Current thinking on best LCDs and Calibrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt2000

Nov 28, 2007
Hi,

I classify myself as a serious amateur, and I moved from film to digital last year. Long story short, I now need to get into colour management to make sure WISIWIG.

I wonder if people can help me out on tightening my choices? I had been looking for an IPS panel that will fit in my monitor cabinet - this means about 20 to 21". I would like widescreen ideally (but this is not a must have).

I wondered if the forum had any up to date opinions on the following monitors:

Eizo CE210W, but I understand this is a PVA panel. I assumed from what I read I would be better off with IPS? It is also above what I had wanted to pay (so if I go for this it means saving for a bit longer). I know people rate Eizo - is PVA now OK to use and if so why?

I had looked at the Apple 20" Cinema display, but understand that as a PC user I am limited in what I can control on this screen? Is my understanding correct? I have full control of all the usual advanced features via my graphics card - would this make a difference? Basically, have people been able to calibrate this on a PC via a calibration unit with no problems?

I had also looked at the NEC LCD20WGX2 screen (USD 622) as it shares the same IPS panel as the Mac, but the very glossy coating put me off somewhat. Do people have any experiences they would care to share on this panel re photo editing especially reflection? My working area has quite a mix of lighting (but I am stuck with that).

Of course, all this is irrelevant without calibration, so I intend to buy this as well. Do people have opinions about the Spyder 2 range (express and suite) - I think Spyder 3 and Pro are too expensive for me. How about the Eye-One Display 2?

Finally, any recommendations on best places to buy in Singapore?

Now I am much better equipped but it seems that extra knowledge is causing my head to spin. My wife says I have to buy something soon or some kind of divorce is imminent...

Thanks

Hi,

If you need the best LCD monitor, look at the Eizo CG Series. But be prepared for sticker shock!The CE Series is a notch below the CG, but still very good. The CG Series can display 100% of the aRGB gamut of colours. The only other LCD monitor that can display the full aRGB gamut is the ultra expensive LED backlight LCD monitor from NEC. The CE will probably display a little less than full aRGB, but still very much better than the average LCD monitors.

About 2 years ago, I purchased the Eizo S2410W. This is the S Series and after comparing this to the Dell and Apple, I decided this was the better monitor. As for me, whether it is PVA or IPS, is immaterial. Have a look at the monitors and make up your own mind. For monitor profiling, I opted for the Printfix Pro Suite 2.0 which has both the Spyder 2 Pro and a spectrocolorimeter for profiling my printer as well.

I do not think you will go wrong with the Eizo.

N.S. Ng
http://nns555.zenfolio.com/

If you are worried about the mixed lighting, it is possible to get shades that attach around the screen to cut out reflection. But those are rather costly, so you can try DIY with non-reflective cardboard.

IMHO, as for calibration tools, go for Color Eyes Display Pro. You can buy online. I paid USD325. The colorimeter that comes with it is the 'legendary' Monaco/X-Rite DTP94 :thumbsup:

Unless u own a high end printer or have access to a high end lab, most labs can only output approximately the sRGB gamut.. most of the colors u see on high end screens will never make it to print..

So... in short.. have the 'best' isnt worth much to most photographers except for personal satisfaction 'on-screen'. I find Lacie's old 321 LCD pretty much matches lab prints when calibrated properly... but that's also because I also calibrate our local lab's machinery.. I have a DellWFP2707 which has a very wide gamut on screen but the colors you see do not come out on prints as rich nor as vibrant as we see.. only when we cut the gamut down to sRGB can vibrancy be seen..

my 2 cts..

Unless u own a high end printer or have access to a high end lab, most labs can only output approximately the sRGB gamut.. most of the colors u see on high end screens will never make it to print..

So... in short.. have the 'best' isnt worth much to most photographers except for personal satisfaction 'on-screen'. I find Lacie's old 321 LCD pretty much matches lab prints when calibrated properly... but that's also because I also calibrate our local lab's machinery.. I have a DellWFP2707 which has a very wide gamut on screen but the colors you see do not come out on prints as rich nor as vibrant as we see.. only when we cut the gamut down to sRGB can vibrancy be seen..

my 2 cts..

I like to retain as much color info as possible to give myself the flexibility to use it when needed. Although we may not be able to print using the full color gamut, it is good to have as wide a gamut as possible becos during the photoshop processes, the image quality generally deteriorates and so does the color quality. Having a wider gamut will lessen the deterioration.

Doing a soft-proof before printing will also help to decide the best paper for the job and the best print possible....just my two cents worth :)

a good ~20" display you can think about is the Samsung XL20... saw it at the Samsung shop at Vivocity some time ago but no longer there... maybe email them to ask about availability... an LED backlit screen able to display full Adobe RGB colour...

Status
Not open for further replies.