Custom Whitebalance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhooQ

Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Hi.
I understand that inorder to use the custom WB is I have to shoot a white piece of paper. Fill the frame with it, then use the image for custom WB setting. This is only usefull if the lights is the same for the subject.

Do I need to ensure that the white paper will turn white in the image? What if it turns other color due to difficult light condition, will it still work for custom WB?

hope to get friendly reply... :D

PhooQ said:
Hi.
I understand that inorder to use the custom WB is I have to shoot a white piece of paper. Fill the frame with it, then use the image for custom WB setting. This is only usefull if the lights is the same for the subject.

Do I need to ensure that the white paper will turn white in the image? What if it turns other color due to difficult light condition, will it still work for custom WB?

hope to get friendly reply... :D

Er...that's the whole purpose, the cam make use of whatever colour the white paper reflected, to make the necessary adjustment. You don't have to ensure that the white paper looks white.

Always get friendly reply... :D

Which camera are you using?

For some cameras, you use the techinque you described, using your eye judgement on the LCD (unless you're carrying a laptop or desktop with corrected screen) to manually adjust the WB (in Kelvin) until the paper looks white. Then use that white balance setting for shooting in that light. Note that if the light changes, and you're not in RAW mode, all your subsequent pictures will have their WB off.

For other cameras, you shoot that white paper, then set that picture (in camera) as the custom WB. Same pitfall as above, except you don't have to use 'eye judgement on LCD', and can be repeated faster and more easily.

Me? i just use auto WB and PS anything that's haywire. Not ideal, but convenient, and i'm lazy.

Hi. Im using G2.
Thanks for the input, I understand now. :thumbsup:

from this thread, i have gathered that even the prosumer digicams have the custom wb function...
thought dslr have it...
good knowlege...

showtime said:
from this thread, i have gathered that even the prosumer digicams have the custom wb function...
thought dslr have it...
good knowlege...
Even my old olympus digital cam has custim WB function also.

Status
Not open for further replies.