CRT or LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Hi,

I encounter this problem recently when I do post processing to my photos using my CRT monitor at home, everything seems to be very nicely done but when I view them on my notebook (LCD monitor of course), I see I have done too much to the photos and they become very noisy. :(

Is there anyone can extend his/her help here.

Thanks!

Chee Ming

Thanks Azure. Will try it on other monitor then.

Who else? help please! :cry:

sumball said:
Hi,

I encounter this problem recently when I do post processing to my photos using my CRT monitor at home, everything seems to be very nicely done but when I view them on my notebook (LCD monitor of course), I see I have done too much to the photos and they become very noisy. :(

Is there anyone can extend his/her help here.

Thanks!

Chee Ming

Are you able to post the photo for us to view ? Very curious to hear that LCD shows more noise ...

Different technology.
I dunno why my CRT look better then my powerbook too.
So I always use my CRT to preview my image, not saying LCD is no good.
Just that they look different on the exposure (@@)

Somemore my CRT is probably calibrated with software.

i think it's something to do with the refresh rate of the LCD. no matter how advance LCDs are getting, they can't really beat CRT when it comes to clarity and refresh rate. which is why most serious hardcore gamers usually swear by their CRT monitors, even tho they are huge!

of course, technology is catching up. samsung recently came up with a 17" LCD (equal to a 19" CRT) with a refresh rate comparable to a CRT. it has become a bench-mark for testing LCD montiors. of course, it also cost a bomb lah! if i remember, u can buy a high-end DSLR with one monitor... :bigeyes:

just my 2 cents...

nightwolf75 said:
i think it's something to do with the refresh rate of the LCD. no matter how advance LCDs are getting, they can't really beat CRT when it comes to clarity and refresh rate. which is why most serious hardcore gamers usually swear by their CRT monitors, even tho they are huge!

of course, technology is catching up. samsung recently came up with a 17" LCD (equal to a 19" CRT) with a refresh rate comparable to a CRT. it has become a bench-mark for testing LCD montiors. of course, it also cost a bomb lah! if i remember, u can buy a high-end DSLR with one monitor... :bigeyes:

just my 2 cents...

I think u got it wrong. LCD is pixel technology, it doesn't need high refresh rate like CRT does. A LCD with 60hz will do as well as any CRT with 60hz refresh rate above. LCD depends on response time. A lower response time will eliminate "ghost" effect. The only bad thing abt LCD is response time is not on par with CRT refresh rate though the LCD technology is catching up, it's still lags slightly behind. I am currently using Samsung 152X with 16ms response time. Quite Good in my opinion, no ghost or motion losses effect when playing action games or action movies. :)

What CRT beats the LCD are the response time and colour saturation. For LCD it has something like 60% colour saturation if I did not remember wrongly. OLED will be the one to look forward to, at 95% saturation. Colour is very brillant :thumbsup:

LCD's are usually a tad brigther. and yesh, the color sats are different

OLED? what's this brand?? Interested to know.

WHOELSE - it could be your Mac's gamma @ 1.8. The colours for the powerbook quite inverse. The bigger the display, the better the colors.. funny

Take a look at this article:

http://www.touchscreens.com/intro-displaytech.html

Based on the points in the article, here are my comments:

Physical size - LCD (+) Smaller size (i.e. less table space occupied)

Display size - (=) Doesn't matter very much. If u need 17" of display area in CRT, just need to buy a 19" CRT monitor. Although a 17" LCD will do the job.

Colours - (=) New LCD nowadays don't have colours limitation (except for those on ur phone :p)

Resolution - CRT (+) multiple resolution without loss of quality. LCD can only support 1 resolution with optimal quality (other resolution will be of a lower quality.

Brightness - CRT (+) better brightness in CRT monitor. No one listed brightness as part of the spec for CRT as it is a non-issue. LCD monitor manufacturer try to sell by saying their LCD got better brightness vs other LCD (strange that they never compare vs CRT ... wonder why)

Viewing Angle - CRT (+) CRT has wider viewing angle, but does not matter very much unless you got dozens of ppl crowding ur monitor every now and then.

Power consumption and Radiation - LCD (+) Lower power consumption (save on electric bill) and virtually no radiation when compared against CRT.

Price - CRT (+) CRT is generally priced lower even if you compared by the same display area (i.e. a 19" CRT vs 17" LCD).

Overall, I think long term wise it is still better to invest in a LCD although the initial cost may be higher. It is better for ur health (no radiation), lower electrical bill in the long run. I have used a LCD monitor for about 2 yrs and I don't missed my CRT at all (although still used CRT in office ... no control over tat cos office issued.)

theITguy said:
What CRT beats the LCD are the response time and colour saturation. For LCD it has something like 60% colour saturation if I did not remember wrongly. OLED will be the one to look forward to, at 95% saturation. Colour is very brillant :thumbsup:

On top of this, would like to add that in most instances, the contrast ratio for CRT is better than LCD.

Which type of monitors are better for viewing and processing photos?? ie, what you see is what you get(prints)?? I'm under the impression that a calibrated CRT still gives the truest colour as compared to a calibrated LCD. Which would you pick??

I will be upgrading my computer soon, and I don't know whether LCD's space saving or cool factor is worth it, then to use a good bulky CRT for processing your photos??

U'll never go wrong with CRT.
LCD is a novelty item. If you're those "He has a 17" LCD, I also want!" type, then the LCD will be better for you.

Yes, CRT is bulky, but it's better for processing photos. But calibration is more difficult.

You people should read the reviews on LCDs at Tom's Hardware

Then you'll realise why a good CRT is still better than an LCD monitor. Of course an expensive LCD monitor like Apple's high end displays may beat a cheap CRT, but just look at the price difference. I wonder how many people who are using LCDs actually bought a high end model? Chances are most people bought the cheap models.

Noir said:
On top of this, would like to add that in most instances, the contrast ratio for CRT is better than LCD.

darkspade said:
Brightness - CRT (+) better brightness in CRT monitor. No one listed brightness as part of the spec for CRT as it is a non-issue. LCD monitor manufacturer try to sell by saying their LCD got better brightness vs other LCD (strange that they never compare vs CRT ... wonder why)

Just to add, LCDs are actually brighter than CRTs. But ... the reason for that is that is how the LCDs manufacturers cheat to boost the contrast ratio. It's easy to just install a brighter backlight. If you use an LCD at the factory setting, you will be blinded by the brightness. However, if you turn down the brightness, you will lose contrast. LCDs always have trouble making out the subtle shades in the shadows due to lack of contrast compared to a CRT.

SniperD said:
WHOELSE - it could be your Mac's gamma @ 1.8. The colours for the powerbook quite inverse. The bigger the display, the better the colors.. funny
Also the bigger the display, it is exponentially bigger the price. ;)

tokrot said:
I think u got it wrong. LCD is pixel technology, it doesn't need high refresh rate like CRT does. A LCD with 60hz will do as well as any CRT with 60hz refresh rate above. LCD depends on response time. A lower response time will eliminate "ghost" effect. The only bad thing abt LCD is response time is not on par with CRT refresh rate though the LCD technology is catching up, it's still lags slightly behind. I am currently using Samsung 152X with 16ms response time. Quite Good in my opinion, no ghost or motion losses effect when playing action games or action movies. :)

oppsss.. sorry. yup, thats what i meant. still working on the CRT mode of thinking... :embrass:

yup, the ghosting effect is a real pain in the butt. i'm having a heck of a time trying to calibrate and do PS on my Dell LCD. lets just say Dell LCD monitors won't win any awards any time soon.... ;)

problem is, now that LCDs are getting more and more popular, prices also coming down, CRT monitors might go the way of dinosaurs. so, give another couple of years, sim lim might not even carry monitors any more.

AReality said:
U'll never go wrong with CRT.
LCD is a novelty item. If you're those "He has a 17" LCD, I also want!" type, then the LCD will be better for you.

Yes, CRT is bulky, but it's better for processing photos. But calibration is more difficult.

You know, when my CRT Mag go berserk, I know its time to "upgrade" to LCD. I had a big disappointment when I got my new first LCD. More like a big downgrade :cry: The only goods are the text on the LCD is clear and colors are nicely saturated but playing games and video were blocky probably due to bigger pixel size? :think:

Sounds to me like another digital vs analog.
Many years ago, many people said CRT is dead and will be replaced by LCD.

"There was a time, when people said that analog wont make it, but it did..."

I am using the Apple 17" Display and my wife the 23" cinema Display.I find that the colour looks much better (on both of them) then our old Sony 17"

but once we clibrate the Sony 17", things start to get the same.

hangyong said:
I am using the Apple 17" Display and my wife the 23" cinema Display.I find that the colour looks much better (on both of them) then our old Sony 17"

but once we clibrate the Sony 17", things start to get the same.

Fwah!!!!! you guys are video editors?.. 23" cinematic display from Apple.... droolzzzzzzzzzzzz....... :sweat:

SniperD said:
Fwah!!!!! you guys are video editors?.. 23" cinematic display from Apple.... droolzzzzzzzzzzzz....... :sweat:

not me... I use the 17" for pictures only... dun play games at all..

wife uses the 23" to do color proofing for magazine prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.