D1X + 18-70mm kit lens: focus lock problems (with my set)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Hi,

I am using D1X with the 18-70mm kit lens. If I focus lock on the subject and then re-compose with the shutter release half pressed, one in a while the camera will re-focus, causing the taken picture to be focus on the background instead of the subject. Sometimes the focus just shifts and nothing in the picture is in focus.

This happens intermittently and I have not been able to figure out what differences there are in my handling of the camera between succesful and unsucessful focus locking attempts.

This is very annoying especially when photographing in dark situations with flash, as I could not tell if the camera has re-focused after I moved the subject out of the focus area.

Does anyone here has any similar experience or solution to this problem?

By the way I don't see this problem o the 80-200 f/2.8.

Thanks!

- Roy

Hi Roy, I may sound stupid asking you this (since you're probably more experienced anyway ;p ) did you ensure that the AF-L is switch on on half-depress?

Also did the AF-L successfully lock before you recompose? :sweat:

Madmax said:
Send to Nikon for checkup?

OT a little...espn replied at 6:47 am and roy posted at 6:49 am. espn got esp? How come?

eh... can u see where roygoh is based at?

nightwolf75 said:
eh... can u see where roygoh is based at?

Ha! I deleted my post before you replied. I saw the time wrongly. Pai seh.

this problem sounds odd because it happens only with specific lenses. I was suspecting a case of bad contact with the half press button. is there any way to relocate (via camera menu options)the half press AF button to another button and repeat the same test to see if the same still happens?

roygoh said:
Hi,

I am using D1X with the 18-70mm kit lens. If I focus lock on the subject and then re-compose with the shutter release half pressed, one in a while the camera will re-focus, causing the taken picture to be focus on the background instead of the subject. Sometimes the focus just shifts and nothing in the picture is in focus.

This happens intermittently and I have not been able to figure out what differences there are in my handling of the camera between succesful and unsucessful focus locking attempts.

This is very annoying especially when photographing in dark situations with flash, as I could not tell if the camera has re-focused after I moved the subject out of the focus area.

Thanks!

- Roy

Just a guess, did you actually see the AF shift/refocus? Did you adjust the zoom position when recomposing?

roygoh said:

This happens intermittently and I have not been able to figure out what differences there are in my handling of the camera between succesful and unsucessful focus locking attempts
interesting that you brought this up. can i ask, is this your first AF-S lense?

why i ask is because i thought that i had 2 similiar incidents with a D1x & 17-55 combo. but waived it off thinking that it could have been that i was too use to the non-SVM foucsing noise that i just assumed that i acheived AF-L, when it might not have... mind you, i did notice the bluring of the subject through the view finder and did not fire.

"what about the red box and the green dot?". well, army mentality - tired and cannot think, we react to what is drilled into us, "Frame - AF-L - Recompose - Shoot", so much so that we do not really take notice these little things.

sorry, have not really answered your question. but i will be a little more concious of this to see if it occurs again with me. but thus far, this has been 2 times out of almost 500 shots with this combo. more likely to be me than the cam and lense. :bsmilie:

roygoh said:
Hi,

Thanks!

- Roy

i have the same problem with my 50mm 1.8D, mmmmmm :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.