CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

CS bicycles and cyclist Ride #2
Date: Sunday 7th August, 2011
There was a shower in the morning and we took shelter at Laborodar Park. :)

CSCyclingRide2_070811.jpg

Are u organizing another one, Im using a brompton =) been through 128km ride on road and most screw-up road with my brompty ..

Are u organizing another one, Im using a brompton =) been through 128km ride on road and most screw-up road with my brompty ..

Canonmono, we have another ride this coming Sunday 14th August, 2011

Meeting Place: Toa Payoh Library concourse

Time: 7.15 am

Do come and join us for the ride.

Everyone is welcome.

Canonmono, we have another ride this coming Sunday 14th August, 2011

Meeting Place: Toa Payoh Library concourse

Time: 7.15 am

Do come and join us for the ride.

Everyone is welcome.

how long is the ride and how many ppl? hope not alot of mountain trail as my foldie brompty wont be able to take it for long ..

Take care using your brompton on off-road in trail type path. Your tires has not much grip and traction. I ride with someone who uses a brompton and I avoid any path that is not tiny wheels or small tires friendly.

Just saw quite a number of tourists on touring bicycles traveling large distances here in Iceland. Infact much more than what we saw previously in summer in south island NZ. Respect when I see them on windy gravel roads up and downhill in the rain ..

Those sandals should be a NO-NO for long rides.

I have read many world travellers on bike wearing Shimano cycling sandals and they kind of "promoting" it, giving good reviews. I wore SPD cycling shoes, cycling boots and sandals. I love the Shimano boots most, good for tracking and both cycling with vibram... excellent. But their sandals equally comfortable. Quite a number of friends cycle in sandals but with more cover at toe's region for long distance like 100+ km. I presume road riding should be fine with sandals but never off road ? :bsmilie:

@forward mostly i will join u for sunday ride .. need to train for next year NTU rally .. think is 168km ---> NEXT TARGET!

@forward mostly i will join u for sunday ride .. need to train for next year NTU rally .. think is 168km ---> NEXT TARGET!

It's great Canonmono to have you riding with us. Make sure you sms me your mobile so that I can make morning call. When is the NTU rally, very challenging
to cover 168km at one go. My personal target is to cover 80km at one go... and it's a long way before I can reach 160km at one go. :cool:

I have read many world travellers on bike wearing Shimano cycling sandals and they kind of "promoting" it, giving good reviews. I wore SPD cycling shoes, cycling boots and sandals. I love the Shimano boots most, good for tracking and both cycling with vibram... excellent. But their sandals equally comfortable. Quite a number of friends cycle in sandals but with more cover at toe's region for long distance like 100+ km. I presume road riding should be fine with sandals but never off road ? :bsmilie:

Thanks Old Boy for the enlightenment. Hope you can join us again in the mid-nite ride in late August. It will be on a Saturday nite. :cool:

It's great Canonmono to have you riding with us. Make sure you sms me your mobile so that I can make morning call. When is the NTU rally, very challenging
to cover 168km at one go. My personal target is to cover 80km at one go... and it's a long way before I can reach 160km at one go. :cool:

I have done a couple of 60KM with my brompty after the NTU rally think there is a 300KM ++ ride as well .. My cycling motto ..

Wheels may be small but the path is long,
When you don't give up, you cannot fail

Well done you all.
Next time cycle by Peirce and the Prata shop area - if I am not working I will go meet all of you... enjoy the cycle...

I will try the park connector sometime, at my lowly 15 km/h speed :)

Well done you all.
Next time cycle by Peirce and the Prata shop area - if I am not working I will go meet all of you... enjoy the cycle...

I will try the park connector sometime, at my lowly 15 km/h speed :)

Np, at the pcn near my house, there is a beautiful sunset, egg york like, so i will go at 10km/h to slowly enjoy and forgotten to take photos!

I own two pairs previously. I took it that FORWARD is bring cyclist with some who are novice to cycle and if they are not the initiated to proper cycling and are competent using normal sandals is not a good idea. Proper Shimano Sandal with clip-ons are fine if you are good with a bike. But for beginners that would not be good for safety reasons and it is not just about off road riding. I got my fair share of knocks and cuts with even my proper sandals with clipless to my SPDs due to the exposed areas. For novice riders best have on a pair of covered normal shoes is better then sandals. If he is a competent rider that would be fine if he wants to follow fashion style. When I organised rides for my uninitiated friends, proper gear is important for their safety. They don't wear them I sent them home.

Helmet is actually more important, at long as u r comforable with ur skills then I guess it's ok, normally i wear slippers to go cycling on road without helmet and almost die a few times .. still i carry on .. btw forward sunday cfm going?

I own two pairs previously. I took it that FORWARD is bring cyclist with some who are novice to cycle and if they are not the initiated to proper cycling and are competent using normal sandals is not a good idea. Proper Shimano Sandal with clip-ons are fine if you are good with a bike. But for beginners that would not be good for safety reasons and it is not just about off road riding. I got my fair share of knocks and cuts with even my proper sandals with clipless to my SPDs due to the exposed areas. For novice riders best have on a pair of covered normal shoes is better then sandals. If he is a competent rider that would be fine if he wants to follow fashion style. When I organised rides for my uninitiated friends, proper gear is important for their safety. They don't wear them I sent them home.

Thank you Sammy888 for the concern. The rider is Isaac who join us for the first time last Sunday. He came because of my invitation but
didn't of the requirement as stated in this thread. I offered my spare pair of shoe to him, but he turned it down saying he won't be
comfortable with it. Though I was riding with him for the first time, he seems a competent rider.

He enjoyed the ride and knew that he can't join in the ride the next time if he is not equipped with the minimum requirement. We rode slowly
and even in the rain. The photograph clearly shows the difference between the two riders regarding having proper attire for cycling.
The other rider is Alvin who will be joining us
in the next ride on Sunday.

Last edited:
Helmet is actually more important, at long as u r comforable with ur skills then I guess it's ok, normally i wear slippers to go cycling on road without helmet and almost die a few times .. still i carry on .. btw forward sunday cfm going?

CS Cycling Ride #3

Date: Sunday 14th August, 2011 - Ride is Confirmed

Time: 7.00am

Meeting Place: Toa Payoh Library concourse (Toa Payoh Central)

Riding Style: Free and easy suitable for beginners

Min Requirement: Helmet and shoe

Type of Bikes: Foldable, road and MTB welcome.

Anyone can join in.

Riders confirmed: Canonmono, Alvin, Regina & forward

Have fun doing recreational cycling, see you all on Sunday! :)

Last edited:
Ridingintherain1.jpg

Riding in the Rain

We were careful riding in the rain last Sunday. However since the downpour was heavy
we took shelter at Laborador Park. Fortunately we have good tyres and effective brakes.
During rain, the disc brakes are more effective than the V brakes. Water can easily get
into the side of the rim make the brake pads not being able to do its gripping properly.

Braking technique is a concern while riding in the rain. We don't apply brakes while turning
but do it before making the turn taking on a wider angle. We also make sure we stay off
painted lines on the road. We do make one big mistake by wearing darker colored clothings.
Now, we'll check the weather forecast before riding but I feel wearing lighter colored
clothes is more suitable for all round recreational cycling. What are your opinions folks?

wear cycling jersey =) i might or just half half ..