CRT vs LCD & TFT monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderman

Oct 28, 2004
Jurong
Hi everyone, I just upgraded my Pc and now using a LCD screen. Now I understand why some ofyou said my watch shots was noisy. I reviewed my pics again and find that there is some "noise"(which is the material that I used as the black background) on the top left corner of my second pic. But the CRT that I had did not shown anything of those noise at all!

I went to my online storage and was SHOCKED when I saw quite a number of my pics were overexposed or "noisy"! So the debate here is, CRT or LCD/TFT is more accurate or close to actual photo prints(not from camera shop)? FYI, in camera shops they do edit the photo a little too, even for films camera.

Sigh, now I do not know which to trust now, I mean all a long I thought my pics were ok with the colors on my CRT and now most of them are not ok on my LCD/TFT! :confused:

Comments?

I had dual LCD. Same brand, different model. Different colour setting.

Personally, I prefer CRT. Maybe ur colour setting on the CRT werent set up properly. Thats why.

Totally agree on that!
The color and brightness/contrast range from CRT to LCD, on different machines, depending on whether the user had done any color adjustment, and gamma enhancement, especially those using Photoshop.

On my home LCD, the colors are rich and nice.. and then when i view on my office notebook, the pics all dull... so low morale.

What do you mean adjust properly? :confused: As long as the color appear ok to our eyes, whether it is a LCD or CRT, will not matter much right? Or is there some site or software or stuffs that we can adjust and test our monitor resolution and proper color/contrast/birghtness settings???

The stupid thing is that i deleted most of my original pics(B$ editing) and those stored in the online storage are not so good! Can even see the cloning that I did! Really made a fool out of myself in the past i guess!

I was wondering why some of you said my pics were ok and some not! Now I know why at least. So can I conclude that if you are to edit the pic with a TFT/LCD, it will appear better on a CRT definitely? Cos I've tried the other way round and it is not.

BTW, josho, some good news for the MO of 62mm filters. I've emailed John and told him about it. I hope he got my emails. :)

spiderman said:
What do you mean adjust properly? :confused: As long as the color appear ok to our eyes, whether it is a LCD or CRT, will not matter much right? Or is there some site or software or stuffs that we can adjust and test our monitor resolution and proper color/contrast/birghtness settings???

The stupid thing is that i deleted most of my original pics(B$ editing) and those stored in the online storage are not so good! Can even see the cloning that I did! Really made a fool out of myself in the past i guess!

I was wondering why some of you said my pics were ok and some not! Now I know why at least. So can I conclude that if you are to edit the pic with a TFT/LCD, it will appear better on a CRT definitely? Cos I've tried the other way round and it is not.

BTW, josho, some good news for the MO of 62mm filters. I've emailed John and told him about it. I hope he got my emails. :)

What good news...?

Your CRT is probably too dark, and your LCD, too bright. Calibrate it properly using at least a visual calibration software like Adobe Gamma or Praxisoft WiziWYG. Note that not all LCDs calibrate well, esp. the cheaper ones.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Your CRT is probably too dark, and your LCD, too bright. Calibrate it properly using at least a visual calibration software like Adobe Gamma or Praxisoft WiziWYG. Note that not all LCDs calibrate well, esp. the cheaper ones.

Regards
CK

Where can I get them? Online test for Free? Or free download?

The pm haben come yet... heee...

LCD can calibrate one oso...? the RGB calibration issit...?

interested to know abt the calibrate! Both my LCD are in different coloring!! Bright and dull. I had to do in between.

One way to do ur comp. Just put ur wallpaper to Black. then move ur screen to one side. As the back of the wallpaper is black right, u take that as an example to follow. Make sure u adjust the brightness and contrast to the black as well which will match the back of the wallpaper.

Once u done it.. move back ur screen to the position. If its too dark, bright or wat, just do the brightness and contrast that wun hurt ur eyes.

Thats something i did in office. As for my LCD, i cant move the screen at all.

Im using Philips. Not a cheapo brand bah.. :sweat:

Philips no good...

Samsung and sony LCD best...

me still using 2 yr old NEC crt... no $$$ to change lcd...

Samsung too bright for me .. Philips is still alright. I had no prob with the brand. Been using for long.. :bsmilie:

josho said:
Samsung too bright for me .. Philips is still alright. I had no prob with the brand. Been using for long.. :bsmilie:
I am using Fujitsu-Siemens. The LCD maybe it is brand new and it is very bright even when the contast and brightness is 50.

spiderman said:
Adobe Gamma comes with Photoshop? Where can I find that feature in Photoshop? :confused: Sorry, I am quite a newbie in PS.

Go to Start Control Panel, you'll need to set the view to classic, so that you can see all the controls. Should be able to see Adobe Gamma.

There are also professional tools sold at Cathay Photo that will calibrate your screen to your printer, so you will have prints that are true to what you see on screen.

Happy Tuning!

rhair78 said:
Go to Start Control Panel, you'll need to set the view to classic, so that you can see all the controls. Should be able to see Adobe Gamma.

There are also professional tools sold at Cathay Photo that will calibrate your screen to your printer, so you will have prints that are true to what you see on screen.

Happy Tuning!

Sigh , can't find leh. :confused: Maybe I am using PS CS? Cos my new Pc is using PC CS.

I guess i have to a few pics and see how it appear on this LCD and from here I will adjust again. I'm using ADSL and download is very limited so download from the net is not an option for me! :( :cry:

Your ADSL not on unlimited plan? Adobe Gamma is available for all the PhotoShop (maybe except the VERY old ones). PSCS should have it in Control Panel. You can also try the WiZiWYG tool I mentioned, but since you have PSCS you can save the trouble of downloading as they work roughly the same way.

All else fails, you can locate the file in your hard disk. Can't remember exactly where it is but should be somewhere similar to c:\program files\common files\adobe\calibration\adobe gamma.cpl

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Your ADSL not on unlimited plan? Adobe Gamma is available for all the PhotoShop (maybe except the VERY old ones). PSCS should have it in Control Panel. You can also try the WiZiWYG tool I mentioned, but since you have PSCS you can save the trouble of downloading as they work roughly the same way.

All else fails, you can locate the file in your hard disk. Can't remember exactly where it is but should be somewhere similar to c:\program files\common files\adobe\calibration\adobe gamma.cpl

Regards
CK

Confirmed it is at: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma.cpl

I've just checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.