CS Army / Reservist tips and info thread

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Without revealing state secrets or sensitive info, I see a few members either beginning their NS or reservist duties. I hope to see others who have gone through it share some of the tips and experience here, so they can benefit, and share.

BTW if anyone likes working in planning and is an officer looking for a reservist unit to join, let me know!

Tip #1, bring more coins for vending machine.......:bsmilie:

** I have no financial interest in any of the brands mentioned **

Lets start Feet Up -

If you are in training, SISPEC / OCS
Its more difficult to bring your own gear, but I find that good equipment makes training easier and less painful or injury prone.

Running:

Lighter members can use Nike / Reebok (I prefer the former)

Heavier ones may want to see the Asics collection or use the Nike ACG range.

Good running socks are essential.

The same goes for marches.

I use Thorlo Lo socks in place of the SAF stuff.

They make combat socks, running ones too.

Another brand from Australia which is not bad is Hole-Proof, and their hiking socks are also easy to dry, comfortable and durable.

I use Avia or Pro-ped soles, and also New Balance (sometimes when I can find them) in my Goretex boots.

If you need to jump - choppper, SOC, para-jump, use the older non Goretex boots, which give better ankle support.

Always have extra socks (and underwear) these are more important than any other piece of cloth on you for camps, and outfield excercises.

Foot powder is another key. I use the army stuff and the St Luke stuff, they are both fine.

If you do get FUNGUS:

- do not scratch - it gets worse
-- use DAKTARIN - either cream when in camp, or powder form when outfield.
--- when not in camp, to aid the itch, walk barefoot on the sand at beaches, it helps, trust me!

If you go outfield for more than week or go overseas, remember your nail clipper!

More info tomorrow!

Good luck to all our brave young men.

C.O.C. number 7 :thumbsup:

#2 small portable radios help to keep your sanity
#3 (for NSFs) make sure the warrant in charge of ICT companies knows more than one spec other than you so you won't keep kenna-ing as ICT replacement because NSmen spec no show.

Continuing on the lower limbs first:

A bit of training before NS helps a lot. You will enjoy army training times much more if you are fit and not struggling to keep up. And you avoid all that remedial training.

FIBUA/ BCTC:

I wear knee pads and elbow guards, which decrease the amount of bruises.

Blisters:

These are a soldier's enemies. So protect and prevent. If you get them, good hygiene, antiseptic cream and cleaning allows quick recovery. Padding is your friend.

Keep your feet dry as much as possible, and change to new socks if you can after a river crossing. Dry your socks out if you get them wet walking in a wet road march during the breaks.

Most important is fitness!
I cannot stress more on fitness on my younger cousins who indulge in computer games.

Don't forget to finish using up your emart credits before they expire.

Don't forget to finish using up your emart credits before they expire.

I finished them quickly!
Especially those about to turn 40 or standing down soon must finished if not kenna 'kantong'.

Reservist

1) smokers, bring enough ciggie....normally end up smoke double the amount.
2) Bring burner, make kopi in the field...hahahah
3) Be coorperative, people say do, we do, people never say do, go bunk sleep. Finish early, normally out pro early. Why try to geng siao geng pi and make everybody unhappy. All adults liao, some even got family.

This is the part of our body which will literally carry us through NS...
Highly essential to train.

When you climb the mountains in Brunei, you will appreciate all the training and tekan session with the logs, medicine balls and all.

On marches, those of us with thicker thighs may want to use vaseline cream, to avoid abrasions, or use bike shorts.

Bend your knees when carrying stores. No sense getting back injuries for SAF. Also learn to bend them in jumping.

In SOC, the higher you jump up, the lower the wall, the less rope to climb and the less steps on the swinging bridge.

Avoid abrasions to the inner thighs, wear bicycle tights for route march and fast march!

Cold cream removes camo cream from face super effectively.

I have 20 sets of no 4 since I first enlisted, 21 if you include a cheesy set I bought to put into my display set...

We will grow, sideways mainly, so give yourself some allowance. Make sure you can squat comfortable in them. This is not fashion, comfort is paramount. You can always tighten or adjust the buttons.

Keep one set for parades and the "smart 4"

Its expensive to buy epilets for all the sets, esp if you are a cadet and change ranks, but the cost of forgetting them is high... so decide which is more important esp if you are forgetful like me :)

Keep a couple sets which have all the badges sewn on them, eg IPPT, JTC, Guards, unarmed combat, jump badges etc but leave the rest blank, as they cost a lot, and sometimes we rather not look too "on" esp in a new unit or meeting regulars who may feel intimidated or even jealous.

Berets need to be seasoned, and get the right sizing and take your time. I sit on them in classes to get them to fold the right way sooner. A nice beret ensure you avoid looking like Strawberry Shortcake!

Jockey caps keep the sun out and are meant to have a lax fit, otherwise you will feel hot. Label your clothes esp the caps as everyone has the same one.

No 3 are working clothes and should not be too tight again. Most units allow you to use your own shoes, but save the $$ and get the army ones for free (or using credits these days).

No 2 are rarely used, so just loan them, but a No 1 is used every now and then, so if you think that is the case, tailor made one. If you hit Major, they used to give you one free (not sure if this is still the case), put all your medals and badges, this one is a smart uniform! You can even use it for weddings.

PT kits during training are usualy standard issue, but later on, you can wear your own gear in many cases.

If you really want to wear a tee shirt under the uniform, get a dri fit one. But if you go outfield, its not advisable, its too hot.

I use gloves if there is a lot of training, for breaking falls, when I need to use ropes, or other field excercises, remember many plants have thorns and rocks are sharp.

Last edited:
I use gloves if there is a lot of training, for breaking falls, when I need to use ropes, or other field excercises, remember many plants have thorns and rocks are sharp.

yes! black leather bike gloves especially when out topoing in mandai. the thorns on the trees there are killers.

camo scarf is another essential item for me. wipe sweat, prevent weird things from biting my neck region... and to save me the hassle of camo-painting my neck due to my crazy PS... :sweatsm:

Mosquito coil is USELESS...attempted to put 4 of them at each corner of the tonnel to sleep overnight, next day all of us kena mosquito bites all over. The best is to put the SAF insect repellent.

The "snake powder" is my best friend when out field, make sure you apply all over especially sweat prone areas. I also bring those guardian purchased wet wipes, $2 for a pack of 3 x 10. Good for wipe downs at the end of the day, then apply the powder to keep dry.

Invest in a sleeping bag... dun be a kukunaden and sleep on the ground sheet like active days.

Also dun be too seow on lar... do what is required, and don't do extra. If you wanna be seow on, you should sign on.

when is raining, even the sleeping bag is gone unless is waterproof on the outside.

Avoid abrasions to the inner thighs, wear bicycle tights for route march and fast march!

Cold cream removes camo cream from face super effectively.

That's a good idea! Never thought of that!