Curiosity about the tamron sp 90mm di and nikon 85mm 1.8f portrait lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbled

Dec 4, 2009
I only have one lens which is the 90mm tamron, i'm eyeing for a good portrait lens like the famous nikon 85mm 1.8f...but the thing is, why would i get the 85mm if my tamron is 90mm? is there redundancy here? or i should just get the nikon 50mm 1.4f?

My portrait lens would be used mostly for my travels, 20% abit of landscapes and 80% people.

:think:

Last edited:
The Tamron being a Macro lens may be too sharp for portraiture use and the 90mm will have a max aperture of f2.8 while the 85mm will go down to f1.8.

thanks for the reply, in your opinion would you get the 50mm 1.4f or 85mm 1.8f for full body potraits??

50mm lens, if mounted on a cropped body (not sure what camera TS is using), is rather tough to use for full-body portraiture, unless standing a little further away.

Tamron is a good lens, as you see those white lenses was first pioneered by Tamron in the 60s and till now Tamron don't make cameras.

When using it for portraiture, I'll put on the set of Carl Zeiss Softar filter with I, II or III softening effect. Or better stilll switch to Rodenstock Imagon special portrait lenses with also a set of iris filter. Check with CP.

Status
Not open for further replies.