D-Day 70th Anniversary Special: Warbird Trainers and artillery spotters

r32

Dec 31, 2002
Singapore
I had the unique opportunity to attend the World War II Weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum (based in Reading, Pennsylvania). Being close to the 70th anniversary of D-Day, it was a significant weekend of remembrance. These shots were made with a Canon 5D, and a Canon 6D. Lenses used were 17-40mm, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, and 100-400mm. Due to my obsession with ensuring propeller blur, I shot mostly in Tv mode with a shutter speed ranging from 1/200th to 1/125th second. In some of the flying shots, it is quite difficult to get a sharp shot with that low shutter speed at longer telephoto ranges. Nevertheless, here are some pictures. Look out for my other pictures of fighter planes and bombers as well:

IMG_4087.jpg

Lineup of Aeronca Super Champs

IMG_4869.jpg

In colours of the North Africa Campaign

IMG_4875.jpg

This is not a sight that Axis troops wanted to see - for artillery bombardment would soon follow

IMG_4187.jpg

The T-6/SNJ-4 Texan was an ubiquitous advanced trainer for pilots going to war

IMG_4193.jpg

It could, and was armed, and provided gunnery and bombing training

IMG_4380.jpg

Relatively easy handling characteristics and cheaper operating costs made it popular and ensured that a good number survived the post-war scrapping drive

IMG_4397.jpg

Highly modified examples are also used for the Reno Air Races, but the ones on this weekend are all beautifully restored

IMG_4385.jpg

The weekend pilots show they have the skills to stack it in close

IMG_4402.jpg

Four of the five T-6 made repeated passes down the showline, changing their formation each time.

IMG_4432.jpg

The fifth plane executed a solo aerobatic display that belied the age of the airframe (it has long reached its CPF withdrawal age!)

IMG_4616.jpg

For a few hundred dollars, you can buy yourself a backseat ride in one of these planes for a once in a lifetime experience

Fantastic shots!!!! Thanks for sharing.