Custom WB business...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpc

Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
:sweat: Haiz... This IR business is so funny... A month ago, first time I tried, I did not set custom WB... So results were the usual "red"... Read that have to set custom WB, so ok... Tried it again today... Still the same result (well except it's a bit more darker this time)!!! Then recheck this forum again, found out that I did not do it correctly, as I had used a photo to be used as the standard for the custom WB (Using D70 here)...

Questions:-
1. Would using a photo (R72 filter pointing to blue sky only) works?
2. If using the WB button with PRE setting, must it be only grass? Will the sky colour (blue) works? Or even if you point to clouds?
3. Is the shutter speed and aperture important when doing the custom WB? What settings should we be using? P? M with specific shutter and aperture setting?
4. Once the custom WB is done and no error message on LCD... How to check the first shot that it is correct - If say pointing to grass for custom WB; pointing to sky for custom WB? pointing to cloud for custom WB? etc...

Alpc said:
:sweat: Haiz... This IR business is so funny... A month ago, first time I tried, I did not set custom WB... So results were the usual "red"... Read that have to set custom WB, so ok... Tried it again today... Still the same result (well except it's a bit more darker this time)!!! Then recheck this forum again, found out that I did not do it correctly, as I had used a photo to be used as the standard for the custom WB (Using D70 here)...

Questions:-
1. Would using a photo (R72 filter pointing to blue sky only) works?
2. If using the WB button with PRE setting, must it be only grass? Will the sky colour (blue) works? Or even if you point to clouds?
3. Is the shutter speed and aperture important when doing the custom WB? What settings should we be using? P? M with specific shutter and aperture setting?
4. Once the custom WB is done and no error message on LCD... How to check the first shot that it is correct - If say pointing to grass for custom WB; pointing to sky for custom WB? pointing to cloud for custom WB? etc...

Basically there are 2 methods of setting CWB for D70.
A. Use a photo that was taken beforehand and let D70 calculate the WB from it.
B. Set D70 to CWB mode and take a photo of a scene to calculate the WB.

The Latter is easier to do. Instructions can be found here.

For ur Qns:
1. Yes, it can work, but try to find a patch of brightly lit grass to use as the scene for CWB.
2. Actually even if you point to any scene it'll still work. Just that you'll need to do more post processing.
3. Use Program mode when setting CWB.
4. After correct CWB is set, the photo will NOT be red. It'll be slightly brownish.
For example, see my snow guide pg 1

Nice post ark, and excellent work with the PS IR action.. that is amazing WOW..!

Thanks Blaze, just hope Alpc can get his IR shots done ;)

Well.. I managed to get it working with by the CWB and get a reading... But not via photo. Just that after that, I never did managed to get a sunny day and good brightness to get some shots.... So typical!

Status
Not open for further replies.