ shots in a day, then not much on other days..

Will take your kind suggestions and get spare batt and probably the grip too. I think the 70-200 VR does drain the batt a fair bit since I'm playing with the VR / AF quite a bit since getting the lens.

Looking for a standard zoom too, prob the 17-55/2.8DX or the 17-35/2.8. What do you guys think? Thanking you all in advance for you kind advice :)

flashgun said:
Bro 17-35 rocks!
Now all u need is to change your

85 f/1.8 -> 85 f/1.4
24-120VR -> 28-70 AF-S

wahhh how come from battery problem evolve to BBB lens.......

Errz said:
400+ shot for me per battery. jpeg/raw
not using any VR lens.

wonder why the battery grip aint in yet :cry:

your battery gone thru how many discharge/recharge cycles har? Also hor..... When you lending me your d200 to play har? :think:

idor said:
wahhh how come from battery problem evolve to BBB lens.......

your battery gone thru how many discharge/recharge cycles har? Also hor..... When you lending me your d200 to play har? :think:
When you book a hotel room Err will let you play :bsmilie:

flashgun said:
Buy MB-D200 + 3 spare batt. ;)

If you use MB-D200, 2 Li batt would give twice the number of shots, with the same shooting style. Now, what about using 6 NiMH AA with a huge 2500mAH capacity - likely to last very, very long, even with lots of LCD viewing. A total of 6x2500 = 15,000mAH. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Much cheaper than those Li batt, but heavy - good for those with strong arms. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.