CS2 running on steriods

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's very normal. Especially after you have edited a number of large jpegs/raws without restarting Photoshop. Not only CS2, CS3 worse. The memory used after some editing is NOT released. You have to restart photoshop once in a while to release them.

that's very normal. Especially after you have edited a number of large jpegs/raws without restarting Photoshop. Not only CS2, CS3 worse. The memory used after some editing is NOT released. You have to restart photoshop once in a while to release them.

if the memory is not release back, this means that the program has a serious memory leak problem which u can screw the developer upside down for their incapability to design a leak free program.

one of the older versions of windows used to have this memory leak problem, and needless to say, msoft kena screwed upside down.

my cs2 will hit the roof with more than 1 gig. not for photos that is, for layout in very large canvas(6xA1). ram helps, and definitely get bigger hard disk to place the scratch disk on.

restarting once in awhile is an option, but if financially you could come up with 1000 sing dolls, it's time to jump on to quad core, the market is just about ripe.

Restart your photoshop.
If it doesnt clear up, restart your computer.

More memory space and ram would help with out too.

The bigger the canvas size you are working on, the harder your computer is working.

i encountered this prob a few times too. what happen was, i did a whole lot of work and forgot to save. and when i click save, it prompt saving fail, because not enough ram. :angry:

Is there an alternative graphics software other than Photoshop? Which can also be used for photo editing. I made A1 panels today and it took me 5 mins or so to save and open. :confused:

How much memory does that machine have?

Here's a list of some alternatives to Photoshop. I wouldn't trust the review exactly, but it serves as a good list.

http://photo-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

There's also GIMP, of course.

This doesn't solve your problem (I second the advice to relaunch PS now and then), but it's a handy little free utility, System Eye. I keep it in the tray displaying only the percent of RAM currently in use. When PS eats up between 80 and 90 percent, I relaunch to clear the memory.

Here, 30 percent of RAM is in use ...
syseyeoo6.jpg

most of the memory used in PS is due to the history/undo function. if u edit the picture directly, each step is recorded as a tiff of the previous step in case u need to undo. This can be up to 50mb per step for a 8mpx-10mpx file. U can see how this can quickly accumulate to a few hundred megs just editing one photo. there are 2 solutions, one is to edit using adjustment layers. This way, PS only remembers the settings of that layer because u're only editing that layer. Its only a few kilobyetes per function. Also, there's a purge function in the "Edit" dropdown menu that will allow u to purge all the history data. Look in the helpfiles under purge if u can't find it. Rem that once u purge u cannot undo.

I hope this helps. I'm jet lagged so i might be a bit incoherent.

Status
Not open for further replies.