D.I. artist

Status
Not open for further replies.
well since you do work with them regularly isn't it possible to demand higher standards after awhile.heh.
you are the client afterall
its the afore mentioned curmudgeon factor... I once went down on behalf of a major art book publisher (ie. big client for the printer) to a major glossy book and magazine printing company, and it was the same... print machines not profiled, scattershot colour management, and hope for the best (the reason I had to make my way down to the middle of nowhere location to jaga the colour in the first place)...

well since you do work with them regularly isn't it possible to demand higher standards after awhile.heh.
you are the client afterall

after the latest incident, the editorial supposedly raise a ruckus but seems like the issue disappeared into a blackhole. :dunno:

Actually can't blame the photog ,designer or printer about the final color issue.
Most not working under 1 roof,how many photog and designer will calibrate thier monitor(CRT/LCD) with same color profile and setting did the printer set ??
If i'm the photog , designer plus printer, i also can't give you a 100% accurate or same due to changing mode of rgb to cmyk .Your guy can just try out in photoshop.;)

Actually can't blame the photog ,designer or printer about the final color issue.
Most not working under 1 roof,how many photog and designer will calibrate thier monitor(CRT/LCD) with same color profile and setting did the printer set ??
If i'm the photog , designer plus printer, i also can't give you a 100% accurate or same due to changing mode of rgb to cmyk .Your guy can just try out in photoshop.;)

I guess we should just forget about the issue then and no one is to blame??
how about this:designer takes responsibility to ensure the printer delivers proofs to match prints, and demands that printers calibrate their machines to as close as possible.
I can tell you that there are people willing to pay a premium for assurance of such quality

how about this:designer takes responsibility to ensure the printer delivers proofs to match prints, and demands that printers calibrate their machines to as close as possible.
I can tell you that there are people willing to pay a premium for assurance of such quality

Sounds like good advice :)

but that's the whole point of profiling of the monitors and printers... so that the whole production process is more streamlined even if its a collaborative effort across a few companies... sure, in the profiling of printers, especially offset printers, a lot of time, money and effort is required, but, at least according to an interview by Michael Reichmann with Bill Atkinson (no.15 of MR's video journal), with less time, money and effort wasted on getting the colour right, the printers can potentially produce more prints and with a potentially wider colour gamut... so to bring this back on topic, I believe a DI artist should be aware of the implications of colour reproduction...:)

yes maybe I have been too harsh on the DI artist...
my agent is preparing a promo right now (cmyk) and she gets 2-3 proofs to get the colour perfect, over in singapore the printer just tells me "it's about 90% accurate" and then proceeds to provide me magenta skinned people in my pictures.

Mattlock, welcome to the wonderful world of offset printers. If you want quality there are 2 ways you do so; 1) use high end offset printers and pay like a duke people like colorscan will handle printing color accurate 2) do a press check or color proof check but you need to using a printer with a 4 color in line machine - for small runs (anything below 5 to 10K a4 is a small run - the cost difference is there is no free lunch).

Actually thinking about it if quality is the issue go to Colorscan - they understand color sep, they understand printing - just make it clear to them that colors are crtical. Some things you cannot trust to other people - printing of color crtical material is one of them. Yah inkjet prints, dye sub print proofs are Not Applicable since your color set and offset is different so expecting to use that as a print target for offset is tragically sad.

I think you mean Colourscan... they use the British spelling in their name ;p

Simple...what you pay is what u get :think:
1.Pay the disigner more for going down to the color house and make sure the final print is what you want.:bsmilie:
2. consider the colourhouse designer :)
3. maybe can set up your own team for long run.
Last Printer machines should be accurate on thier own monitor or LCD ,maybe can pay them to calibrate your lap disply or the designer MAC disply if they keen.:sweat:

Simple...what you pay is what u get :think:
1.Pay the disigner more for going down to the color house and make sure the final print is what you want.:bsmilie:
2. consider the colourhouse designer :)
3. maybe can set up your own team for long run.
Last Printer machines should be accurate on thier own monitor or LCD ,maybe can pay them to calibrate your lap disply or the designer MAC disply if they keen.:sweat:

yah I know you get what you pay for...I just wonder why considering how many printers there are in Singapore, more don't spend abit of time and money brushing up on their colour accuracy (small price to pay for a big competitive advantage)

I just wonder why considering how many printers there are in Singapore, more don't spend abit of time and money brushing up on their colour accuracy (small price to pay for a big competitive advantage)
lazy, curmudgeonly attitude... they have always done it like that so they will continue to do it like that, and their clients aren't voting with their feet...

I have handled plenty of jobs which the client simply does not pay enough to warrant being so anal about colour accuracy.

Both from a designer's point of view (the amount of additional leg work required) as well as a printers point of view (the amount of additional work needed to maintain accuracy).

Then there are times the client doesn't even want me to send it to print for them, after which they source for the cheapest printer they can find and colours go off wack as usual.

If you ask me it all boils down to the industry as a whole, everyone wants cheap & good. But how cheap can it get before certain quality control issues start to give way?

I have handled plenty of jobs which the client simply does not pay enough to warrant being so anal about colour accuracy.

Both from a designer's point of view (the amount of additional leg work required) as well as a printers point of view (the amount of additional work needed to maintain accuracy).

Then there are times the client doesn't even want me to send it to print for them, after which they source for the cheapest printer they can find and colours go off wack as usual.

If you ask me it all boils down to the industry as a whole, everyone wants cheap & good. But how cheap can it get before certain quality control issues start to give way?

agreed...actually here's my point of view on it because I can be guilty of that as well.
Only after having gotten bad colour from one printer and after having seen the way another printer actually provided such good quality control to my friend,it convinced me that it's worthwhile to pay that extra amount for the quality.

I think that many clients don't understand the difficulties of different subcontracted work, so of course our first instinct is to go cheap instead of spending more money on something when we don't know where the money is going.

Basically if you've had high quality noodles you can't go back to eating cup noodles.
So how to convince the client that it's worth the money to spend on quality?maybe a convincing case needs to be put forward as to why something costs so much. Client education

hey people!

anyone has any photos to send me for DI? i want to try out too! but i don't know what's the standard and all. i'll post up my finished work for critic? and see where i stand? :embrass:

you can send it over to me @ lenweiwen@gmail.com. you can also state any requirements you want for the photo. i'll try to fulfill them. =X

thanks guys!! :cool:

So how to convince the client that it's worth the money to spend on quality?maybe a convincing case needs to be put forward as to why something costs so much. Client education

Perhaps some real life examples?

Like show them the same prints by two printers and say, "hey look, here's what you are going to get if you pay $X with sloppy colour managed printers. However, pay $X+Y and you get this accurately printed images."

Perhaps some real life examples?

Like show them the same prints by two printers and say, "hey look, here's what you are going to get if you pay $X with sloppy colour managed printers. However, pay $X+Y and you get this accurately printed images."

yup exactly
all I can say is that I'm willing to pay more for better colour managed printers now.

yup exactly
all I can say is that I'm willing to pay more for better colour managed printers now.

so which shop has a better colour managed printer?

are there any courses available for D.I. or any mentors willing to guide me into the world of D.I.? :)

Thought of being a D.I. Artist but have no idea about how it works.

yah I know you get what you pay for...I just wonder why considering how many printers there are in Singapore, more don't spend abit of time and money brushing up on their colour accuracy (small price to pay for a big competitive advantage)

this is sg...laziness and incompetency is the name of the game. that and they act like the client owes them a living grrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.