Crossing Bridges V2.0 2005 Photo Trip - Hong Kong And Macau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
We had a great time during the Photo trip to Central Java in May 2004 where 3 online photo forums from Indonesia and Singapore got together for 4 days of shooting, networking and relationship building with fellow photographers.

This year’s trip will be held in Hong Kong and Macau over 5 days from 31 August to 4 September 2005. Apart from getting forum members from ClubSNAP, Offstone and Fotografer.net (Indonesia), this year’s trip will also welcome participants from PhotoMalaysia forums.

We’re keeping costs down to a bare minimum so that means:
1. air travel will be on budget airlines
2. land transport will be mostly on the subways (MTR) and buses
3. accommodations will be at a clean and safe Guesthouse (backpacker style) either in Kowloon or HK Island

The construction of the trip’s itinerary will lean towards shooting in Hong Kong’s less trodden paths, heritage areas and nature walks (YES Hong Kong is a lot more than Kowloon, Wanchai and Tsim Tsa Tsui).

Details of the itinerary will be announced shortly but rest assured, it will be an interesting one, as the participants of last year's trip can attest to.

Some links to check out:
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/hkiidistricts/index.jhtml
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/heritage/ta_heri_139665.jhtml
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/hiking/index.jhtml
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/hkwalks/ta_walk_walk5.jhtml

As per 2004, plans are also on the drawing boards to hold at least 2 exhibitions of images from this trip….. one in Singapore and one in Indonesia and possibly one in Malaysia. So expect to be encouraged to submit some of your favorite images from the trip for a selection process for the exhibitions.

Out of a total of 35 places, a TOTAL of 10 places have been set aside for Singapore (and Singapore based ) photographers from ClubSNAP and Offstone . The cost for each participating photographer is S$490 and includes:

1. roundtrip Singapore-HK-Singapore air ticket including all taxes
2. triple sharing accommodation for 4 nights
3. HK-Macau-HK ferry ticket
4. Trip gifts and prizes

Out of your own pocket:
1. Budget for your own meals (S$100+ depending on how much u eat)
2. Set aside about S$80 for MTR transport, 2 way Airport Express tickets, Octupus cards etc etc transport allowance

What you need to have about the trip:
1. a great open-minded attitude
2. enthusiasm and eagerness to learn from one another
3. helping out non-Chinese/Cantonese speaking bros if they need your help translating
4. being a gentleman if some of the participating ladies need help with their heavy/bulky equiptment
5. in keeping the snoring to a minimum as we’ll be triple or quad sharing

YES, we are currently negotiating with potential sponsors to donate prizes, pay for a couple of major meals, trip t-shirts etc. The trip is happening in end August but because of negotiations with airlines for discounted tickets, I will need to get a list of names confirmed going asap.

YES, it is likely that several photo magazines will be covering the event and coming along. Apart from coverage, they’ll be living with us and are open to helping participants with various types of advise.

All interested parties, pls put your name down here and PM me for details on payment. Places will only be considered reserved upon confirmation of payment. Any and all savings from further airline or accomotion discounts will be returned at the end of the trip.

So, don't wait! This is a great opportunity for a fantastic photographic experience! Places are v limited!

1. Larry
2. sebastiansong
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...

181801.jpg

to reserve your place, pls put your name here in the list and contact me (via PM or email at larry@clubsnap.com). I will provide details for payment. Presently we only need a $100 deposit (for airline reservation), the rest is payable in July. Places are only confirmed upon payment & receipt of particulars. If you change your mind later, you have to find a replacement (or if there's a reserve list, we will arrange for replacement) by 1st August.

any questions, feel free to post here or contact me! :sweatsm:

INterested parties might wish to visit the other three photo forums.

Fotografer.net (FN)
http://www.fotografer.net/isi/forum/topik.php?id=181801
Mostly in Bahasa but according to Pak Kristupa, FN already has 10 confirmed members for this trip.

PhotoMalaysia (PM)
http://www.photomalaysia.com

Offstone [Singapore]
http://www.offstone.com/photo/showthread.php?t=15472
the most common question Offstone coordinator Edng has received is
"Can i bring my girlfriend/wife/family along?"

The reply will be "No". This is a trip for photographers and its not fair to put our loved ones thru this kind of suffering! ha ha!

And please! If your girlfriend comes along, it just means one thing........one place is lost where a photographer who can benefit from such a trip is left out.....so NO boyfriends, girlfriends or anyone not out-of-this-world crazy about photography!

We will compile a FAQ and be able to plan the itinerary better if everyone keep the questions coming in. It will be impossible to satisfy the 60,000 members in all four forums but the organising committee will try its best and is in the stage of engaging potential sponsors for gifts (not notepads and ball point pens) and exhbition possibility.

Pls also note that once you commit to this trip, you are required to help in the organising and execution of a photo exhbition in Singapore. So pls don act blur and say we never warn you... :bsmilie:

Cut n Paste from Offstone thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullyss
Will there be one extra day for mass shopping at Mongkok for camera equipment?

well....sheeezzzzeee.... i expected this question (dont bluff, I know u want to go shopping for clothes too girl!)

Yes, we will get the shopping itch out of the way on the very first day itself. We'll bring u guys to the fabled camera shops of HK which is not far from our hotel and u can shop to your little heart's content!

.....and we shop till we drop or until the light gets warmer at 4pm, whichever comes first..... and immediately head straight over to our first locale..... Tsim Tsa Tsui harbor front facing HK Island (nearby)

This will then allow you to use your newly purchased equiptment in the field over the next few days of the trip at least.

But PLEASE although you're paying for the trip, try your best NOT to take a day off for shopping activities....... must go shooting and make new friends until you drop hor!

[Payment Issues; originally posted by Eddie in Offstone]

For those that are keen on going please put in a S$100 deposit first BY LAST DAY OF JUNE. The deposit is to be dropped into Posbank savings account 021-12076-6 by that date. The balance of S$390 is to be paid latest by 15 July. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT eddie@walkeast.com or sms me at 96611331 telling me how much u have deposited and KEEP your portion of the transfer/deposit slip for VERIFICATION.

If paid person cannot make it we can accept replacement name if its a photographer up to 4 weeks before departure

If paid person cannot find replacement we (you) will try your best to get replacement for the unlucky guy

If really cannot find replacement by 1 August the deposit is lost

The lost deposit will be used to help pay for trip incidentals that benefit going participants like extra free mineral water makan etc etc etc

Best if we can collect this first deposit by LAST DAY of June and full balance by 15 of July (need to pay guesthouse a deposit by then and prepare for full payment of airline ticket balance soon after that)

Seats are disappearing fast

1. Larry
2. Sebastiansong
3. <Reserved>
4. <Reserved>
5. <Reserved>
6. <Reserved>
7. <Reserved>
8. <Reserved>
9. <Reserved>

The preliminary ten seats have been filled.
Due to good response, we are extending another five more places.

1. Larry
2. Sebastiansong
3. <Reserved>
4. <Reserved>
5. <Reserved>
6. <Reserved>
7. <Reserved>
8. <Reserved>
9. <Reserved>
10. <Reserved>

i got one more Seb (paid already yesterday), make that 11 seats taken

1. Larry
2. Sebastiansong
3. <Reserved>
4. <Reserved>
5. <Reserved>
6. <Reserved>
7. <Reserved>
8. <Reserved>
9. <Reserved>
10. <Reserved>
11. reserved

Trip Itineary HK/ Macau [Summary]
This is the first draft version which will be updated and revised once more details are confirmed. We are trying to pack in as much as possible. Participants are encouraged to get in shape as the days are long and there will be a lot of walking. Of course, travelling light would help tremendously.

[Prelude]
30 Aug – Tuesday

(Indonesians and Malaysians arrive in Singapoore)
· 2 hour 2 model shoot at Tian Hock Kheng Temple at Telok Ayer Street
· Group welcome speech and dinner

[Day One]
31st Aug – Wednesday

· Arrival in Hong Kong
· Camera Shopping at Mong Kok
· Star Ferry Ride to Hong Kong Island
· Tram Ride to the Peak
· The Peak Trail
· Sunset/Night Photography at the Peak
· Ladies Market

[Day Two]
01st Sep – Thursday

· Yuen Po Street Bird Garden / Flower Market / Goldfish Market
· Man Mo Temple / Upper Lascar Row / Hollywood Road (Antique Street) / Bonham Strand West (Ginseng & Bird’s Nest Street) / Ko Shing Street (Herbal Medicine Street) / Pottinger Street (Stone-Slab Street)
· Basheer Graphics Book Hong Kong
· Statue Square / HSBC / Bank of China Tower
· Star Ferry Ride to Kowloon Island
· Clock Tower / Avenue of Stars and Sunset / Night Photography
· Symphony of Lights show along Avenue of Stars

[Day Three]
02nd Sep – Friday

· Ping Shan Heritage Trial
· Giant Tian Tan Buddha / Po Lin Monastery

[Day Four]
03rd Sep – Saturday

· Arrival in Macau
· Leal Senado Square
· St. Dominic Church
· Ruin of St Paul
· Monte Fort
· Taipa Village
· Macau Tower
· Macau International Fireworks Display
· Return to Hong Kong

[Day Five]
04th Sep - Sunday

· Free and Easy
· Evening Departure for Singapore

HI! kop(Shaun) and Me(Richard) interested.

1. Larry
2. Sebastiansong
3. <Reserved>
4. <Reserved>
5. <Reserved>
6. <Reserved>
7. <Reserved>
8. <Reserved>
9. <Reserved>
10. <Reserved>
11. reserved
12. rtbh.
13. kop.

me!!!

1. Larry
2. Sebastiansong
3. <Reserved>
4. <Reserved>
5. <Reserved>
6. <Reserved>
7. <Reserved>
8. <Reserved>
9. <Reserved>
10. <Reserved>
11. reserved
12. rtbh.
13. kop.
14. SniperD

hi thanks for registering.....when you put down your deposits, please sms or email me WITH the confirmation number of your $$$ transfer for me to verify

thanks!

just a reminder, those who put their names down on the list but have not put down a deposit ......... you run the risk of getting bumped off out of the list should others just now register AND put up the required deposit before you do (if u havent already made payment).

So far 10 have paid (4 paid in FULL!!) and the others pending payment

confirmed trip supporters/sponsors:

1. Basheer Graphic Books
2. Gilette International

more on the way!!!

Hi Snappers, I live on Lantau Island, where the statue of the "Big Buddha' is located. I have a house there, which belongs to my gran-aunty, and am renting a place at Tai O, down the hill. Tai O is an 800 year old fishing village and is much more interesting than the Buddha at the Ngong Ping plateau. Though they both have their merits, you really need to spend a whole day in each place. The sunset in Tai O this evening was wonderful.

thanks for the update Jerry!!! and thanks for the PM, will be emailing u tomorrow!

Thanks for the advise Latmo!!! Actually we also planned on A21 public bus but now...... we've chartered a 45 seater bus to send us straight to the hotel from the airport!

thanks!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.