culture in CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

besh

May 8, 2005
hi guys,

I still feeling some of our CS members are not so friendly and open in some discussion forum...

like this : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=2676509#post2676509

IF you don't like the discussion forum topic, or content, why don't jsut keep away for don't input anything ?

is this CS only restricted to s'porean ? imagine, ppl from abroad see this forum, how would they feel ?

well, you can flame me if you want, or you can ask anyone to remove my thread.
but you got eye, you know it does happened in CS.
i'm not a old bird in this channel or in photog, so, i just sharing my point of view as a foreigner.

cheers.

frankly, i must say u are pretty lucky...

lucky in the sense most of the ppl that post sarcastic remarks and attract flames have posted in ur thread. so, in a way, ur thread now is a listing of the "flame attractors".

Dun worry, if u surf long enough, u will notice that most of the unfriendly comments comes majority from the people that posted in ur thread.

I have to agree that many bros here have a rather... curt way in making a point. It's not a culture per se. It's just about some people not believing in mincing words I guess.

frankly, i must say u are pretty lucky...

The ppl that post the sarcastic comments in ur thread are the "core" of clubsnap, they never fail to attract flaming by others.

Dun worry, if u surf long enough, u will notice that most of the unfriendly comments comes majority from the people that posted in ur thread.

Well... that's not my thread. i just feel sad for those unfriendly comment.

I have to agree that many bros here have a rather... curt way in making a point. It's not a culture per se. It's just about some people not believing in mincing words I guess.

its not abt believing in mincing words, its abt one word "Respect"

Respect is such a basic item in everyone's life, but yet there is still ppl who doesnt know wat is respect. They used "excuses" that being harsh is the way to let ppl realise their fault. But such way is bullsh!t, they have totally no respect for others :thumbsd:

they think ppl here in the forums are their friends and they can treat them in a harsh manner, but wait, even if they are friends in real life, they ought to show respect to them too.

Guess moral education in our kindergarten and primary school days fail to educate these ppl

Respect is such a basic item in everyone's life, but yet there is still ppl who doesnt know wat is respect. They used "excuses" that being harsh is the way to let ppl realise their fault. But such way is bullsh!t, they have totally no respect for others :thumbsd:

they think ppl here in the forums are their friends and they can treat them in a harsh manner, but wait, even if they are friends in real life, they ought to show respect to them too.

Guess moral education in our kindergarten and primary school days fail to educate these ppl

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Omm.... I have a vision.... Omm... I think the "take it or leave it" comment is floating in the air someone...

Seriously, I think it's also individual's right to say things at it is, for some people. I know frens in real life who don't mince their words either. Don't take it I'm being defensive. I tend to agree that the purpose of saying something is to get the message across. And if the delivery channel is subjected to 'noise', then my intended message will not be received, so it'll waste my time saying it. What am I saying? Duh. I mean, I agree that respect is all well and good, and I subscribe to that. At the same time, is it 'morally' wrong to say things as it is? Why bring in education system? You mean a human being's lifetime of growth and maturity hangs on a system where the working ratio of the moral values imparter is 1:40?

Think what will happen if sarcastic and caustic remarks are said in public to strangers eg in a seminar or coffee shop.

Think what will happen if disparaging comments are written in the workplace.

However, stinging criticisms in Internet forums is common. Some people seems to criticise more than others, maybe, simply because they can't see another person's point of view. Their narrow mind is self focused only. Any other abberation is out of focus and is totally unacceptable and flaming starts immediately with just a nano spark.

We should be more tolerant of other people's opinions.

Someone once wrote, "opinions are like asshole, everyone has one."

Sorry, if I offended anyone unintentionally. Thanks for reading.

Someone once wrote, "opinions are like asshole, everyone has one."
you have misquoted .... it should be ....
"opinions are like assholes, some ppl have two."

To those who believe that courtesy, respect, humility, and honesty are important ways to communicate with each other, may I offer some opinions?

I am afraid you are wasting your time voicing your sentiments.

The fact is that

There are misguided people here who just love to be crass.

If I am allowed to be "kind", perhaps these people really have a problem with the English language. Not mincing words is fine. Be direct and to-the-point is fine. Heard of Roget's Thesaurus?

If I am to be direct, without mincing words. These are just what people called "Boh-Kar-See"! For those not familiar to Chinese dialects, this means "No education". And we know that just because one had attended school, polytechnics or University, does not mean one had been "educated".

Their behaviour seem to be allowed anyway!

Omm.... I have a vision.... Omm... I think the "take it or leave it" comment is floating in the air someone...

Seriously, I think it's also individual's right to say things at it is, for some people. I know frens in real life who don't mince their words either. Don't take it I'm being defensive. I tend to agree that the purpose of saying something is to get the message across. And if the delivery channel is subjected to 'noise', then my intended message will not be received, so it'll waste my time saying it. What am I saying? Duh. I mean, I agree that respect is all well and good, and I subscribe to that. At the same time, is it 'morally' wrong to say things as it is? Why bring in education system? You mean a human being's lifetime of growth and maturity hangs on a system where the working ratio of the moral values imparter is 1:40?

Of course, u "right" in that u can say someone sux or he is stupid or watever crap sh!t, anyway, he can't sue u back so wats wrong? You can go to anyone's face and comment that he looks like an ugly piece of sh!thead, or u can just label someone's 100% effort as a piece of junk, and of course u are not wrong! you just can sue and complain they are wrong! [btw, i know its junk to symbolise morally correct as being lawful]

BUT humans have feelings, so how abt this, i see u in real life and straight in ur face, i say "u dam fat ass with that ugly f&$king sh!t face, u dun deserve to live in this world and show people ur f$@king pathetically taken photo" how would u feel?

Before u say its ok to take this thing, think abt wat if this is said by someone u loved. And think of another scenario, assume u are fat and a stranger who walks beside u just luff out saying u are fat and ugly, how would u feel?

And if u think this is in no relation to photography, think about it this way. The people who "dare" to post their pics up obviously think that they have already put in their best efforts to capture their pic, and hence gladly show their pic up in this forum.

Imagine u are representing singapore in the olympics and u have already endure 7 days a week, 10hrs a day training, and yet u lost in the olympics game. And your fellow singaporeans say that u sux, say that they have wasted money training you, say they u should go home and count the goat, how would you feel?

Of course if anyone still think that being sarcastic is the way to get the message across, all i can say is "sorry, i think you dun deserve to live in this world as u are an alien that ought to live in mars and scar each other with ur freaking sarcastic comments & you are just a dam pathetic person that needs sarcastic comments to get ur meaning across"

And if u think this is in no relation to photography, think about it this way. The people who "dare" to post their pics up obviously think that they have already put in their best efforts to capture their pic, and hence gladly show their pic up in this forum.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
i agree. i think no one would be willing to post their pics online unless in their eyes, its their best effort. who would want to get flammed, right?

*sits back*

*pop some corn*

*wait for the show*

:devil:

steady lah you, nice attitude :thumbsup:

:bsmilie:
This entire week has been really "troubling" seeing so many posts on "bad culture" in CS.
Another one more thread on it..... Another possible show. :dunno: Which still bring me back to the point in alot of my posts. "why?". :(

Mind if you get me a soda too? :bsmilie:

i really dun see anything wrong with that thread that u linked? :dunno:

but yes, i know what u're talking about and yes there are many worse threads.

you're telling pple not to post if they have nothing to good to say, some are saying if it's nothing good to read, then just press the "next thread" button.

could be singaporean mentality, could be just saving ur sanity, whichever works for you.

Hey, don't direct your anger towards me. It makes you a real hypocrite. I already said I agree with you, and I definitely believe in treating ppl with respect. If you are 'right' as you make yourself out to be, be specific in who and what you're talking about. I'm just saying that these people are being who they are, and I'm not passing a judgement on them.

Of course, u "right" in that u can say someone sux or he is stupid or watever crap sh!t, anyway, he can't sue u back so wats wrong? You can go to anyone's face and comment that he looks like an ugly piece of sh!thead, or u can just label someone's 100% effort as a piece of junk, and of course u are not wrong! you just can sue and complain they are wrong! [btw, i know its junk to symbolise morally correct as being lawful]

BUT humans have feelings, so how abt this, i see u in real life and straight in ur face, i say "u dam fat ass with that ugly f&$king sh!t face, u dun deserve to live in this world and show people ur f$@king pathetically taken photo" how would u feel?

Before u say its ok to take this thing, think abt wat if this is said by someone u loved. And think of another scenario, assume u are fat and a stranger who walks beside u just luff out saying u are fat and ugly, how would u feel?

Imagine u are representing singapore in the olympics and u have already endure 7 days a week, 10hrs a day training, and yet u lost in the olympics game. And your fellow singaporeans say that u sux, say that they have wasted money training you, say they u should go home and count the goat, how would you feel?

Of course if anyone still think that being sarcastic is the way to get the message across, all i can say is "sorry, i think you dun deserve to live in this world as u are an alien that ought to live in mars and scar each other with ur freaking sarcastic comments & you are just a dam pathetic person that needs sarcastic comments to get ur meaning across"

there are always 2 sides to the coin.

there're so many complaints that critics are not treating critique seekers with respect.

but on the other hand, i see alot of critique seekers not treating critics with respect. so how?

No end to this argument.

To equate "Boh-Kar-See" people with their directness, so isn't it HYPOCRITISM if one were to behave otherwise? :dunno:

Between a straight-on comment vs one that's laced with hypocritism. One's pick, one choice. Ur call.

Status
Not open for further replies.