(Crossing Bridges ONE ) Indonesia combined regional photo forums shoot - May 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
I'm looking to round up a group of photographers between Offstone and Clubsnap for a trip out to Jakarta/Bandung/Jogja sometime in May.

One of the aims is of course to go there and shoot to our hearts content.

More importantly, the founders of Indonesia's largest online photo forum, fotografer.net (aka FN) have shown very keen interest in hosting the group in an effort to forge friendships among forum members of FN, CS and OS. If I can get hold of the Malaysian forum people, I'd like to invite them to join in the outing as well (can anyone clue me in on who to contact ?)

FN has more than 14,000 registered forum members and being a country that stretches thousands and thousands of miles from east to west, it has become the perfect and most convenient meeting place daily for thousands of Indonesia based photogs

As such, they are steadily accumulating clout and growing rapidly from its start in December 2002 (actually younger than OS and CS). It can gather sponsored resources like paid models, locations and its Photo Rally events in various cities draw good crowds of its members (making sponsors like Fuji very happy)

I'm looking to plan a simple 3day 2 night trip that allows us to shoot both Jakarta and Bandung. Also working towards an evening of photo talks by members of both the Singapore and Indonesian communities.

We take care of our own travel, accomodation and food costs which should not come up to more than S$400 per head. FN will help us in getting sponsors to provide support and also advertise the pow-wow amongst its members who are around where we will be.

FN is located at www.fotografer.net One of its members won an Honarary Mention in this year's World Press Photo contest. If you dont read Indonesian, it might be a little difficult to register and surf that site but I'm sure the closet FN members among us in OS and CS should be able to provide assistance.

If you think you've seen it all as far as landscapes, sunsets and sunrises are concerned.........you aint seen nothing yet until you visit FN members' Landscape gallery (I literally overdosed on warm light in that gallery)

Like both CS and OS, they've got their fair share of salonists, street shooters, studio shooters blah blah blah......

Overall a bunch of really friendly guys who love to joke and cajole one another. Most of them speak/type English that is derstandable......something like the Indonesian version of Singlish. I believe there are about 100 of them (IT Engineers, Businesspeople, managers etc etc) working here in Singapore alone who also happen to be members in OS and CS

No you dont need to be a pro nor own a DSLR to join in the trip. Just looking for people who enjoy travel, photography and possess a heart yearning to make new friends and meet new people bound by a common interest in photography. And especially if you love SPICY food.

Please dont start any name lists yet until I get the dates fixed. PLEASE TREAT THIS AS A PERSONAL TRIP/HOLIDAY AND NOT SANCTIONED BY EITHER CLUBSNAP NOR OFFSTONE.

BUT if the managements of CS, OS and FN want to rendevous and know one another better, sure....let me know and I'll arrange the drums and peace pipes.

ed

Come on gentlemen! Great picture opportunity to be had. And S$400 is really not a lot of money to pay if you think of it. How many people blow several times that amount on a lens, which if you don't seize opportunities like this, you can't utilise! Go for it!

Jed said:
Come on gentlemen! Great picture opportunity to be had. And S$400 is really not a lot of money to pay if you think of it. How many people blow several times that amount on a lens, which if you don't seize opportunities like this, you can't utilise! Go for it!
This is a opportunity many ppl here will die for it. The problem is not the $$$ (i am very sure) but to find the time to go for such a trip due to family commitment, work, etc. Probably 3 or at most 4 days would be ideal. Probably one place/city is more than enough. Indonesia is such a beautiful country, except maybe Jakarta city, with the massive traffic jam (if you are caught in a serious jam, you may take 2 hours for a 12 mins journy!).

couple of Philippinos already sent emails indicating bodily harm to me if they are not included on the trip.......

FN, just like CS, caters to the widest spectrum of photographers in terms of levels of experience......from complete newbies to war photographers and everything else in between

If you happen to read a couple of their threads and see the words Pak or Ibu used .....they're not chatting with their Mom and Dad online. Pak and Ibu (Mother and Father) in Indonesia is used more as a term of respect to address someone more senior/elder/highly regarded

A peer or friend is sometimes addressed by terms 'Kok' (brother) or 'Dong' (dear)

July this year is Indonesian Presidential Election...n' the tense will be very high. If you are a journalist, then good for u to capture how every the political party are running their street campaign.

U can ask FN guys whose office in Jogjakarta. I`m sure they r very willing to help. But ur timing is not a good choice. Better you ask them first :)

yes thanks!

i know about the elections and its preceeding activities......rallies and demonstrations will be an almost every day affair around that area.

I'm also highly suspicious about how accurate they are reporting the bird flu in Indonesia

There's also fears of another bomb attack(s) leading up to the elections .

so those who are thinking about going, please take this in either a negative or positive light on the political, health, safety and traffic situation.

I wont be irresponsible and say that nothing will happen, nothing to worry about, guarantee that its going to be safe etc etc etc....on ANY day of the year anywhere

Nobody is forcing anybody to go.......just make sure your eyes are wide open when you put your $$$ down for the trip.

Trip should be happening in May

hmm.. okie, do keep us posted. If we are able to link up the club there, who may try to further link up with the newspaper side, would be better.

Agree tat everything is risky but there's where we find opportunities too :)

SniperD said:
hmm.. okie, do keep us posted. If we are able to link up the club there, who may try to further link up with the newspaper side, would be better.

Agree tat everything is risky but there's where we find opportunities too :)

mmm...Valuair starting in May also..can get cheap airfare to jakarta !

yeah, can get quite a cheap airfare ticket from lion air and emirat too.. :p

anyhow, me might be interested to go too.. yogyakarta will be a better choice than jakarta though...

ed, pls keep us posted on this thing, thx for the effort man ;)

The founders of FN just posted this in OS.....

".....Me and Valens as founders and admins of Fotografer.net (FN) are very welcome to this idea. I've discussed this plan with Eddy Ng couple of weeks ago, and the progress looks promising.

Let me internally consolidate FN and other photographers outside FN, then we will continue to arrange the trip details.

About political issue, there will be national election on April 5 and other important national political agenda for presidency on first week of June. Let me seek for more important info regarding these issues.

...looking forward to see you guys in Indonesia...

Kristupa Saragih "

ed9119 said:
yes thanks!

i know about the elections and its preceeding activities......rallies and demonstrations will be an almost every day affair around that area.

I'm also highly suspicious about how accurate they are reporting the bird flu in Indonesia

There's also fears of another bomb attack(s) leading up to the elections .

so those who are thinking about going, please take this in either a negative or positive light on the political, health, safety and traffic situation.

I wont be irresponsible and say that nothing will happen, nothing to worry about, guarantee that its going to be safe etc etc etc....on ANY day of the year anywhere

Nobody is forcing anybody to go.......just make sure your eyes are wide open when you put your $$$ down for the trip.

Trip should be happening in May

Yap, read the small prints carefully. Overall Indonesia used to be a very nice and "friendly" place to be in but there are always surprises.
The main concerns now are: 1) dengue fever (very serious), 2) bird flu, 3)food poisoning, especially for Singaporeans and of course the coming Election. But if we go in a group, then i think it shld be alright. Anyway there are a lot of photo opportunities in Central Java.

lauLEE said:
Yap, read the small prints carefully. Overall Indonesia used to be a very nice and "friendly" place to be in but there are always surprises.
The main concerns now are: 1) dengue fever (very serious), 2) bird flu, 3)food poisoning, especially for Singaporeans and of course the coming Election. But if we go in a group, then i think it shld be alright. Anyway there are a lot of photo opportunities in Central Java.

I would like to say a few word here, me as an Indonesian know my country well enough :) :)

1. Dengue
AFAIK it only affect those people staying in slum area. Since most of the people here will stay in hotel, the risk is very small. Unless you have a hunting session to those places.
2. Bird flu
No official report yet from the gov about this issue. It may be true, but it should happen only if you go to chicken farm. So the risk also considered small
3. Food poisoning
This thing can happen everywhere. The best way is to stay away from side street vendor. Singaporean stomach are used to clean stuff, so dont be surprise if your Indonesian friend never got the stomach ache while you are suffering from it.

Correct me if I am wrong :D

this trip sounds interesting actually... keep me in the loop can? i'll monitor this thread for more updates...

hanoman said:
I would like to say a few word here, me as an Indonesian know my country well enough :) :)

1. Dengue
AFAIK it only affect those people staying in slum area. Since most of the people here will stay in hotel, the risk is very small. Unless you have a hunting session to those places.
2. Bird flu
No official report yet from the gov about this issue. It may be true, but it should happen only if you go to chicken farm. So the risk also considered small
3. Food poisoning
This thing can happen everywhere. The best way is to stay away from side street vendor. Singaporean stomach are used to clean stuff, so dont be surprise if your Indonesian friend never got the stomach ache while you are suffering from it.

To add, knowing my country well also :sweatsm: be very careful on your photography equipment (especially for those who plan to bring their *literaly* BIG cannon) ...

Indonesia, like most of the country in SEA except Singapore, is generally not so safe vs. Singapore. I found that most of my Singaporean friend take the safetiness for granted (due to what we have here).

Since you plan to engage FN, I think it best if you stick with them and ask them whether the area you want to go are safe and not safe ... oh ya also careful in choosing Taxi there ....

Rule of thumb, if you plan to go some "ulu" place, better ask one of them to join you :bsmilie: .. renting a car WITH driver also a good idea vs. taking public transport (you know what I meant once you are there) ..

bangkuangz said:
To add, knowing my country well also :sweatsm: be very careful on your photography equipment (especially for those who plan to bring their *literaly* BIG cannon) ...

Indonesia, like most of the country in SEA except Singapore, is generally not so safe vs. Singapore. I found that most of my Singaporean friend take the safetiness for granted (due to what we have here).

Since you plan to engage FN, I think it best if you stick with them and ask them whether the area you want to go are safe and not safe ... oh ya also careful in choosing Taxi there ....

Rule of thumb, if you plan to go some "ulu" place, better ask one of them to join you :bsmilie: .. renting a car WITH driver also a good idea vs. taking public transport (you know what I meant once you are there) ..

You are probably telling about Jakarta not Indonesia. I don't think we can generalize Indonesia by portraying Jakarta only. If you happen to go to other places (Jogja, Bali, Bromo, Bandung, etc) you would know what I mean. The people there have different attitude to their fellows in Jakarta. So, as long as you could avoid Jakarta, except for transit, it’d be better indeed. Happy shooting! :)

hanoman said:

3. Food poisoning

Or it might be our vaccination/immunization is working well :bsmilie:

vozble said:
You are probably telling about Jakarta not Indonesia. I don't think we can generalize Indonesia by portraying Jakarta only. If you happen to go to other places (Jogja, Bali, Bromo, Bandung, etc) you would know what I mean. The people there have different attitude to their fellows in Jakarta. So, as long as you could avoid Jakarta, except for transit, it’d be better indeed. Happy shooting! :)

Well .. you kinda true (especially on the taxi watchout and hire a car suggestion that I have) .. BUT generally big city in Indonesia is less safe vs. Singapore (regardless where you are (Surabaya, Bandung even Jogja) .. Bali in specific is really different as it is a tourist area and it relatively very safe. so anyway it just my 2 cents and that is the impression that I have on my country :sweatsm: . As I said, just make sure that you know where you go and I think you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.