Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming

Oct 22, 2006
[video=youtube;VqmtdktCzAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqmtdktCzAs[/video]

please cycle with utmost care

never assume the other party would look out for you

Good observation there.
Wa, nowadays cameras everywhere. Must really drive carefully, else evidence captured easily

Yup. It was most likely the turning arrow was flashing and the light was red, and the cyclist just shot through. In this scenario, the car has the right of way

But it's hard to tell. Sometimes the turning arrow flashes at the same time the light turns amber. In this scenario, the cyclist still has the right of way

But this video also shows (to a certain extent) how idiotic drivers slow down and hold up traffic to get a good look at the accident, without stopping to help. Granted though, we can't see whether the postee stopped in the end to help.

Maybe he shot past the red light for vehicles, coming from the left hand side.
If the pedestrian crossing light was green, then the road traffic light for vehicles would be red.
Looks like the cyclist broke the traffic rules.

CyclistbeinghitampFlewatSingaporeExpowithtext.jpg

there's something wrong with your analysis though. that "Pedestrian crossing flashing green light" is for the turning lane, not for vehicles going straight. as you would have noticed, there's no way that across the two-lane carriageway, the pedestrian light would be green at the same time as the traffic lights

Ok. I watched the video a few times. We not sure how the traffic light on the cyclist side works. If the timing is the same as the one which the car is at, it's the car fault as the cyclist already cross it during amber. If the cyclist side become red first, it's the cyclist fault as the car still can go straight or right turn. But car driver panic to turn, didn't notice cyclist. Hopes he is alright anyway. (Hopes my theory is correct.)

Like that sure fracture some bones. Maybe internal injury. Hope he recovers. And is covered by medical insurance.

The right of way or whatever is to protect those who survive. But if I am the guy crossing the road, I will bear in mind that I have peoples that will want to see me returning home safely. If I really do want to cycle, I will not dash across the road in the bicycle before ensuring that it is safe to cross. (Least slow down and check before crossing the road)

It may sound like stereotyping, but cyclist who are "flesh over metal" versus "metal over flesh", what are you to say about right of way after the accident if you are perm in bed? (whether it is Vege or RIP)
*Touch wood.

Last edited:
http://sgforums.com/forums/2458/topics/462629
Anyone knows if it is legal for cyclist to cycle across pedestrian crossings?

It's illegal to do so. Must push the bicycle over but a lot ignore it. Btw, the cyclist in the video is on the road, not from pavement to road. Can tell from the zebra crossing lights there. Anyway, a lot of cyclists cycle from pavement to road and back like they own it. Ring the bell like mad dogs barking and expected other to give way. Yet no policeman around to stop them. Want to point middle finger when I heard those bells ringing. See who scare who. Ha ha!

http://sgforums.com/forums/2458/topics/462629
Anyone knows if it is legal for cyclist to cycle across pedestrian crossings?

not too sure whether he is using the pedestrian crossing or cycling along the side of the road, and crossing the junction.

If ricohflex is right that the green man flashing, then the traffic light facing cyclist should hv been RED!

It's illegal to do so. Must push the bicycle over but a lot ignore it. Btw, the cyclist in the video is on the road, not from pavement to road. Can tell from the zebra crossing lights there. Anyway, a lot of cyclists cycle from pavement to road and back like they own it. Ring the bell like mad dogs barking and expected other to give way. Yet no policeman around to stop them. Want to point middle finger when I heard those bells ringing. See who scare who. Ha ha!

Ha ha thanks. 9 out of 10 dun obey traffic rules.

not too sure whether he is using the pedestrian crossing or cycling along the side of the road, and crossing the junction.

If ricohflex is right that the green man flashing, then the traffic light facing cyclist should hv been RED!

wow RED!

watch carefully.. the cyclist dash through when the red man is up..
when the green arrow for turning right came up, it should have been red man for pedestrian crossing..
so i think he dash through at the moment the red man came up..
he was cycling quite fast so i think its an unfortunate accident

Do note is night time and I'm not sure if he hv light in front.... I think theres tree and it is quite difficult to see people cycling if theres tree n light from lampost is block by trees.

I had a similar close encounter too.... I was about turning right..... right turn arrow not up but red man is on n no car from opposite road.... so almost turn but noticed a moving shadow.... so I stopped... the cyclist was on road but was not speeding n no head light..... I was lucky....

Poor motorist will get it some how.....

And if u noticed. ... there's lot of idiot drivers who dun on head light.... reallly.... accident waiting to happen.....

watch carefully.. the cyclist dash through when the red man is up..
when the green arrow for turning right came up, it should have been red man for pedestrian crossing..
so i think he dash through at the moment the red man came up..
he was cycling quite fast so i think its an unfortunate accident

Maybe this guy is the really lucky and fortunate type and has already beaten 100 red lights and 200 amber lights.

Yes you are right. It is actually illegal to ride the bicycle (including electric which more and more old farts are doing) across the zebra Crossing. Something almost all cyclists, locals or foreigners does. They ride across and actually have the ignorance or audacity to think they have the right of way. No one is stopping them most of the time. Thus overtime many think they have the same rights or more over those on foot to use the crossing. Do what I do.. DON'T give way if you can. I am a cyclist since the 80s so don't get the impression I am bias against cyclists. I know of many idiotic cyclist fully geared up in cycling togs and act like fools on and off road. Pedestriancrossing are for people on foot's safety not the cyclist with whom I have seen many a times almost knocking adults or children as they struggle to weave thru at a slow pedal between people rushing to cross the street casuing some to stop and move aside for cyclists. That should NOT be the way. Bicycle may not kill but it can still injure or cause others to be harms way. So what if there is hardly anyone crossing the road when you ride across. what example are you showing those young kids that is staying around there to see adults doing this and they follow your example.

As for the accident video, I have cycled that route many times coming back from Coastal Road. That is a long straight road where the car that was video taping the accident is Xilin Ave. The cyclist was coming out from the left road which lead from the SMRT train servicing area. (Laguna Golf Green) The speeding car from the right is coming out from the area of Changi Business Center.( Changi South Ave 3) depending on the time of night, this road is pretty empty and wide lane and I can say, I have seen many cars making speed acceleration to beat the lights or accelerate from a stand still off this traffic junction. Personally, that car that hit the cyclist making that right turn should have slowed at the traffic light in the junction box prior to continuing his right turn just to be sure there was no on coming traffic be it four wheels or two. The car seem to be coming out towards the junction box and then making the turn in one go. That has happen to me before but I was always aware enough to never take drivers for granted they would stop and it has saved me many times especially at such kinds of junctions in my night rides. I have very bright flashing head light on my bike at all times and still they dash forward and turn almost like they rationalize or are fully aware of my presence but feel they have the right of way or they "over" estimate the timing that their car is faster then me to make the turn. Or they feel being a bike, we can stop on a dime better then a car or we would stop for them. So I have one rule, the wider the roads and the more quiet the road seem lacking cars, the more likely to encounter drivers speeding or making fast dashes off the line.... for fun. Like some one here says... metal car versus skin and bones. The latter always loses even if you have the right of way.

Just my take. Don't end up in a hospital or morgue for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanzohattori
That is a long straight road where the car that was video taping the accident is Xilin Ave. The cyclist was coming out from the left road which lead from the SMRT train servicing area.

The car that was videotaping was driving along Upper Changi Road East in the direction towards Bedok. In the video (21:53:23), you can tell from the white signboard on the left of the road reading "Singapore Expo" & "Bedok New Town" as the car drove straight on after the accident happened.

2013-12-22__Image001.jpg

The cyclist was coming out from Somapah Road.
The car that hit the cyclist was coming out of Simei Road and was turning right into Upper Changi Road East.

Last edited:
Both chiong and now teo tai chi....imo Cyclist is foolish to dash across like that...he should have at least SLG...by right he should unmount and push the bike...but I guess 99.9% of cyclist will not do that...poo happened now...he will be the one suffered the most....RIP...

The cyclist may have beaten the red traffic light for vehicles. He was riding on the road and not on the pedestrian crossing.
As you can see from the video, he was riding at high speed.

The small green light (which I mistook for a pedestrian crossing light) mounted lower, was an angled traffic light directed towards the cars opposite. The green flashing light must have allowed them to turn right from Simei Road, into Upper Changi Road East in the direction towards Bedok.

This is that particular angled traffic light in daytime.
2013-12-22__Image003.jpg

If cars in the diagonally opposite junction were allowed to turn right, then the traffic light for vehicles along Somapah Road where the cyclist was, must be red. The cyclist ran the red light.

CyclistbeinghitatSomapahwithtext.jpg

Last edited:
If cars in the diagonally opposite junction were allowed to turn right, then the traffic light for vehicles along Somapah Road where the cyclist was, must be red. The cyclist ran the red light.

There might not be the case as (or maybe), both side traffic lights can turn red at same time. If so, the cyclist is crossing the road when it's amber (from the opposite traffic light). Just that driver panic, turn without checking.

This morning, I sure a few cars turn right even turn when already RED and the other side are GREEN at X junction. Luckily no accident else I sure go do witness, heh heh!

There might not be the case as (or maybe), both side traffic lights can turn red at same time. If so, the cyclist is crossing the road when it's amber (from the opposite traffic light). Just that driver panic, turn without checking.

This morning, I sure a few cars turn right even turn when already RED and the other side are GREEN at X junction. Luckily no accident else I sure go do witness, heh heh!

You're right. Some drivers like to make the dash when they see the light flashing and can't stop in time, or just follow the car in front without looking

Status
Not open for further replies.