Cutipie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJupHahn

Aug 11, 2009
East, Singapore
3814018035_4768b75c73.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Everything. Composition, exposure, colour, tone.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
a)Capture the cuteness of the child and
b)evoke an element of fun.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Indoors: in a shopping mall. Daiso, Plaza Singapura.
A candid, spontaneous shot.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
colour seems off, but i don't know where and what.
i think it's slightly out of focus. it seems the like the shirt is in focus and the face is slightly soft.
maybe i should show the more of the basket.

if im not wrong, ur white balance is off. its a bit too warm. you could fix it with photoshop

that black strap in the back ground is a distraction too, shld have asked the person to back out from the picture and take just the kid

I like composition. Number 2 you have achieved fully. I agree with 2 previous comments: white balance is not there which can be corrected with one click e.g. in Photoshop. Regarding guy behind, these are things must be checked before taking a shot...what do you want to be included in photo really, even it is spontaneus. Removing or hiding them in PP comes more challenging. If it is sharp or not with my screen here I cannot say...naturally it should be sharp e.g. on eyes and not on shirt.

it would be nice if the jeans/shorts wasnt in the way. and yes the black strap.
also. try to get the boy's head in the picture entirely.
other than that its pretty nice.

I like composition. Number 2 you have achieved fully. I agree with 2 previous comments: white balance is not there which can be corrected with one click e.g. in Photoshop. Regarding guy behind, these are things must be checked before taking a shot...what do you want to be included in photo really, even it is spontaneus. Removing or hiding them in PP comes more challenging. If it is sharp or not with my screen here I cannot say...naturally it should be sharp e.g. on eyes and not on shirt.

it would be nice if the jeans/shorts wasnt in the way. and yes the black strap.
also. try to get the boy's head in the picture entirely.
other than that its pretty nice.

if im not wrong, ur white balance is off. its a bit too warm. you could fix it with photoshop

that black strap in the back ground is a distraction too, shld have asked the person to back out from the picture and take just the kid

How can I get the right white balance? What setting should I change my WB to?

Oh! I didn't know that the black strap could be so distracting. Noted.
I'm a beginner and I'm wondering how do you get rid of the person behind? Do you wait till he leaves? Or do you ask him to move aside? Coz I'm worried it might come off arrogant and annoying.

Anyway, thank you all so much. =) More critiques are needed.

white balance can be fixxed with photoshop, if u still have the RAW u can temper with it individually, but if not, u can use auto color. these are the methods i use anyway, but there are prolly more ways to do so.

composition wise, its dam hard to photoshop out a whole person. thus u shld prolly tell the person to excuse a bit as ur taking photo, most ppl will move, others will ignore u, the rare few will go "simi dai ji" and give u the typical act pai kia stare, but if they hit u, u'll prolly be on ur way to a nice compensation so u can prolly get a even better camera (say 5D or D3x) =P, in the end, its ok to ask ppl to move for the sake of a shot

white balance can be fixxed with photoshop, if u still have the RAW u can temper with it individually, but if not, u can use auto color. these are the methods i use anyway, but there are prolly more ways to do so.

composition wise, its dam hard to photoshop out a whole person. thus u shld prolly tell the person to excuse a bit as ur taking photo, most ppl will move, others will ignore u, the rare few will go "simi dai ji" and give u the typical act pai kia stare, but if they hit u, u'll prolly be on ur way to a nice compensation so u can prolly get a even better camera (say 5D or D3x) =P, in the end, its ok to ask ppl to move for the sake of a shot

HAHAHA. A 5D or D3x.
Yea, okay. point taken.

the eye of the little boy catch my attention first.
Then I look around to find some distraction points like the black belt, finger behind boy, fence, head half crop.

The person is actually holding onto the child,(refers.. left armpit of child ).
And the child's left arm at elbow joint seems a bit painful.

There are many possible location to shoot a child's portrait instead of this tight and cramp spot.

East coast park where the child enjoy riding a bicycle or building sand castle would be a good choice..natural environment, the sea, beach, sky, grass, fresh air and natural lighting.

Last edited:
too tight, with too much going on here.

skin cast is yellow!

A good snapshot.
But no place as serious work.
The out of focus knees take up too much of the photos.

Often, foreground bokehs are not as soothing as background bokehs. I try to have more background bokehs than foreground bokehs in any one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.