D-lite 4 to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
I need to know is the modelling light is yellowish in color??

It's tungsten, like most other modeling lamps.

i just got the set..and the light is like orangish color..btw how do i trigger the flash for the units...i try conect the sync cord from the light to my camera(ex 580 is on) so when i press the shutter release button it dont flash...

Yes, that's correct. Tungsten is very cool temp, so the light looks very yellow/orangy.

Take off the 580 and just plug ONE cord into your camera PC socket. Some cameras disable the PC socket from firing if it detects that a hotshoe flash it inserted.

Set the other head if you're using it on slave.

CHEERS!

so can this set use as continous lighting if i dont wish to use the flash?

Yes, you can, and since the newer versions of Dlite 4 is fan-cooled, it should not get too hot.

I have no idea what the long-term effect of keeping the flash charged long long and not firing it as normal would have on the capacitors. Also you might want to replace the expensive modeling lamps with regular tungsten bulbs that are much cheaper if you're going to use hot lights regularly.

If you're going to do it for long sessions or long-term, you might want to consider continuous lights instead. Even Ikea lamps at less than $100 for many many lamps and DIY modifiers should work well for your intended use.

Would using hot lights long long have a negative effect on the materials your dolls are made of?

Since you have the Dlites, why not learn how to use flash? :)

so can this set use as continous lighting if i dont wish to use the flash?

not really advisable since its not as powerful as a dedicated continous light system, its just for your to see how the light falls on your subject..

on how to sync your D-Lites, you can use your current 580EX as a trigger for it.. Press the "eye" symbol on the back of the strobe, this activates its optical slave cell.. Set your 580EX to manual and lowest power just to get the strobes to sync.. otherwise, just hard sync with the supplied PC sync cord into your cam should work..

Yes, you can, and since the newer versions of Dlite 4 is fan-cooled, it should not get too hot.

I have no idea what the long-term effect of keeping the flash charged long long and not firing it as normal would have on the capacitors. Also you might want to replace the expensive modeling lamps with regular tungsten bulbs that are much cheaper if you're going to use hot lights regularly.

If you're going to do it for long sessions or long-term, you might want to consider continuous lights instead. Even Ikea lamps at less than $100 for many many lamps and DIY modifiers should work well for your intended use.

Would using hot lights long long have a negative effect on the materials your dolls are made of?

Since you have the Dlites, why not learn how to use flash? :)

as you mention that this set can be use as continuous lighting ...so does it mean using modelling light?? and you also mention charged the flash what does it mean?? yes definitely i would use the flash...since i get this set...

not really advisable since its not as powerful as a dedicated continous light system, its just for your to see how the light falls on your subject..

on how to sync your D-Lites, you can use your current 580EX as a trigger for it.. Press the "eye" symbol on the back of the strobe, this activates its optical slave cell.. Set your 580EX to manual and lowest power just to get the strobes to sync.. otherwise, just hard sync with the supplied PC sync cord into your cam should work..

so if i use 580 to trigger then i wont need the cord right?? i am using 500d..and i cant find the camera pc cord...i will double check again

as you mention that this set can be use as continuous lighting ...so does it mean using modelling light?? and you also mention charged the flash what does it mean?? yes definitely i would use the flash...since i get this set...

Yes.

If I not mistaken, when you switch on the DL (Dlite), BOTH the flash as well as modeling light is activated.

Modeling light have it's own control switch, but not flash. You plug into socket and switch in the unit means the flash is auto on.

Only higher end Elinchroms have separate switches for both.

Have fun and all the best!

Last edited:
Yes.

When you switch on the DL (Dlite), BOTH the flash as well as modeling light is activated.

Only higher end Elinchroms have separate switches.

Have fun and all the best!

but how to on the flash continously?? as i know there is switch to on the modelling light but not the flash...

but how to on the flash continously?? as i know there is switch to on the modelling light but not the flash...

The minute you switch on the unit, flash and modeling light is on.

You can cycle the modeling lamp switch until it is off.

You cannot do anything to switch off the flash but still have the modeling light on.

BTW, it might be a good idea to also stand-by spare fuse and learn how to change it in case it blows. Fuse is only a few cents and very easy to change. It is easier than changing batteries on your 580. :)

I agree.

Also, for reasons stated earlier.

flashes are fired through capacitors, not a normal circuit like regular light bulbs...

if you wanted to output the amount of light that the d-lite 4's produce when they flash for a sustained amount of time you can say hello to one hell of an electricity bill...

thought i'm not actually sure if thats possible because the capacitors need to 'refill' with electricity before you can fire again... thats what refresh time is if i'm not wrong :think:

i know flash is on...but not like modelling is continous ... when i press the test pad then it give a flash....cause i always wondering how ppl can get those color light like white color not orangish...

i know flash is on...but not like modelling is continous ... when i press the test pad then it give a flash....cause i always wondering how ppl can get those color light like white color not orangish...

it is white haha
have you tried taking a photo into your flashes when they fire... i can assure you they are pretty white haha

and even if they are yellow just change the colour temp. post processing?

I'm assuming you are completely new to studio flash units. :)

There are TWO bulbs in each DL unit.

One is frosted and fat and shaped like mushroom or frosted fat fat round round - is the tungsten bulb, and one is the flash tube look like a skinny circle tube with funny silver grey wriggly thing inside.

Tungsten give you yellow/orange light.

Flash tube fire give you white light.

When you on stand-by and modeling lamp is on, you see tungsten light.

When you press shutter button, flash tube fires and you get white light.

VOILA! :cool:

p.s. Perhaps you might want to learn about light and light equipment. Many good books at the library. After all, it IS the ESSENCE of photography! :)

Last edited:
so if i use 580 to trigger then i wont need the cord right?? i am using 500d..and i cant find the camera pc cord...i will double check again

the 500D doesn't have a PC sync cord socket, plus the PC sync socket on the 580EXII is just for triggering the 580EXII itself, so it can receive signals but can't send..

I'm assuming you are completely new to studio flash units. :)

There are TWO bulbs in each DL unit.

One is frosted and fat and shaped like mushroom or frosted fat fat round round - is the tungsten bulb, and one is the flash tube look like a skinny circle tube with funny silver grey wriggly thing inside.

Tungsten give you yellow/orange light.

Flash tube fire give you white light.

When you on stand-by and modeling lamp is on, you see tungsten light.

When you press shutter button, flash tube fires and you get white light.

VOILA! :cool:

p.s. Perhaps you might want to learn about light and light equipment. Many good books at the library. After all, it IS the ESSENCE of photography! :)

ya..i am pretty new...and i know there are two type of lights...but just funny..i saw video and they on those like white color not orangish...that why i am having doubts...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.