*Curious* - What are your setup for Off-Shoe Strobes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juristium

Apr 17, 2008
I'm curious for those who actually uses Off-Shoe Stobes Techniques please do share. Im looking forward to try a off shoe techniques. :D

Hey there, here's my setup. I've replaced the canon tripod with a proper lightstand. I currently light with only one flash and I'm looking to get a few more flashes after my Os.

2535361891_6a42b38b3c_o.jpg

From top to bottom:
  • 43" 2-in-1 umbrella (currently without reflective cover)
  • 580EXII
  • Hot-shoe to hot-shoe connector
  • Radio Receiver
  • Flash Mount
  • Tripod

And here's what I got with it.

2536177468_6e48fcd9aa_o.jpg

Cheers,
Zexun

This is pretty much all my flashes sans the 430EXII which I recently got..

3 Vivitar 285HVs with DIY grids on them, plus some light painting to spice things up.. click for the resulting pic..

Headshotzx:
How come you chose the umbrellas instead? Wouldn't a softbox be better for your studio work?

J-Chan: Stylo photo u got man, what did you light paint it with?

Headshotzx:
How come you chose the umbrellas instead? Wouldn't a softbox be better for your studio work?

J-Chan: Stylo photo u got man, what did you light paint it with?

I needed mobility, that's why I went the umbrella way. That's also why I went with the 2-in-1 umbrella, so I don't have to bring so many umbrellas around if i'm not sure how i'm going to be shooting.

I needed mobility, that's why I went the umbrella way. That's also why I went with the 2-in-1 umbrella, so I don't have to bring so many umbrellas around if i'm not sure how i'm going to be shooting.

Im considering should i even do 580EX setup for portable strobe or should i get a AlienBee instead.

2 X 580EX + 1 X ST-E2 = S$1.5K
1 X AB800 + those accessories like stand and reflector + battery pack is = S$1k

Okayy correct me if im wrong (i've never used one before) but aren't you supposed to shoot the umbrella facing out? then the light will bounce back and onto your subject.

oh.. and what do you mean 2-in-1?

Okayy correct me if im wrong (i've never used one before) but aren't you supposed to shoot the umbrella facing out? then the light will bounce back and onto your subject.

oh.. and what do you mean 2-in-1?

its a shoot-thru umbrella meaning its made of translucent material to diffuse the light.. it can be used both ways, either thru or bounced..

Im considering should i even do 580EX setup for portable strobe or should i get a AlienBee instead.

2 X 580EX + 1 X ST-E2 = S$1.5K
1 X AB800 + those accessories like stand and reflector + battery pack is = S$1k

4xVivitar 285HV S$512 without shipping + ( 1x radio transmitter + 4x radio receiver ) S$250 from Ruby Photo + 4 x hot-shoe mounts S$80 from Ruby Photo + lightstands and umbrellas of your choice (Probably can't go for more than S$200) = S$1k +

Why'd you need 2 580EXIIs? For strobist setups, you don't need TTL, so non-ettl flashes like the vivitar or the discontinued sunpak 383 is good.

Last edited:
580s can pull double duty if you require a on camera flash for fast paced situations.

ETTL also takes some of the chore of manually setting powers out simply by setting compensation and ratios.

These are just some of the pros I feel the 580s have over manual flashes. That said, manual flashes offer the most value for money, and put out equivalent power to the 580s for some of them.

for multiple flash set up, best is using manual mode, since there is no way that camera can and able to communicate to individual flash wireless, if you are using Auto mode or TTL mode will really mess up, unless you are using the Nikon CLS, so the basic flash with manual power mode is good enough.

4xVivitar 285HV S$512 without shipping + ( 1x radio transmitter + 4x radio receiver ) S$250 from Ruby Photo + 4 x hot-shoe mounts S$80 from Ruby Photo + lightstands and umbrellas of your choice (Probably can't go for more than S$200) = S$1k +

Why'd you need 2 580EXIIs? For strobist setups, you don't need TTL, so non-ettl flashes like the vivitar or the discontinued sunpak 383 is good.

BTW, your link proken. should be http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-285HV-Auto-Professional-Flash/dp/B00004TVSP

Status
Not open for further replies.