CS at the CES2014

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
This is a repost from the CS blog, as the mobile app currently is unable to view the blog entries.

| CES2014 Page 1 | CES2014 Page 2 | CES2014 Page 3| CES2014 Page 4 | CES2014 Page 5 |

[Jan 2014] The Consumer Electornics Show (CES) was held in Las Vegas from 7-10 Jan 2014. Fujifilm invited me to attend the CES, which had about 3,200 exhibitors across more than two million net square feet of exhibit space, covering almost every electronics related - new generation automobiles, processes, gaming systems, comms security, domestic appliances, data storage, audio equipment, health and lifestyle products, smart watches, tablets, and more.

I don't think I have walked so much, outside of ICT, across and through the various exhibition halls, but I focused my efforts on Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Ricoh (Pentax), Samsung, Sigma, and Sony. Key cameras I was keenly looking out for were the Nikon D4s, D3300, Fujifilm 100s, Samsung NX30, and the Sony α5000.

also courtesy of Fujiflim =)

There were a number of highly anticipated cameras announcement at the CES, probably headlined by NIKON's new flagship model (D4s) and the Lumix GH4k. Unfortunately, the D4s was sealed behind a glass cabinet and the GH4k was nowhere to be seen. However, Nikon did push out the D3300, toether with the new AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR II and the AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G, as well as some coolpix cameras .

Nikon 's new flagship D4s

Last edited:
PANASONIC LUMIX - While there was not Lumix GH4k in sight, I suppose we can forgiven them because they had the new Lumix G Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2. According to the site, it is priced at USD1,599.99. I took a few test shots with it... but sadly, was not allowed to take home the images.

Panasonic Lumix G7 w/ Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2

FUJIFILM - There was some anticipation of Fujifilm to announce a new premium addition to the X-series camera body, following the successful implementation of the improvements seen in the XE-2. Hopefully, we will see something in CP+ next month. Fujifilm did announce the black version of the X100s,

Fujifilm X100s

Further, Fujifilm also announced 2 XF lenses - Fujinon XF56mmF1.2 R and XF10-24mmF4 R OIS. Just as exciting is the announcement of their 2014 additions to the lens lineup, including the XF16-55mmF2.8 R OIS (24-82.5mm equivalent on 35mm), and XF50-140mmF2.8 R OIS (75-210mm equivalent on 35mm).

Fujinon XF56mmF1.2 R - I did take a number of shots using the new 56mm (84mm equivalent on 35mm)... nice!! But because they were prototype lenses, I wasn't allowed to download the images. But the good news is that it should be available in Feb'14

CANON announced its PowerShot N100, with unique storytelling capabilities. The main feature is that it allows you to take a photo or video of yourself at the moment the shutter is pressed, making you part of the story of the image / video. However, Canon added to the experience by making their long teles available to use, workshops, galleries, lens develop, printers, and event setting up a clean tech room (marketing their Canon Maintenance Services).

Canon N100 - note my expression in the lower left hand corner of the view

Cut out of the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS

Canon iPF8400

Canon Maintenance Services

OLYMPUS - while Olympus didn't have any announces for CES2014, they did have the mockup of the 40-100mm on display. This projected Olympus 3 lens combo of 17mm f/1.8, 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, 40-100mm f/2.8 PRO would be dream in my travel camera bag, together with my EM-1... but I don't have an EM-1 yet.

Olympus 40-100mm 1:2.8 PRO

SAMSUNG - While it could have been easily lost among the other headline UHD TV, Galaxy Pro, and Smart Home technology, they introduction of the next-generation Smart cameras still took up a significant part of their exhibition. Samsung introduced a couple of high-end products to their compact system camera, the Samsung NX30 and the 16-50mm F2-2.8 S ED OIS lens.

Samsung NX30

SONY announced the "world's lightest interchangeable lens camera", the α5000. 20.1-megapixel sensor with an improved Bionz X processor, and features NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity. Available in silver, black and white, and ships with a 16-50mm kit lens (SELP1650).

α5000 w/ 16-50mm

For Sony α7 and α7r users, you already the SEL28-70, SEL35F28Z, and the SEL55F18Z. You can expect the SEL2470Z and the SEL70-200G very soon, both constant F4 with OSS. Further, there will be 5 more lenses to be rolled out in 2014, including 2 Zeiss and 1 G lenes.

Sony α7r w/ SEL2470Z

SEL70200G

what was a Sony α7

DIGITAL INSTANT PRINTING - These are great at any party!! While not considered new products at the CES2014, POLAROID and FUJIFILM are both pushing strongly on the digital instant printing. Polaroid was showing up their Z2300 and the Polaroid Socialmatic. Fujifilm, aside from their traditional Instax cameras, but also showing off their wifi Instax printer, the Instax SHARE SP-1.

ACTION CAMS - There were a number of action cams at the CES2014, headlined by the GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition, Sony HDR-AS100V, Polaroid XS100i, and some offerings from JVC and HP. But only GoPro brought in 2 sports cars and a speed bikes to mount their cameras on.

Before I wrap up, I would like to thank Fujifilm for the invitation the CES2014 in Las Vegas.

Unfortunately, there were not too many cameras launched at CES2014, and of the cameras and lenses that were launched, we weren't allowed to use our own SD cards (or transfer out images using wifi)... some understandably because they were prototype models. Well, when the products hit the market, I'm sure CS will have lots of user reviews!! But don't over commit to placing down payments on too much just yet, CP+ is just next month!! I can't wait to see what some of the manufactured have kept up their sleeves.

Of all the photo equipment released and exhibited at the CES2013, I was actual most excited about this one - the Domke Next Generation. I had a good chat with Patty Nast Canton, Creative Director at Domke, and am actually quite excited about their new line-up of their bags. These bags look awesome and are have evolved or are inspired from the classic F-series. This is my favourite, the Crosstown Courier (the grandchild of the F-5XB) in a new cordura tan.