D.I. artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloved

Feb 15, 2007
How do they charge(per photo?) and what are the requirements? (range of skills?)

Am looking at doin it freelance to earn extra...but am not sure if i'm up to it.

Any help? :dunno:

How do they charge(per photo?) and what are the requirements? (range of skills?)

Am looking at doin it freelance to earn extra...but am not sure if i'm up to it.

Hi,

The local market rate for DI ranges anything from S$300 for simple touch-ups (eg skin toning, etc) to S$8000 or more for serious composites for advertising work. The work is very labor intensive and requires a very detailed mind. 2 of the companies that are doing DI work:

1. Wishing Well
2. Procolor

A good starting point to compare your work is to go through some digital retouching websites (eg http://www.iwanexstudio.com/) and fashion magazines that feature good re-touching work. Try to look at Rolling Stones, Vogue, etc (Overseas editions). If you work is good enough, I am sure that very soon your rates will be acceptable to professional photographers. All the best.

Best regards
Wesley

wow thanks. ;)

wow thanks. ;)

not sure if you are up to it ? are u a experience DI in the first place ? :dunno:

Hi,

The local market rate for DI ranges anything from S$300 for simple touch-ups (eg skin toning, etc) to S$8000 or more for serious composites for advertising work. The work is very labor intensive and requires a very detailed mind. 2 of the companies that are doing DI work:

1. Wishing Well
2. Procolor

A good starting point to compare your work is to go through some digital retouching websites (eg http://www.iwanexstudio.com/) and fashion magazines that feature good re-touching work. Try to look at Rolling Stones, Vogue, etc (Overseas editions). If you work is good enough, I am sure that very soon your rates will be acceptable to professional photographers. All the best.

Best regards
Wesley

$300+++ - is this for per photo? Or?

WishingWell is specialized in high-budget advertising photo-retouching jobs, the cost is easily up to 10k per project (may include only 1 photo)

WishingWell is specialized in high-budget advertising photo-retouching jobs, the cost is easily up to 10k per project (may include only 1 photo)

Hello Narloke,

This is off topic but I really enjoy your DI work on your deviantart gallery. The images show a good understanding of photography as an art form. Perhaps a solo exhibition in the future? =)

Best regards
Wesley

not sure if you are up to it ? are u a experience DI in the first place ? :dunno:

Well i'm graphic design trained...and i'm currently working with a studio..and the pictures do get accepted and sold. But stil stucked in a small world (i feel)...i don't know if my work is up to the big world's standard. :dunno: i think i'm being abstract. haha...:sweat: i don't know how else to put it tho...

graphic design is quite different from DI... are you working in a graphic design studio or photo/DI studio?... although even people with no qualification can also make it if they are good enough

just build up a good portfolio and bang on doors... and be thick skinned but open to constructive criticism... where better to find constructive critique than here... :)

what are the requirements? (range of skills?)

- Basic clean up, remove distracting elements from shot eg,dirt, dustbin, power socket,etc etc..

- changing, tweaking colors, creating 'mood'..whatever.

- Excellent pathing and extraction skill including messy hair from any background for compositing. eg, combining hand from a shot, head from another..

- Placing elements from studio shot or stock photos into another photo seamlessly, with shadows,etc.

- extending background, eg from a portrait to a landscape shot,etc.

- Di is also about speed, if u do it in 6 hrs while someone else can do it in 2, then u have patience, and space for improvement. Retouching is never complete so knowing when to stop is also important.

- Whatever they desire..everything is possible, catch is it just takes time... But also knowing when to say "SIAO AR! reshoot easier & cheaper lah.."

- Its about using a software so much and yet every so often still discovering new ways of solving a problem.

Thats all I can tink up for now..heh:)

Do you want some nonesense photo to fix up?
I'm sure tons of people on here have something to send you.
Free work for them, a good evaluation of your skills from us (if you post before and after photos).

Best,
Adm

Check http://www.amydresser.com/ (though not the best one, but fulfil most of the commercial requirement)

If you can be as 50% good as how she is, i think no problem for you to find freelance jobs definitely or grab a inhouse post. If you can be as 75% good as how she is, you are qualified to be hired by a well-known local imaging production house. If you are really as good as her, congrats, you can be among one of the best local DI artists. The best DI artist must be able to manipulate the 3D lighting feeling in the 2D imaging, sometimes even need to create a totally new, photorealistic one within a very limited time.

Do you want some nonesense photo to fix up?
I'm sure tons of people on here have something to send you.
Free work for them, a good evaluation of your skills from us (if you post before and after photos).

Best,
Adm

sounds like a great idea! I guess thats the only way for me to find out how good OR bad i am!! :p

So anyone kind enuff to let me work on their photographs??? :embrass:

Hi,

Anyone knows the rates for simple retouching (portrait/ skin type, not compositing level) at a freelance level. Per photo.

Hi,

Anyone knows the rates for simple retouching (portrait/ skin type, not compositing level) at a freelance level. Per photo.
depends on the person doing the retouching... like photography, for taking the same kind of shots you have people who are less expensive and people who are more expensive... :)

anybody who want referral to work in a DI studio can PM me.

Hey I totally didn't see your post until just now...

Sure, I might have some photos for you to touch up. But lately I'm only doing client work, and I haven't had time to go and do a personal shoot.

When I do a personal shoot, I'll send you one or two files to play with, there won't be much to fix up in terms of lighting and mood, I cover that in studio (with lights the old fashion way).. but I'm sure a nip of fat here and a tuck of fat there... etc..

If I remember I'll contact you in a few weeks when I've done a personal shoot.

Adam

how does a D.I artist evaluate himself?

I have no idea either, i been D.I-ing my own images and i dont think there is a standard for comparsion as everyone has a different way of tweaking images.

It is true tat every1 have a different way of D-I ing, but wat they are referring here is commerical D.I artist. Who is able to achieve whichever effect that the client wants. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.