Cruise Ship "Costa Concordia" Ran Aground

Last edited:
Google search result

Googleconcordia-2.jpg

Yes, the survivors will never forget.

Last edited:
and now, for some news updates from beautiful news presenters and journalist.

[video=youtube;7b9EQzsBeUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=7b9EQzsBeUw&feature=endscreen[/video]

Three passengers rescued more than 24 hours later.

Cruise ships are literally floating integrated resorts nowadays with capacity for over 6,000 people. It's a good thing Costa Concordia ran aground so close to shore as the outcome could have been much worst if it has been further away. Imagine thousands of hysterical people in total darkness on a vessel listing increasingly, making their way to the lifeboat muster station from within the labyrinth is already a challenge itself. The mass chaos and panic resulting from a lack of communication between the ship's crew and passengers probably exacerbate the situation as well.

Last edited:
The much maligned captain of the ship did the right thing to try and beach the ship.
After he hit an uncharted rock or reef, he made for the shore to beach the ship instead of going out to the open sea.
So that evacuation would be easier. If the ship had gone down in open sea in the darkness, there would be more deaths.
Remember he got to evacuate 4,000 people rapidly.
The bad thing is that TV news said the captain left the ship before many of the passengers got off.

Got 40 missing passengers. Maybe some got to shore and their names were not recorded. But there could be more deaths announced from this 40 later when they discover the bodies.

Last edited:
The drills are truly chaotic... I was on board in december. Crew members are too inexperienced and not sure what was going on... I had to "highlight" certain issues to clueless crew members during the drills...

"At least three of the 300 Filipino crew members of the Costa Concordia were among the reported injured when the cruise ship ran aground Friday off the coast of Grosseto in Tuscany, according to the Philippine Embassy in Rome."

"We are the heroes - the Colombians, the Hondurans, the Chinese, the crew made up of 20 nationalities," he said, acknowledging, nevertheless, that the orders to abandon ship had "come too late".

A few Italian officers heading a big workforce of cheaper foreign labour on the ship. Labour cost cutting.

Communication gets lost in translation.

Last edited:
The drills are truly chaotic... I was on board in december. Crew members are too inexperienced and not sure what was going on... I had to "highlight" certain issues to clueless crew members during the drills...
Never really did like cruising, was onboard SuperStar Virgo a couple of years ago and there were aunties and uncles rushing to reincarnate during embarkation and disembarkation, don't get me started on the buffet queue. I dread to think what would have happened in the event of an emergency.

Last edited:
Latest update as of 2011-01-17 T 19:55 +8

• 7 now dead, number of missing people further revised to 29.

• Search And Rescue (SAR) phase transiting to salvage phase as hopes of locating survivors diminishes by the day.

• Broke down in the chain of command after mariners mutinied against the captain by launching the lifeboats early before the abandoned ship order was given, "crew resource management" almost non-existent

Last edited:
[vid]AJ6slFRm5Ps[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. AJ6slFRm5Ps

[vid]Wwmz9LN8wcE[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. Wwmz9LN8wcE

Dramatic Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR) video footage from an Italian Guardia Costiera (Coast Guard) Search And Rescue (SAR) helicopter assisting in the evacuation of Costa Concordia.

article20871330f7b3ed80.jpg

(Source)

Conversation transcript between Capitan Francesco Schettino and a Port of Livorno officer said:

"What? You have abandoned ship?"

"Get back on board, get back to the ship and co-ordinate the rescue. You need to tell me how many people are onboard, how many women, how many children. You need to organise the rescue."

"Captain this is an order, I am in charge now, you have given the order to abandon ship and you need to get back to coordinate the rescue, OK. There are already bodies."

"You tell me. What do you want to do? Go home? You now get back on board and tell me what you are going to do."

(Source)

Last edited:
The Italians did not say the combined resources of their entire Navy and Airforce are unable to trace the whereabouts of the large stricken vessel after its accident in the sea. Good for them. They have more sense than us.

Last edited:
[vid]wM9sam2u_Tk[/vid]
YouTube Video ID No. WM9SAM2U_TK

Unconfirmed Italian media reported that 4 more bodies have been found raising the death toll to 11, this is soon progressing into a national tragedy.

All exposed sections of Costa Concordia and the waters surrounding it have been searched, it is doubtful that anyone will be able to survive in the submerged hull unless they are still trap in an air pocket.

Last edited:
Actually, the cruise itself is quite nice... cannot compare to star virgo... There is no mad dash to gangway, buffet are throughout the whole day, plenty of restaurants, cafes, bar etc... Also, cause the journey are longer, people tend to take it really easy and relax... They just need a multi-lingual ex-RSN man to conduct the drills so everybody knows exactly what to do!