CS "critics" suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you guys, or the TS doesnt like the way the criticism is shaped or directed or whatever. thts what the ignore button is there for.
this "ignore button" is hard to press la ....
imagine you post some images and also the ignore button, then every "critics" say your images suck big time .... and everyone who saw the images knew, except you ...how? then your friends will say ....this, that .... whaa this pill hard to swallow! :bsmilie:

If anyone posts on these forums, they must know what they are looking for. Be prepared for ridiculous comments. I find that I can still learn from comments in these forums but I have to sieve out the real comments from the frivolous ones.

There are a few principles I take when I post:

1. Believe in yourself. Respect yourself so that others can respect you.

2. Don't expect accolades always. If they come, it's good.

3. Listen to others. If many give the same comment, there must be some truth in it.

4. Keep on shooting man. Ian Lloyd says to shoot 100 pics a week according to a theme. That's the only way to improve.

So be level headed and learn. Don't come in here expecting the greatest critics. Don't come in here expecting great advise as well but come in here if you enjoy a community of like minded ppl who like to share. Be inspired by others who create great pics and create your own style in your own time.

this "ignore button" is hard to press la ....
imagine you post some images and also the ignore button, then every "critics" say your images suck big time .... and everyone who saw the images knew, except you ...how? then your friends will say ....this, that .... whaa this pill hard to swallow! :bsmilie:

heh, u need to read the critics before you press the button what.. otherwise how to know who to ignore..

anyway, if your friends also think.... that ur pictures "suck". then maybe should listen to them and improve..

I'm of the opinion that you don't have to be an expert in the subject matter in order to give feedback....

... Frankly, I also thought that bikini shoot series was terrible, but I'd refrain from using words such as "suck". That's like a hit below the belt. If you really want to give CC, then using such words could offend people and cause them to turn defensive.

Or even worse, cause such dejection and hurt feelings that they give up on photography altogether (maybe that's the actual intention - to keep out the "wannabes"?).

You can be perfectly frank in your opinions. But that doesn't mean you have to be rude and arrogant about it.

Criticism is a key ingrediant for imporvement. If only experts can criticise, there will be very little criticism, is that what we want?

Refrain from using the word "SUCK", why? Hitting below the belt, how? The word "SUCK" is offensive and turn the TS to be defensive.

Well, some of the pictures posted are so bad, they not only fall below the "SUCK" level, they are offensive themselves. For the TS, posting such images is really arrogant and rude.

Actually, let's just be frank and truth to ourselves. If the picture is that bad, use the most appropriate adjective to describe it. I will draw the line at "SUCK". Anything "SUCK" and below, I lump them together with "SUCK". Unless, you guys want more granularity, I have absolutely no reservation to provide such granularity.

Now, about giving constructive advices. Well, I might try it more, but damn it, I will promise, I will not to waste my time on images that falls way below the "SUCK" level. They should be down loaded directly from the memory card to the trash bin. Anything without any redemption possibility shoulod be treated as such.

Oh, nearly forgot, guys, it's a good idea to learn how to walk first before attempting to learn how to run.

1. RIGHT OF SPEECH

a. I find it challenging to reconcile person's right to freedom of speech
and the fact that the language is offensive to some other people.

b. Due to different upbringing and the inherent subjectivity of language, it is inevitable
that some folks deem words like "suck / trash / nosebleed" as offensive while others deem
them as perfectly OK.

c. I would suggest avoid participating on the forum if one is unable to
handle people using such language to describe you or your precious pictures.

2. CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM

I believe its useful to follow some guidelines on giving constructive criticism, e.g.:-

a. State What you like about the picture? And why?
b. What do you dislike about the picture? And why?
c. What can be improved and how? If possible, elaborate & give examples.
d. Etc.

Camera-idol Singapore

critics oh critics. Sounds like the CS version of Singapore Idol, doesn't it... so entertaining.

Guys, quit the war of words. Everyone has something to say... because coming in here to post whatever pent up frustration is now a national past time... no face to nicks, might as well irritate another person for the hell of it...

What's the point in arguing? Those who seek real advise should seek out his toughest critic and maybe meet up and go to good bookshops with camera related books and then share some ideas.

In the film era, we newbies would hang out at Ruby Photo at Cuppage or whatever shop you frequent, and chat up with the masters who hang out there as well, and get them to criticise the photos. And you get harsher treatment and in your face, but well... all for the sake of helping us improve.

Well, seek out friends and meet up and talk camera. Don't bother with filling threads of arguments which usually is not photography-centric.

pics looks ugly cannot complain is it?
the link to those bikini photos makes me think: lucky got ppl shoot badly, else how to make a living......so pls continue to shoot badly, under or over i don't care, poses cannot make it lagi good, messy hair with head crop off i welcome.

when ppl comments, ppl cannot tahan, so why comments? let it be, only those who lives in a cave, enjoying looking at their own pics, admire so much on their own SKILLS, be it, don't disturd them, when they post their pics, SAY VERY NICE, the TS will be very happy. Just imagine you are helping them in boosting their confident in shooting more craps. Wo, a good deed a day makes lives happier.

so DP and student, relax lah.

Seriuos tone: Dp comments are always straight to the point, and to the xtend of making TS cannot forget it, so those who kena it, pls open with a bigger heart, take it like a man, and prove him wrong. thats the way to learn.

sometimes i wonder, why should DP show his pics to u guys especially to student? if he ever claim to have a billion in his bank, should he show it 2?

While all this is happening, I'm having an oporto burger hot on bacon and eggs, the prepertrator of those photographs is running off to give it a go again with another lass, doc and DP are probably looking forward to a cold one or mozart in red lights with papers in the trays.

And here I pop back and go:

Holy COW!!!!

Just an observation..happy arguing folks. I'm off for an iced chocolate.

If anyone posts on these forums, they must know what they are looking for. Be prepared for ridiculous comments. I find that I can still learn from comments in these forums but I have to sieve out the real comments from the frivolous ones.

There are a few principles I take when I post:

1. Believe in yourself. Respect yourself so that others can respect you.

2. Don't expect accolades always. If they come, it's good.

3. Listen to others. If many give the same comment, there must be some truth in it.

4. Keep on shooting man. Ian Lloyd says to shoot 100 pics a week according to a theme. That's the only way to improve.

So be level headed and learn. Don't come in here expecting the greatest critics. Don't come in here expecting great advise as well but come in here if you enjoy a community of like minded ppl who like to share. Be inspired by others who create great pics and create your own style in your own time.

One of the best advise I have read so far...

Actually, let's just be frank and truth to ourselves. If the picture is that bad, use the most appropriate adjective to describe it. I will draw the line at "SUCK". Anything "SUCK" and below, I lump them together with "SUCK". Unless, you guys want more granularity, I have absolutely no reservation to provide such granularity.

Now, about giving constructive advices. Well, I might try it more, but damn it, I will promise, I will not to waste my time on images that falls way below the "SUCK" level. They should be down loaded directly from the memory card to the trash bin. Anything without any redemption possibility shoulod be treated as such.

Oh, nearly forgot, guys, it's a good idea to learn how to walk first before attempting to learn how to run.

ha ha ha... you are killing me!!! Well written!

I have posted one or twice in the the critique corner to ask for options and got quite a bit of useful advice from some CS members. I did get some harsh critiques before but it did help me realise what i was doing wrong.

There are a lot of useful info on the NET but there are also a lot a lot of JUNK as well. A good critic or teacher will direct a learner to the relevant/right resources or examples to help him learn/grow. Do you think the learner knows which are the good or bad in the NET himself? Why do you think we still need to attend classes when all topics are already covered in the INTERNET?

A mediocre critic/teacher will simply shout "it suck!" but apparently offered NOTHING to help the learner improve.

A good teacher is harsh but yet tactful. The days of "Old shaolin master" attitude is over, please move on with the times.

It is a pity such outbursts of untactful "suck! suck! suck!" are seen in CS forum. Unfortunately the critics here have not earn much respect due to their mannerism (even though they are supposed to be highly skilled).

Pardon my honesty, I have yet to see a good critic here who thru their golden words, enlighten us making us "wow, wow , wow -in agreements and admiration" and thus earning the respects of the forumers.

Thanks for reading!

if he has eyes, and a mouse button and a couple of working fingers, then pray, tell me, why should i spoonfeed someone when he can just surf the net and look for himself?
theres many good sites where you can see brilliant examples of all different types of genres...
e.g. photosig... flickr...

in any event, ive yet to see any TS, in a response to C&C, say, oh, i dont understand what you mean, can you please illustrate?

underexposure, is underexposure. doesnt take a genius to figure it out.

but maybe you need help yourself? in which case, if you feel you want good illustrations to help your own photography, do let me know and ill bemore than happy to guide you on the right path.

Wow..

Didn't know that I can get flamed for giving critiques.
I think I'll just stick to "nice"; it's senseless, but at least everyone feel happy.

:)

when ppl comments, ppl cannot tahan, so why comments? let it be, only those who lives in a cave, enjoying looking at their own pics, admire so much on their own SKILLS, be it, don't disturd them, when they post their pics, SAY VERY NICE, the TS will be very happy. Just imagine you are helping them in boosting their confident in shooting more craps. Wo, a good deed a day makes lives happier.

What's wrong with more craps?

More craps won't kill us. Harsh critics will. :bsmilie:

Given them a gun they will want to put a bullet into our heads.

Anyone who wants to post a photo will have to buy a coffin first.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i agree with the fact that one dont have to be expert to be critic. not all of us can cook or very good in it, but we do come across food thats too salty, over cooked etc. but we are not to comment since we are not pro?

but does comment have to be rude? imagine you are in a restorant having dinner, than you find the food below you usual standard. so do you call the captian / manager and start blasting language that the general public find rude?

so a primary school student draw something that is not common, so it is ok for the teacher to tell the student your drawing "sucks, it rubbish, what the hell are you trying to show?".

there are newbies telling me they dont dare to post photos for others to critic beacuse they are afraid to get flame!! look, the word is "flame". i dont think they cant take hush comment, but its just that hush comment dont have to be rude.

pics looks ugly cannot complain is it?
the link to those bikini photos makes me think: lucky got ppl shoot badly, else how to make a living......so pls continue to shoot badly, under or over i don't care, poses cannot make it lagi good, messy hair with head crop off i welcome.

so DP and student, relax lah.

Seriuos tone: Dp comments are always straight to the point, and to the xtend of making TS cannot forget it, so those who kena it, pls open with a bigger heart, take it like a man, and prove him wrong. thats the way to learn.

sometimes i wonder, why should DP show his pics to u guys especially to student? if he ever claim to have a billion in his bank, should he show it 2?

sometimes the pic so bad u also say nice, i scared wait next time go to hell instead of get merits go heaven... tell too many lies no good for karma... :bsmilie:

if the pictures are sux and below, i just don't comment

but, normally my pictures also got no comments.... :(

i agree with the fact that one dont have to be expert to be critic. not all of us can cook or very good in it, but we do come across food thats too salty, over cooked etc. but we are not to comment since we are not pro?

but does comment have to be rude? imagine you are in a restorant having dinner, than you find the food below you usual standard. so do you call the captian / manager and start blasting language that the general public find rude?

so a primary school student draw something that is not common, so it is ok for the teacher to tell the student your drawing "sucks, it rubbish, what the hell are you trying to show?".

there are newbies telling me they dont dare to post photos for others to critic beacuse they are afraid to get flame!! look, the word is "flame". i dont think they cant take hush comment, but its just that hush comment dont have to be rude.

eh my teacher did tat b4, say my drawing sucks... then tear it up & throw into the dustbin....

anyway, it works both ways, i also scared to give critics nowadays, cos just few weeks ago there is 1 guy who blast me all the way till he got banned when i just give him advice to improve his pics... while there those who scared to post, there is those who scared to critic... and DP even thou kena blast until no tomorrow already, still continue critic... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.