CS bicycles and cyclist thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Seems we have quite a following....

Esp quite a few who are within cycling distance of Peirce Reservoir...

If anyone wants to get together, do a little short cycling and shooting followed by pratas and kopi, let me know!

Pete

Can share the type of ride, road or trails ? Speed ? Short distance can be subjective, those who are fit, 50 km may be too short. Do you intend to combined both photography and cycling in one ? I have been thinking about doing off road with photography. Till now, still can't figure out how to keep the camera and lens safely in Camelbak. :bsmilie: I know Lowepro has one model that suits this combination, but capacity wise, it is too big and very expensive. I have laid off cycling for a long time and now trying to get back into shape. If it isn't too demanding , may join your ride. If photography in East Coast is of interest to you, can cycle that stretch, 25 km from Fort Rd to Changi Village and then back.

No no, my ride is much more 'sissy' - 10km or so ?
Just use panier bags on the sides. I decked out my previous bike a Hard Rock bike with bags on both sides. I keep my kit on one side, food / drinks etc on the other. I even had a basket in front for little things, but I swopped this out for a Deuter bag.

Nothing too hard, its a chat/shoot session rather than hard core biking... :)

Been awhile since i last cycled.
My 2 GTs are rotting at home. :sweat:

can i have your GTs?? hahaha

yeahh been always wondering how to keep my gear away from the wheels.. and hopefully to keep my upper body free too.. meaning my gear has to go somewhere on my bike.. hmmm

can i have your GTs?? hahaha

yeahh been always wondering how to keep my gear away from the wheels.. and hopefully to keep my upper body free too.. meaning my gear has to go somewhere on my bike.. hmmm

I have a Lowepro Off Trail 2 which is strap to your waist which is good enough to hold one large DSLR with a lens and two other lens on the side of the main bag. The problem with that is until you get use to the weight, you can get abit of a back ache but if nicely strapping on, it offers you pretty good balance on the bike. I don't like to have bags that is strapped to my wheel or on the seat pole or with an extension frame like what you see those backpackers on bicycle do when they travel around the world on them. Off road means you need to be agile and so how you place your bag(s) plays a big part of get ready to fall off and dirty more then a few times if you are rusty to cycling heheh... I also now use a Lowepro Slingshot 200AW which is like a haversack...very good too for riding on and off road. But when I want to combine a long ride with a water bladder and some light camera gear then I would be using my Oakley Mountain Bike haversack (toolbox 2.0) with the bladder built in and very secure shoulder and waist strap system. That one hugs my body well and does not tip off your balance much. Great for aggressive long rides on really bad terrain that require balance.

Last edited:
Been cycling almost once every week, usually on a Friday nite. But so far had not tried to bring along my camera gears when I go cycling. My current bike is a LaPierre, a French brand, bought when I was working in Europe.

I cycle with my friend every sunday. from pasir ris to east coast via the changi route. Occasionally I bring my cam out. Just strap the backpack on and cycle lo.... :sweat:

I have a Lowepro Off Trail 2 which is strap to your waist which is good enough to hold one large DSLR with a lens and two other lens on the side of the main bag. The problem with that is until you get use to the weight, you can get abit of a back ache but if nicely strapping on, it offers you pretty good balance on the bike. I don't like to have bags that is strapped to my wheel or on the seat pole or with an extension frame like what you see those backpackers on bicycle do when they travel around the world on them. Off road means you need to be agile and so how you place your bag(s) plays a big part of get ready to fall off and dirty more then a few times if you are rusty to cycling heheh... I also now use a Lowepro Slingshot 200AW which is like a haversack...very good too for riding on and off road. But when I want to combine a long ride with a water bladder and some light camera gear then I would be using my Oakley Mountain Bike haversack (toolbox 2.0) with the bladder built in and very secure shoulder and waist strap system. That one hugs my body well and does not tip off your balance much. Great for aggressive long rides on really bad terrain that require balance.

Which shop is selling the Oakley Mountain Bike haversack (toolbox 2.0) and what's the price ?

I am interested... but I live in Teban Gardens. By the time I reach there, you guys probably have already went home. LOL!

wow.... where is teban gardens near? doesn't sound like a place I know of.

Which shop is selling the Oakley Mountain Bike haversack (toolbox 2.0) and what's the price ?

I got it at Takashimaya.. Oakley shop lah heheh you never see bicycle shops selling this stuff heh.. No more already. They have replaced it with a new one (tools 3.0) which I did not like as much due to the shape, the helmet strapping system, mini pockets on the should strap for mobile phone, and side pockets. The one I got was the last of it's kind beginning of last year. You can't even see it on the Oakley site anymore, they have hidden it deep in some unknown link. But I got it so, mine looks like this.

45e4c43a60cc4.jpg

The new one is great but just that for me, the last generation was better in some ways. Got it for $189.00. ( they should all cost the same too if you look at the US$ prices at their US site) They change their styling about every 1-2 yrs so if you are slow to nab it it is gone since they don't bring in big quantity to keep it exclusive. This newer one is also the same price. The pockets just not right for me in the end and I can tell you it was a hard choice to make. I made 5 trips to shop to keep thinking about it and envision how I would use it for daily use and riding.

BAh7CWkKIgwxNTZ4MTU2aQtsKwf_OJdIaQdpDWkIaQIAHw.jpg

There's even a Tool 4.0. Must be a new release but as it only just appear on the website, I doubt it is in the shop yet. But it look abit weird.

BAh7CWkKIgwxNTZ4MTU2aQtsKwdxcYNJaQdpDWkIaQKvYw.jpg

Note: Unlike my two other Lowepro bags which are specifically for cameras and lens while you bike, this one I bought for very difference reason but because it is strap on tightly to you on your back, the security is on that so long as you don't fall, your gear is safe heheh... And I have no intention of falling down on the trail anytime soon! :)

With my LowePro Off Trail2, I have ever dropped it twice with my Nikon F4s in it once and my F5, it not only drop but it tumble hard and rolls a lot along with 2 lens on the side pouches. All were fine. The problem and why they falloff from my waist it due to one very weak design on it but then again I doubt it was design specially for biking. The weak spot is the damn big clip that you snap lock around your waist. You have to pinch the top and bottom on the clip to unclasp the waist clip to take the bag off you. Well, as you cycle hunch over, your tummy and cycle pant or crotch can be hard enough that you actually put enough pressure on it that it unclasp the bad as you are riding!!!!. I got around that later by after clipping, I wrapped 2 thick rubber bans around the entire locking device so that it stays lock and that solves it. Something to think about if you are using something similar to ride with later on.

I am interested... but I live in Teban Gardens. By the time I reach there, you guys probably have already went home. LOL!

There's always westerners here. I'm living across your place. ;)

Friends
Where did you all go to get a rack - 2 to 3 bikes, easy to assemble onto a sedan and hardy

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.