Cross processing slide film is "no good"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
I just learned that some labs don't do cross processing of slide films because it is "bad for the machine".

I'm curious: Really? Why?

Thanks in advance!

having worked in a lad before, i believe some operators believe it contaminates the chemical (usually slides in film chemical).

very possible, but personally dunno how true is it.

I heard that it contaminates the chemicals too. Usually they reuse the chemicals quite a number of times, so maybe the only shops that are willing to do it only do Xpro on the last time they use the chemicals before dumping it?

if u roll your own slides from bulk film, u can use old film canister.

then bring to the lab, dun tell them :devil:. develop as usual.

then both of u equally shocked w the result :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:.

the simple reason is something unfamiliar, better don't do, else someone's head will be on chopping board.

and also, not much profit earning from film processing, no point making such risk.

thirdly, the results are so unpredictable, if the photographer screw up the exposure, most likely he will screw the lab for messing up the processing.

btw, only those labs serve lot of pro photographers are willing to do cross processing, so don't go to neighborhood labs to ask for this service.

the simple reason is something unfamiliar, better don't do, else someone's head will be on chopping board.

and also, not much profit earning from film processing, no point making such risk.

thirdly, the results are so unpredictable, if the photographer screw up the exposure, most likely he will screw the lab for messing up the processing.

btw, only those labs serve lot of pro photographers are willing to do cross processing, so don't go to neighborhood labs to ask for this service.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, one of the labs I asked about cross-processing happens to be one of the better known ones (at Peninsula Plaza), and this is what they told me, about it being bad for the machine.

Anyway, cross-processing is supposed to deliver un-predictable results, no? But I guess the most valid reason is chemical contamination? Again, I am not sure because as you say, labs that serve pros are more willing to do it, so I guess they must know what they are doing, and should be even more concerned about their output quality.

yes, that's correct, cos those lab people know very well about their machine, knowing what can do and what can not do to the machine.

other neighborhood labs, their boss never give a green light to the lab staffs to do cross-processing, and the lab staffs also have limited knowledge about the processing machine and photography, so you are asking them to do something unfamiliar, they would rather say "no".

beside, the technician who service their machine, will not recommend them to do cross processing, else their backside will get screwed if anything happen.

btw, the chemical of the labs processing machine can use for processing many rolls of film, the machine will prompt when to add water or chemical replenisher.

so if contamination happens, the lab staff has to discard whole lot of chemical, flush the machine, that cost a lot of money and man hour.

and if the emulsion of the film peel off during the processing, that will be a disaster, they have to dismantle the machine, clean the all the rollers and the chemical tanks.

most of the pro labs people know photography very well also, and by seeing the film, they know which photographer is bluff one (they told me some pro photographers know nuts about exposure, can shoot bracketing from f5.6 to f22), so the pro photographer know they can't blame the labs for screw up their film actually, unless their film get jam inside the machine.

on the other hand, many people who using the neighborhood labs, conveniently put all blames of bad photos to the labs for screwing the films, even the out of focus and bad compositions photos also become the labs faults. I seen this happens with my own eyes.

so those neighborhood labs would prefer do something which is safe, familiar.

btw, the chemical of the labs processing machine can use for processing many rolls of film, the machine will prompt when to add water or chemical replenisher.

so if contamination happens, the lab staff has to discard whole lot of chemical, flush the machine, that cost a lot of money and man hour.

and if the emulsion of the film peel off during the processing, that will be a disaster, they have to dismantle the machine, clean the all the rollers and the chemical tanks.

This is true.

Thanks for all your replies, especially to Catchlights. Has given me a better insight.

I guess my main concern was whether I was doing the right thing or not. Didn't know that xpro is quite taboo(?) amongst some labs. The lab I go to has been willingly doing cross-processing for me all this while. In fact, it is they who introduced me to it! I also don't want to be responsible for "sabo'ing" people's machine lah.

Status
Not open for further replies.