CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya dude. Cycling at night indeed is more relaxing.
Not to mention cooling, cars and crowd will be much lesser.
Used to cycle from my place at Harbourfront to East Coast Park/Pasir Ris every saturday night. :D

Ya dude. Cycling at night indeed is more relaxing.
Not to mention cooling, cars and crowd will be much lesser.
Used to cycle from my place at Harbourfront to East Coast Park/Pasir Ris every saturday night. :D

That's quite a good distance to cover. Keeps you pretty fit and gives you some pretty nice views all the way too...from urban town, major office area to green parks and sea side and then back home again.

Everyone should check out to see if there is PCN route, it would provide a pretty safe pathway for you to cycle away from the motor roads. But if you can, it is also good to ride short distances and progressive work your way up to long distance cycling on roads with other vehicle. Confidence in tackling those roads will make you a more competence rider. Accidents usually happen when newbie bikers ( or those who take riding a bike for granted) panics and don't know what to do...that when really bad things happen.

Guys
Do you think buying bicycle during Bike Asia will be cheaper? I base my experience from Sitex or other electronic fair that buying camera from these fairs usually will not be cheaper except you'll get more free gifts. Does it appplies for Bike Asia fair?
Sorry, I've never been to Bike Asia n I don't know what to expect. I'll be getting my bikes from Cheap John tomorrow so a little confuse after I found out that there is a bike fair coming soon.
Many thanks again for your advise

That's quite a good distance to cover. Keeps you pretty fit and gives you some pretty nice views all the way too...from urban town, major office area to green parks and sea side and then back home again.

Everyone should check out to see if there is PCN route, it would provide a pretty safe pathway for you to cycle away from the motor roads. But if you can, it is also good to ride short distances and progressive work your way up to long distance cycling on roads with other vehicle. Confidence in tackling those roads will make you a more competence rider. Accidents usually happen when newbie bikers ( or those who take riding a bike for granted) panics and don't know what to do...that when really bad things happen.

Yup, always cycled past Shenton Way. Sometimes still can see pretty OLs just knocked off. Then on the way back, will choose the Kallang route. Went past Geylang towards Bugis, followed by heading to Orchard Road, by the time was around 12am+ already, so Orchard is deserted. :D

Planning to cycle the whole Southern Ridges one of these days. Have to adjust my rear derailleur first, abit out of tune. Just downloaded the manual, will give it a try soon. :bsmilie:

Guys
Do you think buying bicycle during Bike Asia will be cheaper? I base my experience from Sitex or other electronic fair that buying camera from these fairs usually will not be cheaper except you'll get more free gifts. Does it appplies for Bike Asia fair?
Sorry, I've never been to Bike Asia n I don't know what to expect. I'll be getting my bikes from Cheap John tomorrow so a little confuse after I found out that there is a bike fair coming soon.
Many thanks again for your advise

Maybe you could... hard to say, it is not often you get bicycles featured at exhibitions as far as I am aware. Even if they do sell it, I doubt you will get to pay and take it home on the same day. If they are selling the bicycles you most likely have to pick it up another time. It take a while to unpack a bicycle kit and put it together component by component and set it up. It is also troublesome to do that at a exhibition booth and bicycle comes in various sizes..so how many piece do you think they will have time to do it at the booth? You might have to go pick it up at their office or workshop/shop. It takes hours just to fit up one bike and tune it.

Also what if the best deal there is only available at a shop that is over at the other end of the island? You still want to buy it? If Cheap John is near your place ....the trade off you get is..quick service and less distance to travel to bring it down for a fix up or tune up. And since you buy from them, they would treat helping you better. Especially if you already more or less confirm you buy from them tomorrow and then you don't turn up and later got problem with your bike you bring it there for them to help you....you think they will give you priority or not? heheheh.... I doubt you will get to save much as alot of the pricing can be adjusted by what component is used. If you have no idea what all this things are about...how will you ever know you are getting a better deal at the expo or at Cheap John or elsewhere???? Almost every part of a bike, there are many more brands and design then you can imagine if you have no idea what there are.

I would not be surprise if the booth are expensive, most bike featured would be all in the few thousand dollar range. And if there are any cheaper one it could be very specialized ones like those sport foldable bikes that is picking up popularity right now. They look like puny looking foldup bike that you can carry into the MRT but unfold them and you can get into some serious speeding with them. I have seen guys all deck out in super Tour de France racing jersey, pants, helmet and glove...all dress to kill riding this puny machines all the way to Changi Point or round Singapore heheh

If you have not confirm your purchase with Cheap John then just go to the fair and take a look. Maybe you can spot some thing you like on your bike later on which you can order fro Cheap John. He might be able to get a better price for you.

As I mentioned early... there are not many well stock shops here that bring in their own stock of bikes ..brands of their choice or parts... so what happen is they will usually take from each other. For example if I know Shop A is a dealer for GT bike. I can go to him and tell him I own a shop (Shop B) in Tampines and I want to sell GT bikes at my shop...what happen is Shop A will sell Shop B the bike at a dealer's price( depending on a full assembled one or the shop B will do it themselves for even cheaper pricing from shop A) They do this all the time...so usually the best possible price to be had is from two ways. One...the dealer who holds the exclusive rights to the brand of bike/parts...he of course will always be able to give you the best discount if you can convince him...then other is you are so regular at the shop and you do all your buying from him, he usually will throw you a bit more discount for them. It is competitive my friend. And to be honest usually you want more discount, this is more substantial in savings with high end bikes and parts. With low cheap made in taiwan bikes and part where an entire bike is about $89-99 ...which is ridiculously cheap...you can't expect to see further discount now lah heheheheh....

Thanks Sammy888. Great insights....I will not wait for Bike Asia. Looks set to get my new set of wheels tomorrow. Yippppeeee!

So how about a small cycling get together on 1st March - Sunday
Meet at the Junction of Old Yio Chu Kang Rd and Upper Thomson Rd, at the car park next to the Prata shop

Good sunset at the lower Peirce reservoir.
6pm - cycle for an hour or so then adjourn for pratas etc

Put your nick down if you are keen.

Cheers

Think NTU is having a cycling event tomorrow that starts fron sun plaza at 6am to macdonald at east, you guys may bump into them.

Wonder if I have really bump into them...
They are enjoying the ride along the coastal while on the way to East Coast.
Each of them had a number tag on.

Glad that all of them had their helmets on. :)

EastCoastRide-VDay09.jpg

hmmmm.... then i'll have to do more research... I don't really want a mountain bike.. more like hybrid or maybe a road if my budget permits. I hardly go on dirt trails so don't really see the need for a mountain bike.

Why do some cyclists want to ride both road and mountain bikes?

If both, which do you prefer and why?

If only one or the other, why are you so narrowminded or
maybe you have no knowledge of what a mountain bike can do for you?

I ride both and love both just to get the experiences of riding bicycles.
But riding a MTB and getting exciting mountain biking knowledge are
generally way more fun and comfortable than riding only roadies.
Roadies like to go very long distances (100km, 200km even 500km)
to strengthen their endurance.

I ride trails with people who don't own road bikes, but I don't ride roads
with people who don't own mountain bikes. Is that something wrong with me?

:)

I ride road on a MTB.
To me MTB is more versatile.

Yeah. I do feel pretty worried if the road tyres cannot stand the kerbs or other funny stuff when riding on pavement. The MTB tyres feels for tough to me.

BTW, does anyone knows how much is it to get a 26in tyre for a cheap (<$100) MTB? How much cheaper is it to change myself than bringing to the shop and change them?

Also, how much more expensive are the wider tyres? My standard tyres are wider than the other cheap bikes and will maintain them wide as long as it's not too expensive.

Nothing wrong with that. It may surprise you to know that 95% of MTB bought never see offroad. Change to some semi-slick and you will really be flying faster and use up less energy and see more of Singapore. :)

Wanted to change to semisllicks when I first bought my bikes but the trade in price of my knobs were $10 bucks.. so I though I cycle on knobs first..

Its currently 1.95" if i am not wrong..
If I change to 1.25" semislicks.. will it really get caught in drain covers? (Seen somewhere that says so)..

If instead I change to 1.5" ones.. will there be noticeable difference between 1.5" and 1.25" ?

Anyone using slicks can comment? Thanx in advance =)

Yeah. I do feel pretty worried if the road tyres cannot stand the kerbs or other funny stuff when riding on pavement. The MTB tyres feels for tough to me.

BTW, does anyone knows how much is it to get a 26in tyre for a cheap (<$100) MTB? How much cheaper is it to change myself than bringing to the shop and change them?

Also, how much more expensive are the wider tyres? My standard tyres are wider than the other cheap bikes and will maintain them wide as long as it's not too expensive.

Not many choices out there for you if you want to stick to tires that cost less then your bike. (My tires cost me a total of $120..and that is average and getting good discont from the shop) And as you get to know more about biking stuff you find...if you are one of those who buy bikes that cost like less then a hundred. Paying that kind of price will seem strange to you.

So to keep cost down and reason for you to use on your bike, you might have to stick with cheap brandless tires. As you progress to more better tires, you find that not all tires are made the same. There's always something you have to compromise in one way or another.
You can't have it all. When I am focusing on riding a certain terrain long term. I have to do a tire change to one that can tolerate the abuse or offer me maximum performance or safety.

Using semi slick or worst slick tire off-road, especially wet and damn or on very loose sandy terrain....well....get ready to wipe out, slide and fall off your bike when you take too tight a turn. Same goes for very knobby tires when you ride them on the walkway of market, park walkways with smooth concrete or tile flooring, you will wipe out if you are not careful and pedal too fast and make sudden turns or take corners too quickly.

So when I suggest using semi slick, I meant for road riding. I never, Ever. Ride my bike anywhere that is meant for people to walk. Semi slick over full slick tires are also a practical thing as they last longer and some of them have knob patterns that can make them practice still to ride off road too.

If you ride too rough and like to bump and hop your bike a lot or just plain bounce them up uneven grounds, kerbs..etc? You might suffer what we call "pinching" or "snake bite" which will result in blowing out your inner tubing. This is when you bump a a sharp kern or angle and it cause your tire to depress and compress again your wheel's rim and between the tire and rim, if your thin delicate inner tube which if you hit it hard enough will cause it to burst resulting in a flat tire.

More pricey tires have anti-pinch protection wall to prevent pinching but well be prepare to pay more for them and they are heavier too. Even knobby tire can suffer from pinching thus people doing alot of rough riding will get tires with those side wall protection to "lessen" the chance of it happening and happening in the middle of no where and you have no spare tube to or kit to repair it.

But I think I should add that semi slick and slicks are NOT CHEAP if they are made by branded companies like Swalbe, Kenda, Hutchinson, Specialized, Maxxis, Continental, Michelin...etc. You can try finding unbranded ones but as to reliability, type of compound use, longevity..etc...that is questionable and I have never bought any of those type.

As to fixing them up yourself...well...you can try but if you have never done it yourself, be prepared to buy some accessories to make it easier for you to change it yourself. It sound alot easier then it is to do it. And also, bring your wheel down to the shop to see the tire you fancy can fit your wheel. Some of you here think all tires fit all wheels..That is not true. Even the thickness of the tires...there are reasons why some wants a 2.1 or another would want a 2.6 and then another would want a 1.75. My own ride I use a 2.1 on my front and a 1.95 on my rear. And my front tire is not the same as my back tire model too. I use a Swalbe Smart Sam for front and Swalbe Racing Ralph at the back.

Let me explain. The thicker front Smart Sam is not semi slick BUT...it has knobs that are low profile and has a set running very closely at the edge of the tire thus it acts like a slick and offer very little resistance to hinder rolling on roads but it enough knobs to be tough to ride offroad. And the tires 2.1 size and knobs will make it easier for me to curve my cornering and grip. The thicker 2.1 also make sure it boumps off pothole better and I get a more better ride.

The back wheel tire, I use a 1.95. Thinner makes it easier to dig-in into the ground better and drive me forward when I pedal. As it is thinner, it dig and not flare out my rear wheel when I corner tight too. I offset it with the Racing Ralph tire as it has more shallow knobs to it has more contact on the ground but offer alittle less roll resistance too. Plust the rubber compound used means it will wear faster but it is more grippy but yet it is pretty light weight. So as you can see...as you get more into biking, even something as simple as the choice of tire is not that simple.

Also, air pressure also plays a part depending on where you are riding. heheh.. The smart tip is high pressure for riding on road to lessen roll resistance but off road, keep the pressure lower so more surface of the tire touches the ground for better traction and less bumpy and less prone to blow outs.

Thus....think about it. You okay with having tires that cost more then your bike? Think about where you will be riding it most of the time too. Now if you want to really put on those thin cyclo cross bicycle tire, you might have to change wheel set.... and I can tell if you think tires are pricey you will faint to know how much it cost to setup a wheelset for you to just use those thin tires. ALSO.... you might have to change your brake system too...more $$$$$$. Thinner rims uses a whole difference brake system from MTB.

My advice to anyone here who wants to change parts...always bring your bike down to see if your bike can fit it or will it require changing other parts too. Sometime...just because of one part you might need to change other existing part or two.

After market parts are never cheap even if they have no brand. The reason they can sell you a bike less then $100 is because they are mass produced and uses inferior parts and sold in bulk thus you get that cheap price. As you start to get after part parts...just like car parts...be prepared to spend spend spend.

Last edited:
Just gave my bicycles a thorough clean up after rotting for years.
Washing, waxing, de-rust and lubricate all parts.
Most likely will go explore the Southern Ridges soon. :D

Just gave my bicycles a thorough clean up after rotting for years.
Washing, waxing, de-rust and lubricate all parts.
Most likely will go explore the Southern Ridges soon. :D

You are great! How many bicycles do you have?
Must have taken you a couple of days to get them up
and running.

Do share with us your experiences with your exploration at Southern Ridges.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep yourself up on the saddle and ride to
discover and explore more about yourself and the world.
;)

Just sharing...huffing and puffing at the upslope just after the quarry towards Chek Jawa

3299491140_9efd742784.jpg

Somewhere between Kampong Melayu & Nordin

3298661155_a795715595.jpg

Occasionally will ride out to ECP every Sat. Round Island once in a while.
Used to cycle to work every Friday from Pasir Ris to Shenton Way at Temasek Tower but since moving to Revenue House...I haven't tried it out yet.

BTW, there's Singapore MTB Carnival coming this Saturday 28 Feb at Tampines MTB Park.
It'll feature several category including 100KM Night MTB Marathon.

Any CS'er going for photo shoot or participating in any event?

You are great! How many bicycles do you have?
Must have taken you a couple of days to get them up
and running.

Do share with us your experiences with your exploration at Southern Ridges.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep yourself up on the saddle and ride to
discover and explore more about yourself and the world.
;)

Own 2 bicycles, took me about 3 days to get both up and running.
Cannot imagine the amount of durt and dust on the bicycles, not to mention the rust on the chain.
Now they looked sparkling clean. :bsmilie:

No prob, will share my experience once i go to Southern Ridges.
Plan to start at Henderson Waves which is beside my house, towards Kent Ridge, :)

Just sharing...huffing and puffing at the upslope just after the quarry towards Chek Jawa

3299491140_9efd742784.jpg

Somewhere between Kampong Melayu & Nordin

3298661155_a795715595.jpg

Occasionally will ride out to ECP every Sat. Round Island once in a while.
Used to cycle to work every Friday from Pasir Ris to Shenton Way at Temasek Tower but since moving to Revenue House...I haven't tried it out yet.

BTW, there's Singapore MTB Carnival coming this Saturday 28 Feb at Tampines MTB Park.
It'll feature several category including 100KM Night MTB Marathon.

Any CS'er going for photo shoot or participating in any event?

Good way to keep fit. :thumbsup:

OCBC Cycling Event 2009 - 22nd Feb 2009 (Sun)

The OCBC Cycle Singapore event will be affected
because of the heavy rain now. Wonder if the
Men's Open Criterium starting at 2.30pm this
afternoon will ever get started if the rain continues.

At 4.00pm the Elite Criterium will take off at
the F1 pitch. Anyone got any pictures to share
regarding the morning races starting from 6.00am?

1. 50km Super Challenge race
2. 40km The Challenge
3. 20km Com Ride
4. 5km Kids Ride

The Masters' Criterium started at 1.25pm is still on.
The rain is a danger to the participants as they may
fall from their bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.