curve in a RAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensx

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
hi ppl..

i have a nagging question.. been shooting jpeg.. and recently moved to RAW for more details retention.

should i continue to have custom curves loaded in the cam, when shots are in RAW?

does the curve restrict the details captured and how will it impact further post processing?

comments?

Jan 23, 2005
Singapore
sensx said:
should i continue to have custom curves loaded in the cam, when shots are in RAW?

does the curve restrict the details captured and how will it impact further post processing?
It should not make any difference. However, a selected curve might be recorded as metadata in the file, and the download/raw processing software could possibly use it as a default when converting from raw to other formats.

If the raw conversion program produces only low-resolution data (like 8bpp or 24 bpp JPEG), or if your image processing program cannot deal with high-resolution data, it is better to apply curves before the conversion to avoid accumulation of round-off errors.

CrashWire

May 26, 2003
Visit site
Nikon Capture won't let you add custom curves to your RAW, so you're better off shooting with them.

user111

Jul 27, 2004
its gd to be able to use custom curves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom