Status
Not open for further replies.

sathea

Jan 3, 2004
Singapore
www.yaohui.sg
http://medfmt.8k.com/bronlensenvy.html

Excellence in Photography is acquired by Practice, not Purchase - Tim Brown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contest Winners: Percentage
normal (50mm) lens 78%
wide angle lens 10%
telephoto lens 12%
aperture f3.5 or slower 89%
aperture f6.3 or slower 65%
shutter 1/40th sec. or faster 53%
shutter 1/100th sec. or faster 27%
The Amateur Photographer's Handbook
by Sussmann, 1973, pp.115-6

Bongo's Law

The cost of the lens is inversely proportional to the frequency of its use.

those percentages were from 1973 when the 50mm lens was the most popular lens anyway. these days the highest percentage of contest winning shots should be the most popular/easily available lens today, e.g. the standard zoom lens.

Geesh! I visit the Medium Format digest all the time, and this is the first time I come across this article... :embrass:

Did you guys follow the link to the 300/2 Nikkor? Cool stuff.

Was reading the Hassie comparison, the problem is the study is inherently flawed. It bases purchase decisions solely on focal length, but ignores the fact that the commonest lenses are the cheapest, the rarest lenses the most expensive. Knowing MF and LF lens purchase practice, the figures are actually quite natural and unsurprising.

For SLR users like me, the lens is the only medium between thw subject and the film plate. Therefore, the better the lens (and hopefully its quality) the better the image it produces. However, with the intro of DSLR, the film factor is taken out of the equation. The camera body which houses the "film" plays an equally important role.

Thus ppl like myself who will eventually switch over to DSLR will have plenty of these good quality lenses to be use on the new bodies.

My lenses:
18 f2.8 Sigma
24-40 f2.8 Tokina
28-70 f2.8 Tokina
180 f2.8 Nikon ED
200 f4 Nikkor
300 f4 Nikon ED
80-200 f2.8Nikon ED
28-200 f3.5/5.6 Tamaron
35-105 f3.5/5.6 Nikkor

Only the best i guess

Status