D for Dilemma! D700 or 5Dm2?

R8283

May 18, 2009
I have studied most reviews and information regarding the D700 and 5Dm2. Intending to purchase either a D700+ AFS 24-70 or a 5Dm2+ EF 24-105L. However, still unable to decide.

Appreciate comments and good advice from fellow pros. Cheers!

I have studied most reviews and information regarding the D700 and 5Dm2. Intending to purchase either a D700+ AFS 24-70 or a 5Dm2+ EF 24-105L. However, still unable to decide.

Appreciate comments and good advice from fellow pros. Cheers!

Since you've already studied on most of the reviews and info then whats left is to go down to a shop, molest both machines, whichever feels gd. buy. :thumbsup:

U will be creating incredible pics with either system, with some functional differences that u already read from reviews. Are u already an existing Canon / Nikon user ?

Ryan

Since you've already studied on most of the reviews and info then whats left is to go down to a shop, molest both machines, whichever feels gd. buy. :thumbsup:

thats the way :thumbsup:

if you do more portraits, get the canon. landscape wise i prefer to use the nikon.

or u might wanna look at more pics reference online and see which tones u prefer.
curves from a canon and nikon is different cause of the ccd and how they process those colours. i was at an apple concept store not in singapore scrolling through few hundred pics from iphoto, i can almost tell almost all canon pics from nikon,sony,etc.

some guys will tell you that you can simulate the same curves, but is it worth the extra effort.

I am a nikon user fyi.

just toss a coin!

just kidding, i personally think that long-term wise, not much of a difference. today 5D beats D700 with more megapixels, tomorrow Nikon gonna come up with something that beats Canon, next week Olympus comes up with something else.. the list goes on... So just go with your heart, buy and keep shooting!

Thanks for all the lovely replies.

I am currently using an Alpha 100 with the 2 kit lens for about a year. Long time ago have been in film using Yashica and later Nikon F601 (still keeping it). I mainly use it for travel and family. Hobbyist only... not so serious yet.

Actually, I prefer the D700 but the 5Dm2 have the added advantage of movie function. Will there be a newer D700 with movie function? Thank you.

When in doubt, get both. When credit crunches, sell at B&S. LOL!!

Thanks. That's a good one. But no lah, can only have 1.

Why not get an A900 + CZ 24-70? At least you get unbeatable resolution and anti-shake.

Why not get an A900 + CZ 24-70? At least you get unbeatable resolution and anti-shake.

Good point. Why not consider staying with Sony?

Woh.... Have another one to compare. May think about it. Thanks.

Since you are a new member and I am unsure of your experience in photography, I would advice you to get a D90 or 50D for a start :)

Since you are a new member and I am unsure of your experience in photography, I would advice you to get a D90 or 50D for a start :)

Thanks. I did considered D90 and 50D. But was thinking of going a step higher so that i will not regret too fast.

if I have 4500, no doubt i will go for a900

canon offer better variety of lenses.....for both EF & EF-S ....

canon offer better variety of lenses.....for both EF & EF-S ....

They may have more lenses, but realistically, the common lenses are on all platforms. Also, TS was looking at 24-70, and the sony CZ one is hard to beat. The Nikon comes quite close though. :)

Thanks. I did considered D90 and 50D. But was thinking of going a step higher so that i will not regret too fast.

You may suffer more "losses" if you do not utilize the potential of these 2 monster machines.

can't go wrong with any of the above

you do not choose the camera
the camera will choose you
go to the shops and molest both, one of them will say take me home

BTW I am a nikon user, i would believe the D700 replacement will also have video
don't you just love competition? :)

btw, brand wars will not be tolerated and will result in an infraction and the thread to be closed
so let's keep the discussion healthy

Last edited: