curious: how u all learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novaflare

Dec 21, 2009
by playing out with the camera a lot with different settings?

or

take up courses?

via youtube.
via internet.
via google.
via clubsnap.
via Trial And Error.

It's good to take a course in Basic Photography.

Combination of the followings
-- read the equipment (including software) manuals
-- go for courses or talks or read up techniques discussed on the web or in books
-- experiment with different settings of equipment
-- ask around and get feedback from others

Does it matter how others learn? What is your own style? Some people can learn from books and videos (there is NLB and youtube.com), some learn by watching other people (plenty of gatherings, check the section here in forum), some people need more guidance by a teacher / trainer (links about courses are also here). Do whatever fits your personality and budget. Baseline knowledge can be found here in the forum as well, check the sticky threads in Newbies Sections - including the subsection about Articles and Guides. Happy reading :)

sometimes its good to have friends who are into the same genre as you are.

hang out more with people who are willing to teach at your pace.

books, internet and lots of trial and error.

haha, i'm actually still learning thou :)

I learn by looking at how people take photographs, magazines, youtube, internet tutorials, and try to shoot with my own style.

ya learn from someone who at least know the basic then can learn together after that :D
for me, books are useless at the start, who knows what is aperture f1.8, shutter speed 1/20, ISO 200 bababa at the start?? haha

ya learn from someone who at least know the basic then can learn together after that :D
for me, books are useless at the start, who knows what is aperture f1.8, shutter speed 1/20, ISO 200 bababa at the start?? haha

then u shld have gotten books with titles like "basic photography" etc...

i had no prob learning wat those means by reading from books :)

books, ebooks
trial and error, Exif
clubsnap, friends

in that order.

Most important though is always ask questions, why this happens with this settings, why peoples photos looked better when taken from same angle, etc

I am still asking alot of questions.... :bsmilie:

novaflare said:
by playing out with the camera a lot with different settings?

or

take up courses?

tehzeh said:
via youtube.
via internet.
via google.
via clubsnap.
via Trial And Error.

I agree that any combo of the above list from tehzeh is useful for learning photography...

Anything, EXCEPT asking "how do i...?" questions continually and hoping to be spoonfed with info.

Switch to manual mode. Learn how yr camera records light at different times of the day.
After you have basics of camera operation nailed, composition skills next. Shoot & read.

via books, magazines
via internet
go out and shoot and try to reproduce shots you like

wow! okie! gonna hit NLB and look for books 2 read up to understand more b4 trial and errors! thx guys :)

wow! okie! gonna hit NLB and look for books 2 read up to understand more b4 trial and errors! thx guys :)

Best to have peers who have the same interest too. Some stuff (like studio lighting) are better when it is demonstrated

Learning has a static formula: theory and practical. I doubt anyone really learn anything without practical experiences, and I doubt how well one can learn without knowing the basic things.

So, for me, I read from books, internet or any format I like, and listen to pro/adv photographer when they share their experience (whenever there is an outing just tag along with them), then keep snapping myself.

Last edited:
Internet is my most used tools, I learn photography things through websites and forums. Only when learning photoshop, I borrow a book from NLB.

Try to get the basic right first, I learn for quite some time with my pns with some manual control, trial and error, see what each function do, why does it happen, how to get the exposure right. After few years then I get myself a DSLR.

If got problems or questions, use the search tool or google, most of the time will get my answer. I think this initiative is seriously lacking for many people...

Internet is really powerful, I learn computer stuffs solely online without anybody to ask or books to read. If face problems will try to solve myself since nobody to turn to, in the process waste quite a bit of money, best way to learn.

I've found that the best way to learn is through books, guidance and of course photographs of legendary photographers/photojournalists like Henri Cartier-Bresson and Sebastiao Salgado

Status
Not open for further replies.