Cyclists vs Pedestrians


Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#1
Originally posted by sehsuan
nice pic... but that's discrimination against cyclists, StreetShooter. :(

and i'm one of them... (albeit one of the safer ones) :cry:
Actually I was being sardonic, and the photo was just to illustrate the talk of the day.

I'm a cyclist myself, and always give way on pavements. I find it disturbing that cyclists are being bashed in the newspapers (but being a doctor AND a street photographer, I'm quite used to being bashed anyway).
 

jon33

New Member
Aug 18, 2002
495
0
0
37
go north!
www.imagestation.com
#2
like that a bit worse right? then next time clubsnap won't just appear under computer times..will also appear under home news:member charged in court for violent conduct

;p
 

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
6,598
0
0
38
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
#3
Originally posted by StreetShooter


Actually I was being sardonic, and the photo was just to illustrate the talk of the day.

I'm a cyclist myself, and always give way on pavements. I find it disturbing that cyclists are being bashed in the newspapers (but being a doctor AND a street photographer, I'm quite used to being bashed anyway).
apologies, ok, at least now i know ;)

hmm, which leads me to ask a question: what's your bike? any full sized pic of it? :D
 

S

Sin

Guest
#4
Originally posted by StreetShooter
I'm a cyclist myself, and always give way on pavements. I find it disturbing that cyclists are being bashed in the newspapers.
No offense. But cyclist don't even belong on the pavements in the first place. :dunno:

Cycles are vehicles, especially those powerful "racing" bikes or "mountain" bikes (words in quote marks because don't know the exact term to describe those "zai zai" machines ;p ). They belong on the roads since they can get up to very high speed (no knowledge of what's the average speed... :dunno: ) But of course, many motorists have another point of view regarding cyclists. (So are cycles really "not here not there" in Singapore?)

I think the bashing in the paper are on inconsiderate cyclists. The point of contention is not really cyclists, but the inconsiderate and dangerous people, regardless of what vehicle they using...
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#5
Originally posted by Sin


No offense. But cyclist don't even belong on the pavements in the first place. :dunno:

Cycles are vehicles, especially those powerful "racing" bikes or "mountain" bikes (words in quote marks because don't know the exact term to describe those "zai zai" machines ;p ). They belong on the roads since they can get up to very high speed (no knowledge of what's the average speed... :dunno: ) But of course, many motorists have another point of view regarding cyclists. (So are cycles really "not here not there" in Singapore?)

I think the bashing in the paper are on inconsiderate cyclists. The point of contention is not really cyclists, but the inconsiderate and dangerous people, regardless of what vehicle they using...
No offence taken, Sin. I've always respected your ability to think things through logically and argue your case. You're right, of course. Cyclists don't belong on the pavements in the first place.

The problem is that most other road users (SBS bus drivers being the worst offenders) don't believe that cyclists belong on the road either. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times I was almost run down by a bus / lorry / car. And yes, I still have all 10 of my fingers, by some strange miracle and a hard-working guardian angel.

So we cyclists are stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. Between arguing with a bus and arguing with a pedestrian, you can guess which one I'd rather choose.

The bashing in the newspapers seems to be tarring all cyclists with the same brush. Read the letters again.

We're probably going OT here, and someone will split this thread to Kopitiam soon enough... ;)
 

S

Sin

Guest
#6
Originally posted by StreetShooter
The problem is that most other road users (SBS bus drivers being the worst offenders) don't believe that cyclists belong on the road either. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times I was almost run down by a bus / lorry / car.
Which is why I mentioned that cyclists are "neither here not there" in Singapore. :)

Originally posted by StreetShooter
The bashing in the newspapers seems to be tarring all cyclists with the same brush. Read the letters again.
The letters are definitely making things bad for all cyclists. As with all sorts of bashing, people don't really make a distinction between the prima facie problem and the actual root of the problem. It's convenient to lash out at the obvious target and not spend the time to examine the real crux of the issue.

So when is someone gonna move this thread to Banal..ooops, Kopitiam? "Kopi-O Kosong kau! kaya loti neng teh! Gway Neng chi liap!"

:D
 

MeNaCeWu

New Member
Aug 3, 2002
353
0
0
34
Clementi
Visit site
#7
Nothing can be done abt this? like erm? Lane for cyclist? :D i personally enjoying cycling to places regardless of time taken... But am always disturbed by the double deckers that dashed pass me.
 

Wai

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
5,270
0
36
39
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
#8
Originally posted by MeNaCeWu
Nothing can be done abt this? like erm? Lane for cyclist? :D i personally enjoying cycling to places regardless of time taken... But am always disturbed by the double deckers that dashed pass me.
if i am not wrong..at least taiwan and china got special lane for cyclist...but base on the % of cyclist and limited space in singapore...i think the govt will rather encourage u to take public transport than to ride bike

most void deck for HDB flats got plenty of place for cyclist to park their bike...

but now i moved to punggol...i dun see such parking space anymore...instead i see a LRT station right in front of my window....
 

MeNaCeWu

New Member
Aug 3, 2002
353
0
0
34
Clementi
Visit site
#10
Originally posted by Wai


if i am not wrong..at least taiwan and china got special lane for cyclist...but base on the % of cyclist and limited space in singapore...i think the govt will rather encourage u to take public transport than to ride bike

most void deck for HDB flats got plenty of place for cyclist to park their bike...

but now i moved to punggol...i dun see such parking space anymore...instead i see a LRT station right in front of my window....
Well the least the Gov could do is... let those drivers (car owners... cab drivers... BUS DRIVERS) know that they have to be a lil bit more nicer to cyclists...
 

SMM

New Member
Nov 21, 2002
159
0
0
44
Central
#11
Originally posted by Wai


if i am not wrong..at least taiwan and china got special lane for cyclist...but base on the % of cyclist and limited space in singapore...i think the govt will rather encourage u to take public transport than to ride bike

most void deck for HDB flats got plenty of place for cyclist to park their bike...

but now i moved to punggol...i dun see such parking space anymore...instead i see a LRT station right in front of my window....
Australia has designated cyclist lane on their road too. :)
 

binbeto

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,312
0
0
43
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
#12
I have cycle to work last time. 45mins to works. Travel along old tampines road.

Maybe I was lucky. Dun have any near misses. I think to avoid near misses, cyclist needs to be road-savy. When you can sense that big buses or lorry is near you, it will be better to stop/slow down and let them overtake you. Need to be alert always.

Have face some nototious cyclist that zoom pass me. They even ring their bell as if they have the right of way in a perdestrian path.

Was near knock down by a cyclist while waiting at a bus-stop. He dun even bother to slow down while cycling pass a crowded bus-stop.
 

Dec 31, 2002
213
0
0
Russia
Visit site
#13
Any suggestions on what a desired conduct of a cyclist is ? :angel: This is what I almost always do :D

1. Always give way to pedestrians
2. Cycle on drain covers when approaching a pedestrain from behind
3. Slow down when overtaking a pedestrain, especially during or after a rain
4. Cycle on the grass patch (if possible) if there's a huge bunch of pedestrains walking close together


Not all cyclists are bad... then again, not all pedestrains are good either. I've encountered a few pedestrains who purposely don't want to give way when approaching them from the front :thumbsd:
 

S

Sin

Guest
#14
Originally posted by ChinShiong
Not all cyclists are bad... then again, not all pedestrains are good either. I've encountered a few pedestrains who purposely don't want to give way when approaching them from the front :thumbsd:
But you're suppose to be the one giving way. :D

Anyway, all jokes aside, I think if people are considerate, no reason why cyclists and people can't co-exist on the same "way"...

The cyclist just has slow down when in crowded places and give people reaction time to "siam" you. When really too crowded, have the courtesy to get off the bike and push it (to avoid "wobbling" on the bike, making it even harder for pedestrian to judge which way to "siam").
And it always help to say "thank you" to the pedestrian after he "siam" you, it is after all his "right of way"...

As for my reaction to those BAD cyclists? Sometimes just have the devilish urge to kick them on the side and make them fall, just haven't actually done anything like that yet... :devil: :D
 

Feb 17, 2002
227
0
0
Woodlands
Visit site
#15
I cycle to work which is abt 10-15 mins away on my bike. 99% I try to make sure that I cycle on the road. Thankfully, my route to and from my workplace is a straight one. But for protection, I do make sure that I put on a helmet (better than nothing up there!).

I do agree that most cyclists on the pavements are inconsiderate. They expect you to give them way when they actually can cycle on the grass verge next to the pavement.

However, I do understand too that there are cyclists who are fearful of riding on the roads, especially children. If we ban them from the pavements, where are they going to cycle?

I agree that the key clause here is "Be Considerate".
 

Wai

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
5,270
0
36
39
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
#16
Originally posted by drafting88

I do agree that most cyclists on the pavements are inconsiderate. They expect you to give them way when they actually can cycle on the grass verge next to the pavement.
i think it is fine to cycle on pavement as long as the cyclist is careful....it is those motorcyclist who even ride their bike on the pavements are incosiderate....some try to take short cut by riding on pavement...some try to save on parking fee by parking under void deck.....and becos the speed for motorbike is much faster, it pose more danger to pedestrain.

i tot there are drains along the grass verge? quite difficult to cycle thru those drains rite?
 

S

Sin

Guest
#18
Reading that forum, seems like there's still a handful of cyclist in Singapore who's still not clear about their legal status, and the crux of the problem. Good to at least see many voices of reason among them too.

Can't believe there are still cyclist who wants the pedestrain to bear the responsibility of looking out for them, instead of the other way round. A certain someone may need to be careful of what they wish for (ban bicycles in Singapore), he just might get what he wish for if cyclists do not recognise the root of the problem and try to solve it within their own ranks/forum.

:dunno:
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#19
See, those politically correct guys are preaching to the converted. Who's going to bring the word out to the 99% of cyclists who don't visit tgp? Especially the poor foreign workers who depend on the bicycle as their only mode of transport, and have been brought up believing that the best way to get around is using the pavements, because that's safest?

BTW the guy calling for a ban lives in Australia.
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#20
BTW2 Sehsuan, the best reason for cycling in the middle of the slow lane is to prevent vehicles from trying to squeeze you out. It's actually safer that way. I do that myself when the situation warrants it.

I think the guy was trying to prove a point - that if he was not entitled to use the pavement, then he was at least entitled to a full lane on the road.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom