Curious on attitude of some Wedding Photographers.

I am one of those photographer who discourage friends, relatives and anyone to take photographs during a wedding ceremony, an important event in the wedding etc.

One main reason why I always disallow friends and families "photographers" even if they are shooting behind me is, what if I want to step back to take a shot. Most of the photographers I know uses fixed lenses. 50mm is on my camera most of the time and the other lens is 70-200. If i want a slightly wider shot, I take a couple steps back. If there is another person with a camera behind me. Its very likely an accident will happen. If I back into the auntie with a new leica M9, both of us fall, her Leica M9 and my 2 X D700 and lenses suffers damage, Who is responsible for it? Will you be happy to pay for my damaged equipments because you are in my way?

2nd reason, the couple paid good money to hire me as their photographer for the clean, uncluttered, artistic shots. Would it be a considered a friend if you get in the way of the photographer and ruin his photo? I'm sure many wedding photographers encountered this problem during a great moment when the bride dropped a tear as she read her vow, in the background slightly behind the friend holds a camera up. Yes you are not behind the photographer to cause an accident, however you are the bokeh of a really wonderful shot with the couple remembering that oh this is the friend trying to be helpful.

3rd Reason, I absolutely hate the red, orange and green AF- assist light from various digital cameras and unkown sources of flash from other DSLRs. I know of a lot of photographers who shoot using only available light, without flash. Is it nice to paint the lovely white gown with your AF light? or overexpose the photographer's shot with your burst of flashes. Videos can't really edit the red patch away. While photos takes a great deal to edit it away.

Perhaps everyone who is guilty of trying to "help" photograph your friend's, relative's or whoever's wedding not as the official photographer or even desperate for portfolio think about the issues I brought up. Are you really helping or causing hindrance?

It is not about the photographer's attitude or fear of competition. Its about the couple who paid for a service which they truly deserved to get the best out of especially it would be preferred to be for once in a lifetime.

Guest are suppose to be part of the wedding as guest. Be happy for the couple, celebrate their union, cheer, drink, dance and be merry. The most important thing is to respect the solemn ceremony of a wedding as a guest and nothing more.

regards
Bryan

Hi pple,

i'm just a hobbist and amature photographer.

recently i volunteered myself to tag along with my fren's wedding to help him take pictures of his actual day but he turned down my help as his hired photographer and videographer advised him not to have any additional photographer to be in his actual day.

the reason cited by his hired photographer and videographer claimed that they want to avoid filming and capturing the additional photographer in their photography n videography to prevent "spoiling" their work.

i'm really puzzled of their claim and my fren actual buy their idea. :dunno: since is his big day and i got to respect his decision.

so what's wrong to film another photographer inside their work? there are other relatives or frens will be taking photos or filming as well during the actual day customary. so they are ok to be phototaken n filmed in their work? y can't the additional photographer be captured as well then?

i've shoot at another fren's wedding b4 and i noe my rights. i alwaz stand behind the main photographer and videographer to prevent blocking their angle. and at the same time i'm shooting at my own perspective. so i really dun understand y they wan to prevent others from shooting together with them?

are these hired photographers afraid that their work can't match the other "free" photographers in e same wedding event and have their reputation tarnished?

anyone has faced e same situation as me?

I am one of those photographer who discourage friends, relatives and anyone to take photographs during a wedding ceremony, an important event in the wedding etc.

One main reason why I always disallow friends and families "photographers" even if they are shooting behind me is, what if I want to step back to take a shot. Most of the photographers I know uses fixed lenses. 50mm is on my camera most of the time and the other lens is 70-200. If i want a slightly wider shot, I take a couple steps back. If there is another person with a camera behind me. Its very likely an accident will happen. If I back into the auntie with a new leica M9, both of us fall, her Leica M9 and my 2 X D700 and lenses suffers damage, Who is responsible for it? Will you be happy to pay for my damaged equipments because you are in my way?

2nd reason, the couple paid good money to hire me as their photographer for the clean, uncluttered, artistic shots. Would it be a considered a friend if you get in the way of the photographer and ruin his photo? I'm sure many wedding photographers encountered this problem during a great moment when the bride dropped a tear as she read her vow, in the background slightly behind the friend holds a camera up. Yes you are not behind the photographer to cause an accident, however you are the bokeh of a really wonderful shot with the couple remembering that oh this is the friend trying to be helpful.

3rd Reason, I absolutely hate the red, orange and green AF- assist light from various digital cameras and unkown sources of flash from other DSLRs. I know of a lot of photographers who shoot using only available light, without flash. Is it nice to paint the lovely white gown with your AF light? or overexpose the photographer's shot with your burst of flashes. Videos can't really edit the red patch away. While photos takes a great deal to edit it away.

Perhaps everyone who is guilty of trying to "help" photograph your friend's, relative's or whoever's wedding not as the official photographer or even desperate for portfolio think about the issues I brought up. Are you really helping or causing hindrance?

It is not about the photographer's attitude or fear of competition. Its about the couple who paid for a service which they truly deserved to get the best out of especially it would be preferred to be for once in a lifetime.

Guest are suppose to be part of the wedding as guest. Be happy for the couple, celebrate their union, cheer, drink, dance and be merry. The most important thing is to respect the solemn ceremony of a wedding as a guest and nothing more.

regards
Bryan

like the way u answer :D