Curious about Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di

Status
Not open for further replies.

7 bu'a

Sep 8, 2005
Hi all,
Yes, i'm curious about that lens. I'm new to DSLR, i'm preparing to buy one : a 350D and the tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di. I see one Tamron in my local store @ price 300 USD :bsmilie: but the seller said it is for Nikon. Those for Canon price @ 400 USD :dunno: . I'm confused. I searched the web then got very few info about nikon mount. So, are these 2 lense just 1 or complete different? Why the price is different too?

Urgently need advices. Thx for reading.

PS: I'm in Viet Nam.

basically 3rd party lenses come in different mounts to cater to brands like nikon, canon, etc..
there is abit of difference in pricing between different mounts but not as much as USD100! u might want to check if the cheaper one is used or what.

drumma said:
basically 3rd party lenses come in different mounts to cater to brands like nikon, canon, etc..
there is abit of difference in pricing between different mounts but not as much as USD100! u might want to check if the cheaper one is used or what.

So there are 2 different lenses :cry: One for Nikon is almost new ( unused) :cry:

IIRC, optical element should be the same or similar for Canon and Nikon mount. As for price difference, may that depends on the supply and demand. Since you plan to get a Canon body, so should go for a Canon mount lens.

As for why the need for Canon and Nikon mount? A good analogy would be different motherboard for Intel and AMD CPU, get the picture???

drumma said:
i hope i didn't confuse u or anything. what camera body are u using?

Thx for ur reply. I've just bought a 350D body today . Now I have another question:embrass: Hmm, I finally found three offers:
- 5 month used Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di @ 330 USD.
- Brand New @ 370 USD.
- Brand New Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG @ 395 USD.
Sigma is much bulkier. A quick search on net revealed that Tamron maybe a better choice 'cause of little better optic & much lighter. But it also revealed that many Tamrons suffered from Front Focus. Sigma is also wider ;)

So, what should i buy? Should I try Tamron?

def go for the tamron.

it is as sharp as the nikon 28-70 or the canon 24-70L.

No kidding! I did shot for shot comparison b4!

Of coz lousier build quality, noisy and slower af...

But for the price, get the tamron. definitely better than the sigma, i had both b4....

i will go for the tamron, but if u are looking at the 75-300mm category then sigma wins hands down, even better the Canon USM

tamron 28-75, great lens for its price. personally used it before and was my standard lens all the way until the 50/1.4 came along.

But i have gone for the sigma since the new Tamron was out of stock and i'm not sure about the used one :D BTW, thank you all for the tips

Tamron 28-75 2.8 is an excellent choice, however, there are some "lemon" series and it's just not good to be hoping that you don't get a bad one. If you got a good one, the Tamron is very sharp. I do have the Sigme 28-70 2.8 EX (non-DG) and it's also a sharp lens and has produced some pretty nice wedding pics.

Firstly, it's important to understand that Front-focus back-focus problems can occur with all lenses and not just the particular lens you have mentioned. It does not mean because I pay 12k for a 600/4 it will not FF or BF forever and ever after. Many things can throw the focus off, including poor handling of the lens. On occasion, new lenses may also have this problem.

Nevertheless, it can be calibrated by the company's service centre(usually for free if the lens is under warranty). Having FF or BF does not make your lens a lemon. Lemons cannot be fixed at all by any method of repair and the only way around it is to either return it or to sell it and get yourself another copy. Be acquainted with the expected performance of a lens before buying,(soft wide open, sharp at f4 onwards. Contrast poor until f5.6 and so on) so you don't conclude everything is a lemon. Cheaper lenses like the tamron you have mentioned usually have some issues, but having said that, the tamron is really good value for it's price point. I personally feel that the nikon and canon versions are better but they also cost more than 2 times the price the of tamron.

Anyway, hope the info is of some use

"Lemon" is just a metaphor to be more accurate several quality issues for this lens has cropped up time and again in various forums outside of club snap. I do undertsnad that FF and BF can occur even brand new and easily repaired by the service center, unfortunately, Tamron is not directly present in some countries like mine and it would be a hassle and costly to send them to the nearest country. There are also very good reviews/feedback on this lens and maybe the later production issues have already solved this problem. The Tamron SP90 2.8 macro lens is one of the best in macrophotography providing 1:1 ratio and sharper than the near equivalent focal lenght Nikon and Sigma. In fairness, not only Tamron but Nikon and others as well do have quality issues like the earlier 24-120VR with serial nos. below 221xxx. It would be nice if other lens manufacturers will have a reference serial nos. to avoid.

Thanks for your advice. Yes, you're right Stoned:( My Sigma have problem like that too. 50% OOF when focus @ 4m or further @ 24mm F2,8-F5,6 . I may return it tomorrow not only its focus problem but also coz of too much CA even @ F5,6.
Again, thx for ur advice for newbie like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.