cycling + photography

glgl96

Apr 16, 2010
Singapore, Singapore
posting this thread to check. will anyone be interested to go cycling and photography.

what i have in mind is to start cycling at 3pm. so we can cycle to somewhere and take sunset. then we can carry on cycling at about 8pm to somewhere else to do some other genre of photography. then cycle back in the morning we can shoot sunrise.

haven't tried this before. anyone any comments?

I'm quite keen in this idea, in fact have been wanting to do it for quite some time but no taki. But 3pm seems to be too early a timing to cycle :)

you mean something like this??
2519891867_911f45f132.jpg

i dun mind...

Start something simple like ECP connectors, Mac to Changi Board Walk :) I am considering something more adventurous but can do it only once a year at most. I am starting to built a folding bike and then thinking of Yangshuo , Cambodia, and of course England when I visit relative. Ritchey built their frame once a year and think I miss this Dec trip which is best time to visit Cambodia. Anyone keen in Cambodia, can rent their bike and we start our "training" now, for me photography and cycling skill needs improvement ;p

hmm. i'm ok with it haha. but i guess not overseas.

i mean in sg. cause i'm going to serve the nation soon so no overseas for me. i mean using bicycle as a mode of transport for us to move around in sg. so we can go to different locations to shoot.

I dont think it's a good idea to do so. Carrying expensive stuff while cycling is not that ideal. You might fall n can kiss your camera items good bye. You also will feels tired n your mood on taking photos, wouldn't be there. You still have to guard your bicycle when taking photos. So many things to think of, worth? Just take a cab to the spot if you want to take photos. Cycle without much items on body is safer, esp on the road. ;)

mood wise i agree.
cab is rather difficult for me now. on a tight budget.
equipment wise. my equipment not really heavy. :D

maybe i'll do it alone, much safer.

mood wise i agree.
cab is rather difficult for me now. on a tight budget.
equipment wise. my equipment not really heavy. :D

maybe i'll do it alone, much safer.

Dont do alone! "Touch Wood", anythings happen to you during those wee hours, no 1 knows. Maybe the following way might help you a bit.

After taking sunset, take a bus/MRT to town for night photography. Once done, try to catch a train to downtown east. At least got a place for you to rest n got mac for your hungry stomach. Find 1 corner n rest, set alarm for sunrise. I not that sure where to find sunrise from east side, if you know, it's good else depend on ur luck. Since you on east side, cabs fare also not much ba. ;) Just dont rent the bicycle there, cause the some of it, will be having the brake on the WRONG side n you might fall!!! :bigeyes:

For night photography, tripod is a must ? Maybe you can consider cycle from East Coast Park to Changi Board Walk for sunrise. Then proceed to Ubin, but stick strictly to asphalt road which is a safer option ( no off road ! ) and where there's some shade. Here you can consider macro photography ( not sure if tripod is a must ) or take pics of other's doing leisure activities ? Food photography during lunch, ask owner to give better presentation ?:bsmilie: Not sure about Chek Jawa, don't think you can bring bicycle there, else someone has to stay behind to watch the bikes. Set off from there to next preferred destination for sunset ? Cycling in Ubin, even not off road ,may need some stamina.;)

Last edited:
i carry bagpack and cycle. i use flipside 200. smetimes i cycle down to punggol end and take photos. i ride a cervelo tri bike. :D

For night photography, tripod is a must ? Maybe you can consider cycle from East Coast Park to Changi Board Walk for sunrise. Then proceed to Ubin, but stick strictly to asphalt road which is a safer option ( no off road ! ) and where there's some shade. Here you can consider macro photography ( not sure if tripod is a must ) or take pics of other's doing leisure activities ? Food photography during lunch, ask owner to give better presentation ?:bsmilie: Not sure about Chek Jawa, don't think you can bring bicycle there, else someone has to stay behind to watch the bikes. Set off from there to next preferred destination for sunset ? Cycling in Ubin, even not off road ,may need some stamina.;)
east coast park to changi board walk isn't really far right? then from changi if i have to go to ubin, i will have to bring my bike along. then i will have to load my bike up the boat. if i'm not wrong have extra charge. chek jawa cannot bring bike in. only can park outside. i think maybe i will just go ubin for a full day trip or something.

Dont do alone! "Touch Wood", anythings happen to you during those wee hours, no 1 knows. Maybe the following way might help you a bit.

After taking sunset, take a bus/MRT to town for night photography. Once done, try to catch a train to downtown east. At least got a place for you to rest n got mac for your hungry stomach. Find 1 corner n rest, set alarm for sunrise. I not that sure where to find sunrise from east side, if you know, it's good else depend on ur luck. Since you on east side, cabs fare also not much ba. ;) Just dont rent the bicycle there, cause the some of it, will be having the brake on the WRONG side n you might fall!!! :bigeyes:
i rented bike quite a few times for overnight trip. so far so good. just hope nothing will go wrong as i continue renting! downtown east as in pasir ris park? pasir ris park have sunrise now? cause the last time i went. couldnt really see. due to the construction. but that was quite long ago la.

i carry bagpack and cycle. i use flipside 200. smetimes i cycle down to punggol end and take photos. i ride a cervelo tri bike. :D
maybe i will rent a bike and cycle down meet you to go there tgt to take photos?

I dont think it's a good idea to do so. Carrying expensive stuff while cycling is not that ideal. You might fall n can kiss your camera items good bye. You also will feels tired n your mood on taking photos, wouldn't be there. You still have to guard your bicycle when taking photos. So many things to think of, worth? Just take a cab to the spot if you want to take photos. Cycle without much items on body is safer, esp on the road. ;)

You won't know the joys of cycling and photography till you tried it. The ability to see different things easily efficiently is wonderful! Not to mention freedom.

Ride safely, don't rush and you'll be safe. bring a bicycle lock too and more importantly.. lots of water. Most likely if you're cycling, you'll be going to places not very populated thus shops would not be found so easily.

Also bring enough batteries and cf cards to make sure you don't shorten your experience due to such circumstances. =)

You won't know the joys of cycling and photography till you tried it. The ability to see different things easily efficiently is wonderful! Not to mention freedom.

Ride safely, don't rush and you'll be safe. bring a bicycle lock too and more importantly.. lots of water. Most likely if you're cycling, you'll be going to places not very populated thus shops would not be found so easily.

Also bring enough batteries and cf cards to make sure you don't shorten your experience due to such circumstances. =)

I did try before cycling with photography but i feels that too much trouble to look after both items, esp my bicycle cost almost 1k, good target, haha!

To TS : After you got your bicycle, check brakes. Mostly right hand side is for back else you better dont cycle fast n go for brake. I was abt to fall from a rented bicycle as that uncle put brake for back at left side! :thumbsd:

From Mac to Changi Board Walk is approx 18-19 km ? Bike plus person for boat trip is $4.50. Jio more people then it'll be more fun. Unless you are lone ranger, else quite boring. Saw a group with pretty good camera setup last week, maybe taking macro. Saw a beautiful green tree snake escaping from being run over. Maybe you're right , just do Ubin will do.

maybe i will do both. both ubin in one day. then another day for cycling. i wanna use up this whole month for photography. before i serve the nation next mth.

To BBTM: thanks for the advice. i always check the bike i rent. first thing i check is the brake as well. then i check the gears.