D.I.Y Plamp (version 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

headfonz

Apr 6, 2006
sharing a little d.i.y project to make myself a cheap alternative to the wimberly plamp for macro photography work. the motivation for this project is purely to save $ as the wimberly plamp sells for $70 (or $125 for a pair), which i find very expensive for a relatively simple device.

i am not the 1st person to make a d.i.y plamp but i thought some of CSer may be looking for an alternative like i was so i'm posting this. i won't go through this step by step since its a very simple process.

After looking around d.i.y, hardware shops, art friend, etc. the basic components of this plamp are:

1) foam twist tube - $2 per pc, Daiso
2) mini heavy duty spring clamp - $2 for pack of 4, Daiso
3) wolfcraft heavy duty spring clamp - $6.90 for pack of 4, Homefix

the Daiso spring clamp (in orange) is smaller and its jaws will open up to 20mm wide. the larger clamp (in black) opens up to 30mm wide. everything is held together by cable ties.

i also fitted triangular pieces of soft scotch-brite sponge pad ($2 for 2 pcs, i used 1 corner, so about $0.25 per corner) on each side of the black clamp for grabbing delicate objects like plant stems, etc.

total cost of the D.I.Y Plamp, $2 + $0.5 + $1.73 + $0.25 = $4.48

pics of the plamp follows

1) D.I.Y Plamp V1

2842377839_8a88e8336d.jpg

2) Spring Clamps
2842378933_fd3f5cdc96.jpg

3) Larger clamp grabbing cable tie loop with sponge. (note that the sponge does not compress the loop)
2843215298_6a6e217669.jpg

more pictures of the D.I.Y Plamp

4) Attached to tripod leg
2842378775_e786ebbb8c.jpg

5) Holding up bounce card
2842378399_de01549934.jpg

6) With camera setup
2842379297_b04e45874c.jpg

7) Closer
2842379415_5ec004b16a.jpg

8) Front view
2842380013_d1ec802d33.jpg

Last edited:
the Version 1 isn't very firm, it does the job but it takes some experimenting to find the right twists and bends to maintain a stretched ou position without drooping from its own weight. have yet to test it out in the field, which i hope to try out this weekend.

if anyone has any ideas to share on how this can be improved, do share, i have materials for a 2nd Plamp V1.

i also intend to attempt a D.I.Y Plamp Version 2 soon, this product, the Loc Line modular pipe http://www.locline.com/products/index.html will be the main component for the Plamp V2. online order from Amazon at US$14.8 for a kit, my order should arrive next week so i will update this thread again when that is complete.

hope someone else tries to d.i.y the plamp and share your project :thumbsup:

i have been looking for this kind of foam twist tube, but cant find it. which daiso did you go to?

i have been looking for this kind of foam twist tube, but cant find it. which daiso did you go to?

Daiso at IMM, Jurong East. its on a bottom shelf at the DIY section where you can find screws and pvc pipes. i believe ladies use a similar tube to tie their hair, but those would likely cost more than the Daiso tube.

nice work there Headfonz! :thumbsup:

can i suggest filing the clamp/pegs with grooves where the cable tie is (to prevent slipping off position)?

:thumbsup: job bro!! in no time, other commercial plamps will have no business liao :bsmilie: jj

anyway ur v2 shld look more impressive...keep us all posted :)

can i suggest filing the clamp/pegs with grooves where the cable tie is (to prevent slipping off position)?

good idea, i'll do this for the 2nd plamp v1. right now i just tied a cable tie to hold the 2 cable ties in a loop to hold them together. the 2nd plamp v1 will be attached to a stick (most likely a telescopic rod like radio antennas) on 1 end.

:thumbsup: job bro!! in no time, other commercial plamps will have no business liao :bsmilie: jj

anyway ur v2 shld look more impressive...keep us all posted :)

i like the Plamp and the McClamp, but they are just too expensive for a tube and 2 spring clamps. hope someone makes a better diy plamp than me!

that's a good idea. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.