Curiosity resurrects the LC-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clementli

May 28, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Yes, It has been 1 year since the LC-1 was first shipped to our shores.
Yes, I'm still interested in this antique,
I"m anxiously comtemplating if I should lay my hands on this camera.

I"m considering,

Is it much cheaper now? Is it still on the shelves?
OR
more worthwhile to wait for the next gen of classic cameras? (Digital M..ect)

Comments and Opinions are most welcome .

clementli said:
Yes, It has been 1 year since the LC-1 was first shipped to our shores.
Yes, I'm still interested in this antique,
I"m anxiously comtemplating if I should lay my hands on this camera.

I"m considering,

Is it much cheaper now? Is it still on the shelves?
OR
more worthwhile to wait for the next gen of classic cameras? (Digital M..ect)

Comments and Opinions are most welcome .

Last time i saw, it still had a monster price tag. I vaguely remember, but its something like 1.5k? or 1.9k? haha.. something like that. Saw at those superstores (Best Denki, Courts etc)

The Leica lens is of higher grade i hear, but after testing it at Pana HQ, i kinda felt that the its a dissappointment cos its the same EVF as the other Pana range.. so it has the same problem focusing in low light.

Although having all the manual buttons easily accessible is great!

Consider carefully lor, cos the price you pay is really high for this cam. ;)

LC1 is a masterpiece of the masterpieces in prosumer camera.

Should LC1 launch 3 months earlier (I didn't know LC1 at that time) than Sony F828, I will be definetely get the LC1 for sure.

An fully manual digital camera with top grade lens, it is good for newbie to learn the basic fundamental of photography and for professional to have it along with their DSLR.

I always dream of laying my hands on one of that baby....

So far I only knows happywonders own one... But hardly got chance to see her in our outing....

Hopefully this sat, at pana studio, can have the chance to touch one....

I don't think LC1 will be very much better than FZ20.... It is almost the same in most features, only the feel is different.

Lens wise, I'm not sure, as both are far behind those power Leica lens...

LC1 is a cheaper option to own compare to those Leica camera...

cheers...
see u guys on Sat.

I fully agree with King Tiger.

The LC1 is a most uniquely designed digicam and still is more than 1 yr after it was launched here. Even after getting the 20D and E-300, I still can't bring myself to sell it off.

This camera has many flaws but the lens is certainly not one of them. Its Vario-Summicron lens is lightyears ahead of the inferior Vario-Elmarit lenses used in the other Panasonic digicams. One reviewer even remarked that 'it has held its own alongside one of Leica’s “signature” film lenses: the 35 f/1.4 Summilux-ASPH' in his own side-by-side comparison tests.

With a super fast aperture of f/2.0, the Vario-Summicron is probably the only P&S digicam lens that could blur both background and foreground when used near its minimum focus at maximum aperture producing a beautiful bokeh in the process.

Oh! ... it is still the only digital camera that comes with a built-in bounce flash !:eek:
Check out a very detailed review here:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/leica/digilux2/

The price has dropped quite significantly (~$300) since its launch. It is now retailing at a RRP of $1,699. The street (discounted) price should be lower than that though but I suspect it would still be considered too high by most potential buyers for a 5Mp digicam. :(

i own one and i love it. worth every penny (considering the LEICA counterpart is even more expensive)

great lense (NOT a cheapo leica lens-its the same leica lens used on the LEICA digilux II).
great controls and interface.
great design and ergonomics.
has a real sense of character and feel once you work with it. the combination of the lense and 'analog'-like controls makes the experience of shooting photographs even more enjoyable.

there are downsides for those shooting RAW.

Read in some forum that Best Denki in Ngee Ann has LC1 for US$500 or less. If it's true, it'll be a good buy.

As far as the lens is concerned, trust me ... it's way much better than what the FZ20 can produce.

I don't own the LC1 but I own it's 'twin'. Those 'not so good' stuff includes 'no option to disable noise reduction' & 'no RAW buffer'. Apart from that, I don't see why anyone interested not grab the LC1 if it's really that cheap now.

Well... I used to own an LC1.

Pros:
- I loved the retro looks.
- I like the flash
- I like the generally good results it produces

Cons:
- Expensive vis a vis other cams in the same "league"
- EVF... it wld have been great if it had a optical one.
- 3 X optical zoom not versatile (since it is fixed lens)
- Large footprint (i.e. bulky vis a vis other cams)

Having said that, i still wld keep it then, if i had the money. I just luv the look.

AHA! :bigeyes:
Previously, I had giving up on the Lc-1, after exhaustive research pegged the price in the $1500-1600 range. This is hardly a reduction from the initial launch price last April, and definately not worth the price, when you consider the outdated technology and the recent introduction of Entry level DSLR ( namely the 350D and D50). No bargain, No purchase.
And then, while surfing the LEICA forums, a kind hearted soul pointed out that Best Denki was clearing their stocks for a mere $1099. Yes, I had to get it. And i did. Get yours before stocks run out!
Just hoping to enjoy the camera, before the its successor arrives ( hope it's not too soon!)

bro can share the pics taken with ur lc-1?

Tks tpm cat
woah nice pics u have there
Lc-1
33286728.Abby10m.jpg

rare shot [e-300]
37534926.Cookie01s.jpg

i was hooked to this camera when i first saw it on dpreview and eagerly waited for its arrival. when it was in shore, i rushed out to my usual camerashop to test shoot it. didnt get it for one reason....the image noise. only at ISo100 are the images good. at iso200 above the noise is just too much. only if the sensor is APS size. if APS an quality the same as DSLR, i won mind even paying up to 2200 for it!!

picture quality wise a low end DSLR can beat it flat, though construction is top notch.

also the size is not really compac for comapct. a 300D with a kit lens is about the same size. as for the aperture, though f5.6, you can boost ISO to 400 and still get quality that is just as goo at the LC1 at ISO 100 f2.8.

of cos that is the head speaking....as i type i am still wondering when te price will drop further so that i can get one :think:

digitalbuff said:
Pros:
- I loved the retro looks.

If the LC-1 looks retro to you, I daren't ask what the Digilux 2 is... a fossil?

Terence said:
If the LC-1 looks retro to you, I daren't ask what the Digilux 2 is... a fossil?

:bsmilie:

i have a fossil then!

so far i still love the d2/lc1. despite it's shortcomings, i find it pretty versatile and handy. even when i'm going back to a dslr, i'll definitely be keeping it for street shoots and travel.

The deal in Best Denki is $1099 for display sets of the LC-1. The 2 I saw were in a so-so state. Considerable wear on the hotshoe with numerous marks all over the body. They were a little dirty/dusty too. The elements look clean but that was only with a cursory glance. Both sets were missing the chargers and remote shutter release. There might have been a couple of other accessories missing too. The boxes look worn. A new one costs about $1600 from SLS, less with a bit of bargaining. With the missing accessories and condition of the bodies, I don't think they represent that great of a deal.

FYI, before all of you rush down to check it out.

If I did not hear wrongly from a pana guy, this model is already stop production.
I think pana might be coming up with some surprise soon.... Lets wait for a while to see what they are pumping in around June period.

What I mention above is only my view, and does not represent pana. or any of the staffs. As I said, is what I hear from someone, somewhere, in that building along bukit merah...

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

tkp77 said:
If I did not hear wrongly from a pana guy, this model is already stop production.
I think pana might be coming up with some surprise soon.... Lets wait for a while to see what they are pumping in around June period.

What I mention above is only my view, and does not represent pana. or any of the staffs. As I said, is what I hear from someone, somewhere, in that building along bukit merah...

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

Yo francis,
Now everyone is being careful on what they say! ;p
Let's put a disclaimer to our signature.... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.