Curious about night shot quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
had a quest. before moving to DSLR which i had possess 1 yet.
now using panasonic fz7

in night shots, i tried using the followings
night scenery mode, my pics tend to be very blurry when enlarged or not
night portrait, pic looks blur too.

no tripod but have a stable support, not using my hand

i tried increasing all using ISO 400/800 but not higher, cos at max 1600, its worst.

what r the factors huh?

now using panasonic fz7

i tried increasing all using ISO 400/800 but not higher, cos at max 1600, its worst.

what r the factors huh?

1st thing 1st..... what are you shooting ?? Building, people, moving things.... etc ??

2nd..... Most if not all PnS cameras have poor noise control on high ISO. My Canon PowerShot can't even go beyond ISO 200.

3rd.... Best to use a tripod for night shoot.

Till I know what you are shooting.... (1st point). Hard to tell you what to do.... sorry :what:

Blurry could due to the high ISO, out of focus, etc. Many factors. fz7 can handle iso 100-200 f8 etc etc pretty well in manual. There's no picture shown it would be hard for anyone to pinpoint. But no doubt, fz7 or any cam can take decent nightshots. Right now by asking the factors we'll be like groping in the dark, can't answer you.

now using panasonic fz7

what r the factors huh?

That's your problem.

1st thing 1st..... what are you shooting ?? Building, people, moving things.... etc ??

2nd..... Most if not all PnS cameras have poor noise control on high ISO. My Canon PowerShot can't even go beyond ISO 200.

3rd.... Best to use a tripod for night shoot.

Till I know what you are shooting.... (1st point). Hard to tell you what to do.... sorry :what:

1st, i tried against general, the far view, scenery, in scenery and
people, up close using portrait.. with and without flash

2nd true, i tried iso 100/200/400 are still alright when viewing in com after resizing down.

3rd, yup but i tried even on a stable support like a bench. also e same thing, i puzzled.

Blurry could due to the high ISO, out of focus, etc. Many factors. fz7 can handle iso 100-200 f8 etc etc pretty well in manual. There's no picture shown it would be hard for anyone to pinpoint. But no doubt, fz7 or any cam can take decent nightshots. Right now by asking the factors we'll be like groping in the dark, can't answer you.

so far my night shots mostly suck

That's your problem.

i came to ask to find out more.. not be shoot at. i know cos my skills not like u perhaps kit.

2nd true, i tried iso 100/200/400 are still alright when viewing in com after resizing down.

3rd, yup but i tried even on a stable support like a bench. also e same thing, i puzzled.

i came to ask to find out more.. not be shoot at. i know cos my skills not like u perhaps kit.

If you choose to treat good advise as something negative, then that's really your problem.

i not taking advise as in good / bad.. all r advices..
but e way you put it.. as in towards like its my personal faults.. pls elaborate.. else arent your words very personal

of cos i wouldnt say my skills are good at all.. but i like to find out more about making a good night shot.
i had a stable support and jus using my finger to hit the shutter and shoot, <-- is this my personal err or e cam le?

well since majority compact cam r PnS like mine, arent able to compare to a true dslr cam, but there's certainly something abt PnS ma.

furthermore, i read up on DSLR, is wideangle = widescreen?

Oh no, think you misunderstood Kit, he meant to say the problem was "the tripod"...as he had bold and used bigger font on you message which he quoted...:eek:

P&S and night shots are not very compatible partners. Not using a tripod, boosting ISO figures or pixel peeping is going to disappoint you further. May I suggest you get a tripod and for the FZ7, use the self timer mode.

Btw, your nick is pretty special... you name after a Jap carrier? :angel:

also use 2 sec auto-timer

Lumix cams sux at nightshots generally. But not to the extend of being blurry, I had the fz1 long ago, worked fine @ night. What's more for a fz7. I still have some antiques like my 8-9yr old Olympus 2024 3040, takes really good nightshots for its age. So p&s or not it can still make it, low end of high end p&S, they can handle decent nightshots. I can show you.
You sure your lense is clean/fungus free? if you want just give me a buzz, I can give your cam a try.

i had a stable support and jus using my finger to hit the shutter and shoot, <-- is this my personal err or e cam le?

this is the prob. use the timer

The answer is in the question itself :bsmilie:

PnS for night shot ---> Bad shot

Not true. P&S can take good night shots if you know what you are doing.

Pointers are:

i) Use a tripod. No matter how steady you think whatever support you are using, it will never beat a tripod.
ii) Shoot at Low-ISO, if your camera allows you to shoot at exposures longer than 1s. My Ixus does.
iii) Use a 2s self timer so you can get your hands away from the camera. Don't touch the camera for the duration of the exposure, as even the slightest tap will render lots of motion blur.

i not taking advise as in good / bad.. all r advices..
but e way you put it.. as in towards like its my personal faults.. pls elaborate.. else arent your words very personal

of cos i wouldnt say my skills are good at all.. but i like to find out more about making a good night shot.

well since majority compact cam r PnS like mine, arent able to compare to a true dslr cam, but there's certainly something abt PnS ma.

furthermore, i read up on DSLR, is wideangle = widescreen?

No, wideangle is not widescreen. Wideangle lenses allow you to include more of the scene in front of you into the picture. It's seeing things with a wider perspective, not seeing the same things on a bigger screen.

i think a tripod / something to stabalize cameras + timer will solve the threadstarter's problem..

speaking of which.. i dun agree that only dslrs can take good night pictures.. :D any camera can.. provided that the photographer knows what he's doing..

ts

no picture, no talk

no one is going to be able to tell what is wrong with your picture, what you see here is second, third guessing

as you can see anything can happen
1) your finger shake the camera when you press shutter
2) your noise handling on p&s camera is not good when you use high iso (most p&s have more noise)
3) focus could be off

i can probably think of a few more reasons, involving anything from human error to conditions to camera problem. you want a good answer? then ask a good question, and kit meant well, so don't be so rude. if anything, i would like to express the thought that you are obviously not well read up on the technicalities on photography.. if that is the case, either go and read up, or be happy with getting the results that your camera chooses to give you.. :(

I see some people getting bitten by the threadstarter after giving advice...still thinking whether I should speak.

Well...photography is both a science and an art.

There're technical things and sciences you gotta learn and accept.

No tripod = need to use lower shutter speed or high ISO = most like to be blur.

Point-and-shoot (PnS) camera = small body, small sensor = electronic noise = higher noise = "blur"

There're many factors....but if people try to explain and help you, you don't like and don't accept, then why do you bother asking?

I see some people getting bitten by the threadstarter after giving advice...still thinking whether I should speak.

Well...photography is both a science and an art.

There're technical things and sciences you gotta learn and accept.

No tripod = need to use lower shutter speed or high ISO = most like to be blur.

Point-and-shoot (PnS) camera = small body, small sensor = electronic noise = higher noise = "blur"

There're many factors....but if people try to explain and help you, you don't like and don't accept, then why do you bother asking?

I think the TS had mention although he did not use a tripod, but did have a stable support.

Status
Not open for further replies.